    price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    Thanks!

    Wolf-==-

    Wolf, Oct 11, 2007

  2. Wolf wrote:
    > I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    > and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    > Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    > alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    > price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    > Thanks!

    Read the ad very carefully, I have seen cameras at low prices, but the
    webpage states body only, no battery, charger, bodycap, strap etc..

    One US web vendor sold the battery for $200 (retail is $70 CAD) he
    flogged a 3rd party charger and so on.

    Not Disclosed, Oct 11, 2007

  3. Wolf

    Steven Guest

    "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    >and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    >Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    >alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    >price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    > Thanks!

    How much is the going rate at present in the US?

    Reason I ask is, it costs roughly 1,528 USD here in the UK (£749) from the
    internet companies and is body only and they are flying off the shelves!!!
    In fact in several forums, folk were trying to import them from the US!!

    Steven, Oct 11, 2007
  4. Wolf

    Sosumi Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in message
    > "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market
    >>product and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon
    >>40d. Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price,
    >>stand alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box
    >>for that price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do
    >>it?
    >> Thanks!

    > How much is the going rate at present in the US?
    >
    > Reason I ask is, it costs roughly 1,528 USD here in the UK (£749) from the
    > internet companies and is body only and they are flying off the shelves!!!
    > In fact in several forums, folk were trying to import them from the US!!

    Are they crazy or just stupidly buying any shit Canon releases?
    It´s a 400D with a new spare tire and some chrome wheels.

    Sosumi, Oct 11, 2007
  5. Wolf

    Mark B. Guest

    "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    >and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    >Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    >alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    >price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Wolf-==-

    Check http://www.resellerratings.com for those sellers that have it for 1/2
    price. You'll find they're scams to get you to pay high prices for
    accessories that are actually included, or outlandish shipping & handling
    charges. If it sounds too good to be true...

    Mark B., Oct 11, 2007
  6. Gray market has not changed over the years. The cameras are basically
    the same with the exception of warranty. And as in ages past, there are
    some serious differences in the sellers. As with any purchase let the buyer
    be ware. You can get ripped off many ways. You may be getting a returned
    camera for example or ... Well you get the idea.

    As for the warranty, the answer is no you will not get the standard US
    factory warranty. You may be a US warranty, but by the definition of gray
    market it will not be the US Manufacturer's warranty. It could be an
    international manufacturer's warranty, but don't expect that. Expect a
    warranty from the seller, who may or may not be around if you have a
    problem.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 11, 2007
  7. Wolf

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    >and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    >Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    >alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    >price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Wolf-==-

    I would not recommend a grey market digital camera. Although they tend to be
    reliable, If there should be a problem, Canon won't repair a grey market
    camera under warranty. I'd consider a grey market lens as these tend to have
    less problems.

    Also beware of amazing low prices. If it is much lower than a reliable
    seller, such as B&H, be careful.

    JohnR66, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Wolf

    Steven Guest

    "Sosumi" <> wrote in message

    > "Steven" <> wrote in message
    >> "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>>I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market
    >>>product and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon
    >>>40d. Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price,
    >>>stand alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box
    >>>for that price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do
    >>>it?
    >>> Thanks!

    >> How much is the going rate at present in the US?
    >>
    >> Reason I ask is, it costs roughly 1,528 USD here in the UK (£749) from
    >> the internet companies and is body only and they are flying off the
    >> shelves!!! In fact in several forums, folk were trying to import them
    >> from the US!!

    > Are they crazy or just stupidly buying any shit Canon releases?
    > It´s a 400D with a new spare tire and some chrome wheels.

    You have obviously not used one then? The 400D isn't even in the same model
    category.

    Steven, Oct 11, 2007
  9. Wolf

    Bob S Guest

    Wolf wrote:
    > I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    > and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    > Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    > alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    > price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Wolf-==-

    Half price? I always remember what my Dad used to say, If it sounds to
    good to be true, it probably isn't.....

    Beware of those dealers...... Look at http://www.resellerratings.com
    before you buy.

    Check with Canon for accurate answers.

    Quite some time ago it was explained to me that Canon has a world wide
    warranty but with a catch. Authorized Canon repair shops won't work on
    Grey Market stuff. It has to go to Canon. And, depending on various
    factors it may have to go to Japan for repair. I don't know if this is
    still true but checking with Canon is the best way to get the straight scoop

    Bob

    Bob S, Oct 12, 2007
  10. Wolf

    Bob S Guest

    Sosumi wrote:

    > Are they crazy or just stupidly buying any shit Canon releases?
    > It´s a 400D with a new spare tire and some chrome wheels.

    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. We knew that by
    your choice of words.

    Bob S, Oct 12, 2007
  11. Wolf

    Bob S Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:

    > I would not recommend a grey market digital camera. Although they tend to be
    > reliable, If there should be a problem, Canon won't repair a grey market
    > camera under warranty. I'd consider a grey market lens as these tend to have
    > less problems.
    >
    > Also beware of amazing low prices. If it is much lower than a reliable
    > seller, such as B&H, be careful.

    Or Adorama or Best Price Audio Video.... Along with B&H some of the few
    reputab;e mail order houses.....

