Grey popup ads appearing using Msn Messenger

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bun Mui, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Bun Mui

    Bun Mui Guest

    I have Windows 2000 pro. and Windows Xp.

    Both have Msn messenger installed on the computer.

    How do I get rid of Grey popup ads appearing when using Msn Messenger.

    There is even grey popup ads which appears which advertise of website
    which can get rid of those popup.

    Sometimes I don't even open Msn Messenger program to have these popup ads appear.

    Is there anyway to get rid of these programs with downloading any programs?

    Thanks.

    Bun Mui

    Bun Mui, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Bun Mui

    °Mike° Guest

    Canned response.

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Shoot The Messenger
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    After disabling Messenger, test your system here:
    http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost