    first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    Canon Pro1.

    Lori
    kayla, Jun 28, 2007

  2. kayla

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:21:12 -0400, kayla wrote:

    > I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    > and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    > first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    > Canon Pro1.
    >
    > Lori

    How did you create the greyscale? There are several ways that can be done.
    AFAIK - if you do black and white - that is what you get. Black and white
    - no shades of grey, just dithering to approximate it.
    ray, Jun 28, 2007

  3. kayla

    Frank Guest

    If I remember correctly, the secret is in the channels, but I can't remember
    how.

    Frank, Jun 28, 2007
  4. kayla wrote

    > I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    > and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    > first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    > Canon Pro1.

    A lot of printers manufacture 'grey' by mixing the colour palate.
    Few print genuine B&W, which is why greyscale images often
    look dreadful.

    Chris
    Chris Gilbert, Jun 28, 2007
  5. kayla

    mcescher Guest

    On Jun 28, 1:21 pm, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
    > I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    > and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    > first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    > Canon Pro1.
    >
    > Lori

    Hi Lori,
    Are you shooting with the BW mode on the camera or are you converting
    the color image to BW? Try both ways. Also, within PSP don't just
    convert to a 256 color grey scale. This gives the worst results.

    Changing the saturation to 0 will give pretty good results. Also look
    into channels as was mentioned above.

    Chris
    mcescher, Jun 28, 2007
  6. kayla

    Eatmorepies Guest

    >I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    > and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    > first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    > Canon Pro1.

    Try here

    http://www.journalofaphotographer.c...onverting_color_images_to_black_and_white.php

    The channels method is also good - tutorial available on the Adobe website
    but once you go to image/adjustments/channel mixer/monchome it becomes
    fairly obvious.

    Regards

    John
    Eatmorepies, Jun 28, 2007
  7. kayla

    Bill Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:21:12 -0400, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

    >I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    >and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    >first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    >Canon Pro1.
    >
    >Lori

    As mentioned above, play with channels, you will get very different
    results from a strong red channel than the green channel, etc. Also,
    play around with the brightness and contrast to make the greyscale
    photos stand out more.

    Bill
    Bill, Jun 28, 2007
  8. kayla

    kayla Guest

    to create the greyscale I used Firehand Ember and clicked on the
    option "grayscale". It looked okay on the monitor but when i printed
    the photo it was not what i saw on the screen.

    kayla, Jun 29, 2007
  9. kayla

    kayla Guest

    I tried BW once but grey scale looked better but not printed.
    Channels is new to me so I will get studying that.

    kayla, Jun 29, 2007
  10. kayla

    kayla Guest

    I checked the website out and I must go through it. Looks like I
    could learn a lot. Thanks everybody. I got some great advice.

    Lori

    kayla, Jun 29, 2007
  11. kayla

    Mike Russell Guest

    > to create the greyscale I used Firehand Ember and clicked on the
    > option "grayscale". It looked okay on the monitor but when i printed
    > the photo it was not what i saw on the screen.

    Are you using glossy paper? Normal paper will give a poor result for either
    color or black and white.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jun 29, 2007
  12. kayla

    Guest Guest

    In article <>, kayla
    <afwt_hotmail.com@> says...
    > to create the greyscale I used Firehand Ember and clicked on the
    > option "grayscale". It looked okay on the monitor but when i printed
    > the photo it was not what i saw on the screen.

    Try printing someone else's photo, does it look washed out, too?

    Could be your printer/paper combination is not suitable for B&W
    printing, or needs to be calibrated.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Guest, Jun 29, 2007
  13. On Jun 28, 1:47 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:21:12 -0400, kayla wrote:
    > > I have printed some photos in greyscale and they tend to be quite dul
    > > and washed out. Before I try any more I thought I would ask here
    > > first. I am using PSP 7 and I have a lot to learn. My camera is a
    > > Canon Pro1.

    > > Lori

    > How did you create the greyscale? There are several ways that can be done.
    > AFAIK - if you do black and white - that is what you get. Black and white
    > - no shades of grey, just dithering to approximate it.

    In most editors, the black and white mode (1 bit) does not dither.
    The result is like a pen and ink drawing or an old wood cut. No
    shades at all. This mode is also called line drawing mode, but it not
    the type of line drawing that only shows edges. Basically it splits
    the picture in the middle and makes all brighter than some middle tone
    white, all below that level to black. It is what you get if you crank
    CONTRAST all the way up as far as it will go.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jun 29, 2007