    Bob S, Oct 12, 2007
  12. Wolf

    Bob S Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >> I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
    >> and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
    >> Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
    >> alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
    >> price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Wolf-==-
    >>

    > Check http://www.resellerratings.com for those sellers that have it for 1/2
    > price. You'll find they're scams to get you to pay high prices for
    > accessories that are actually included, or outlandish shipping & handling
    > charges. If it sounds too good to be true...

    Go to
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=15653
    and click on "whats in the box" to find out what CAnon ships with the 40D

    Bob

    Bob S, Oct 12, 2007
  13. Wolf

    Mark B. Guest

    "Sosumi" <> wrote in message

    > "Steven" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How much is the going rate at present in the US?
    >>
    >> Reason I ask is, it costs roughly 1,528 USD here in the UK (£749) from
    >> the internet companies and is body only and they are flying off the
    >> shelves!!! In fact in several forums, folk were trying to import them
    >> from the US!!

    > Are they crazy or just stupidly buying any shit Canon releases?
    > It´s a 400D with a new spare tire and some chrome wheels.

    Are you trolling, or just totally clueless? If it's the latter, I suggest
    you compare the 2 models:

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

    Mark B., Oct 12, 2007
  14. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
    response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
    the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
    sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
    retail and let you know how it turns out.

    Thanks for your time

    wolf-==-

    Wolf, Oct 13, 2007
  15. Wolf

    Bob S Guest

    Wolf wrote:
    > From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    > that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    > anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    > warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    > Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    > above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
    > response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    > many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    > warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    > returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
    > the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
    > sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
    > retail and let you know how it turns out.
    >
    > Thanks for your time

    Wow! You're gutsy......

    Before, if its not to late, you gamble with your credit card have you
    checked the dealer with http://www.resellerratings.com? Could save you
    some grief...... Have you checked Canon's web site and looked at what
    you get in the box Canon ships to the dealer?

    BTW, gray market are not factory returns and refurbs as you said. They
    are not distributed by Canon USA.

    Keep us updated......

    Bob S

    Bob S, Oct 13, 2007
  16. Wolf

    EAL Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <>
    wrote:

    >From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    >that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    >anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    >warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    >Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    >above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
    >response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    >many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    >warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    >returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
    >the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
    >sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
    >retail and let you know how it turns out.
    >
    >Thanks for your time

    You're welcome.

    I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.

    The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
    weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
    earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
    trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
    5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.

    The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

    Just my experience, YMMV.

    I wish you lots of luck. Pls let us know how it turns out.

    Ed

    EAL, Oct 13, 2007
  17. EAL wrote:
    []
    > I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
    >
    > The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
    > weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
    > earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
    > trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
    > 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
    >
    > The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.
    >
    > Just my experience, YMMV.
    >
    > I wish you lots of luck. Pls let us know how it turns out.
    >
    > Ed

    Doesn't seem a very good reliability record, does it?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 13, 2007
  18. Wolf

    Steven Guest

    "EAL" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    >>that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    >>anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    >>warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    >>Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    >>above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
    >>response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    >>many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    >>warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    >>returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
    >>and
    >>the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs"
    >>sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
    >>retail and let you know how it turns out.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your time

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
    >
    > The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
    > weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
    > earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
    > trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
    > 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
    >
    > The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

    What make / model was your zooms?

    Steven, Oct 13, 2007
  19. Wolf

    Steven Guest

    "Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    > that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    > anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    > warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    > Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    > above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
    > a response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    > many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    > warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    > returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
    > and the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory
    > refurbs" to sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon
    > 40D at 1/2 retail and let you know how it turns out.

    I think you have got the grey market mixed up with the refurbished market.
    The grey market just means the camera is bought from a different country and
    wasn't intended to be sold in your country. Absolutely nothing to do with
    defects.

    In the UK grey market cameras doesn't mean no accessories etc. It is the
    exact same boxed camera you could buy in the UK including manuals, leads,
    disks etc. The only difference being it wasn't intended to be bought in that
    country so the manual may be in a different language depending what country
    it should be sold in.

    I have bought grey market before from Hong Kong but it never needed repair
    so can't comment personally on this side but do know others that have bought
    grey market and Canon UK took over the warranty!!!

    Steven, Oct 13, 2007
  20. Wolf

    EAL Guest

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:37:00 +0100, "Steven" <>
    wrote:

    >"EAL" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
    >>>that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
    >>>anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
    >>>warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
    >>>Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
    >>>above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
    >>>response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
    >>>many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
    >>>warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
    >>>returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
    >>>and
    >>>the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs"
    >>>sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
    >>>retail and let you know how it turns out.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your time

    >> You're welcome.
    >>
    >> I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
    >>
    >> The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
    >> weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
    >> earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
    >> trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
    >> 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
    >>
    >> The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

    >What make / model was your zooms?

    My 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM was repaired due to the well-known sharpness
    issue when used vertically; the 17-55 f2.8 is being fixed (I hope...
    one never knows for sure until it is back) due to very bad erratic
    focusing, whether in MF or AF... but the problems were possibly due to
    the body... still need to test them together. (Body worked fine with
    the other lenses, though.)

    The 18-55mm kit and 10-22mm seem to be fine.

    They are all Canons.

    Ed

    EAL, Oct 13, 2007