Greyed security and other features

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Chas, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Chas

    Chas Guest

    I visited a friend today who is using Firefox v1.5.0.7 it was
    installed by someone else who is currently not available. My friends
    wishes to have Firefox delete the browsing history, download history,
    clear private data, on exit from Firefox. He would also like to
    change the directory for downloads from the default desktop.

    However all the security items above are greyed and of course unable
    to be changed. The change download directory seems to function but
    does not change the folder. I don't see any apply button just an OK
    which is clicked.

    Although the close download manager box is ticked to close manager
    after download it does not. I do not want to fiddle too much,
    otherwise I'll inherit the problem I might create!

    I am at home now and checked my Firefox and all these functions work
    as expected.

    What have we done?

    Thanks for you time.

    Chas.
    Chas, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Chas

    Chas Guest

    No replies! Guess that he is the only one with this problem?

    Chas, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Chas wrote:
    > No replies! Guess that he is the only one with this problem?
    >

    >> Thanks for you time.
    >>
    >> Chas.

    I have never heard of this problem. However, you might find someone who
    has over on the official support groups:

    Note that there is now a complete hierarchy of mozilla support groups on
    the news.mozilla.org server for Firefox, Thunderbird, and other Mozilla
    related projects. Here is a partial list:

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Chas

    Chas Guest

    Thanks for all the overwhelming assistance! Uninstalled then
    reinstalled with no change. However we fixed the problem, he is now
    using IE and nothing is greyed, inactive and works fine.

    Charlie and Ron.
    Chas, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Chas wrote:
    > Thanks for all the overwhelming assistance! Uninstalled then
    > reinstalled with no change. However we fixed the problem, he is now
    > using IE and nothing is greyed, inactive and works fine.
    >
    > Charlie and Ron.

    Using IE isnt a fix, its the problem <g>
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Oct 20, 2006
  6. Chas

    Chas Guest

    >Using IE isnt a fix, its the problem <g>

    Can't figure the logic, would imagine the one which behaves would not
    be the problem. He prefers Firefox, but only if it does what is
    expected.

    >>Note that there is now a complete hierarchy of mozilla support groups on
    >>the news.mozilla.org server for Firefox, Thunderbird, and other Mozilla
    >>related projects. Here is a partial list:

    Thanks for all the other links regarding Mozila/Firefox, however we
    are a couple of old guys so maybe it is all to complicated, easier to
    stick to what works as it stands rather than fiddle with something we
    know little about.

    Many thanks once again.

    Chas.
    Chas, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Chas wrote:
    >> Using IE isnt a fix, its the problem <g>

    > Can't figure the logic, would imagine the one which behaves would not
    > be the problem. He prefers Firefox, but only if it does what is
    > expected.
    >
    >>> Note that there is now a complete hierarchy of mozilla support groups on
    >>> the news.mozilla.org server for Firefox, Thunderbird, and other Mozilla
    >>> related projects. Here is a partial list:

    > Thanks for all the other links regarding Mozila/Firefox, however we
    > are a couple of old guys so maybe it is all to complicated, easier to
    > stick to what works as it stands rather than fiddle with something we
    > know little about.
    >
    > Many thanks once again.
    >
    > Chas.

    Thats the attitude that creates the problem.
    Because it DOES work in IE people assume there isnt a problem with the
    page/site - but there is!

    Along comes a product that uses web standards, and the page doesnt
    display - and people assume its the product thats wrong!

    Inernet Explorer 'guesses' at what a page wants to do and does it, do it
    ignores/doesnt care about proper closing of tags or many type of coding
    errors. It inherently 'overlooks' many types of errors, in short it
    encourages garbage coding.

    Firefox on the other hand doesnt try to 'fudge' or 'guess', it displays
    exactly what the web site is providing, no more, no less. If the web
    site has errors in the coding, oft times nothing will be displayed or
    certain elements wont work.

    Think of it this way. IE comes as a cross-country capable military
    truck, so it can cross most anything, regardless if the bridge is out or
    the road ends. Firefox is a high performance touring sedan, it doesnt
    respond well to fording a creek or forging its own trails. The web is
    suppossed to be paved so Firefox should have no problem, but with
    authors relying on IE for 'testing' their sites, the web ISNT paved.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Oct 21, 2006