    Talk to you all soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:30:27 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

    > Since some of you have offered your thoughts and suggestions in the past, I
    > thought I would share the release of the P series cameras from Kodak. They
    > incorporate a lot of features but mostly they have the features many of you
    > shared with me in the past, i.e. RAW and TIFF file formats (no compression).
    > An Image Stability feature, 12X optical lens, F/2.8 Wide angle lens at 28mm,
    > a hot shot on top of camera, and more.

    Among 'more', does that include a rugged battery door cover and
    (hopefully) the ability to use AA batteries? And if there are any
    pictures of the hot shot on top of the camera, please post,
    especially if any of them include RB perched on top. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Ronald Baird

    Walter Banks Guest

    Good news. Any chance that any of the uncompressed modes will be part of existing camera firmware updates?

    w..

    Walter Banks, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Ronald Baird

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings ASAAR,

    Although I am not on top of the camera you can get a pretty good view of it
    by going to the following site. If you have Flash installed to your
    browser, you can move the camera around for a full 360 view. Give it a try.

    I will try to get my hands on one and share the images.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:30:07 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

    > Although I am not on top of the camera you can get a pretty good
    > view of it by going to the following site.

    Details to follow? :)

    >>> I thought I would share the release of the P series cameras from Kodak

    . . .

    > I will try to get my hands on one and share the images.

    Is this the only camera in the P series that's being rolled out at
    this time?

    ASAAR, Aug 3, 2005
  6. Ronald Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Walter Banks wrote:
    > Good news. Any chance that any of the uncompressed modes will be part of existing camera firmware updates?
    >
    > w..
    >

    > Ronald Baird wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Everyone,
    >>
    >> Since some of you have offered your thoughts and suggestions in the past, I
    >> thought I would share the release of the P series cameras from Kodak. They
    >> incorporate a lot of features but mostly they have the features many of you
    >> shared with me in the past, i.e. RAW and TIFF file formats (no compression).
    >> An Image Stability feature, 12X optical lens, F/2.8 Wide angle lens at 28mm,
    >> a hot shot on top of camera, and more. Please do not take this as my
    >> promoting or advertising, as I am simply alerting all that Kodak has
    >> listened to you and come out with a camera that includes these features.
    >> Check the web site for details.
    >>
    >> Talk to you all soon,
    >>
    >> Ron Baird
    >> Eastman Kodak Company

    It is not the policy of Kodak to add features with firmware updates. At
    least they have not, to my knowledge, done so in the past. I wouldn't
    hold my breath.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Ronald Baird

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Whoops,

    Better give you the sites.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/p880

    http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

    Enjoy,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Ronald Baird

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi ASAAR

    There are two cameras in the P series being released - the P850 and P880.
    The 880 has the 8 meg sensor with a 5.8 optical zoom and a 2.5 inch screen.
    Also the P850 has a 5 meg sensor with a 12 X zoom and IS. They are both on
    display at the Kodak web site

    http://www.kodak.com/go/p850 or 880

    Talk to you soon, ASAAR,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodfak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Aug 4, 2005
  10. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:19:02 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

    > Talk to you soon, ASAAR,

    But I talked *far* too soon. I was intending to SAVE a reply
    prior to visiting http://www.kodak.com/go/p850, but accidentally
    clicked the SEND button instead.

    ASAAR, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:19:02 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

    > There are two cameras in the P series being released - the P850 and P880.
    > The 880 has the 8 meg sensor with a 5.8 optical zoom and a 2.5 inch screen.
    > Also the P850 has a 5 meg sensor with a 12 X zoom and IS. They are both on
    > display at the Kodak web site
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/p850 or 880

    www.kodak.com seems to be having difficulties. Whether I use the
    links you provided, or try to search for other known Kodak cameras,
    I get an error message stating:

    > Sorry, the page you were trying to access,
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml
    >
    > does not exist.

    While the Kodak website seems to be working, when I click on the
    link that's supposed to allow me to select a particular (consumer)
    digital camera, or open that link in a new page, it takes me back to
    the same "Products and Services" web page. The links you provided
    resolved to these addresses, but they eventually produced identical
    error messages, as shown above:

    > http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7391
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7373

    I did find descriptions and Kodak's press release at dpreview.com,
    but there's a mistake in the copy for the P850, probably because the
    tech. writer Kodak used isn't a photographer. It said:

    > Optical image stabilization, combined with the advanced, hybrid AF
    > system (25 selectable points), provides a 2-stop advantage over
    > non-Image Stabilized systems for better capturing subjects in low light
    > for both still and video. For instance, if a particular scene called for
    > at least a 1/500 shutter speed to “stop†the action under normal
    > circumstances, the EASYSHARE P850 could deliver the same effect
    > with a much slower 1/125 shutter speed, resulting in a bright yet
    > crisp image. It also minimizes handheld camera shake at longer
    > focal lengths, which is critical when not using a tripod — a scenario
    > found on the sidelines of sporting events, on scenic hiking trails, and
    > during everyday spontaneous picture-taking when carrying a stabilizing
    > device is impractical.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05080202kodak_p880p850.asp

    Yes, the 1/125 shutter speed could be used, but the P850's IS
    would only help reduce camera movement. If a 1/500 second shutter
    speed was needed to "stop" the action, it would still be needed,
    whether IS was or wasn't used. When people talk about "stopping the
    action", they've always been referring to stopping subject motion,
    not movement of the hands that hold the camera. :)

    The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
    hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
    nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
    implied by the press release.

    ASAAR, Aug 5, 2005
  12. ASAAR wrote:
    []
    > The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
    > hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
    > nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
    > implied by the press release.

    However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
    sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
    wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

    I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 × 40 in.
    (75 × 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
    can stop subject motion, who knows?

    Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 5, 2005
  13. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:17:58 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
    >> hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
    >> nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
    >> implied by the press release.

    > However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
    > sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
    > wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

    You won't see *moi* buying any camera without first reading
    reviews, and later checking sample images, if warranted. The P880
    won't be available for at least another month, and I won't be
    surprised if the first reviews show up early next year.

    > I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 × 40 in.
    > (75 × 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
    > can stop subject motion, who knows?
    >
    > Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

    I've no way to know, but assume that if *any* of Kodak's current
    linup offers low compression, the P-series also will. Even though I
    have no way of knowing, it would seem that more care went into the
    design of these cameras, so until I see the reviews I'll play the
    optimist. I'd like to see it compared against the Fuji S9000 and
    whatever Olympus offers as a C-8080 replacement, if they manage to
    get one out before next summer. It would be nice if one of these
    has a usable manual focus.

    ASAAR, Aug 5, 2005
  14. Ronald Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:17:58 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >>> The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
    >>> hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
    >>> nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
    >>> implied by the press release.

    >> However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
    >> sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
    >> wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

    > You won't see *moi* buying any camera without first reading
    > reviews, and later checking sample images, if warranted. The P880
    > won't be available for at least another month, and I won't be
    > surprised if the first reviews show up early next year.
    >

    >> I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 × 40 in.
    >> (75 × 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
    >> can stop subject motion, who knows?
    >>
    >> Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

    > I've no way to know, but assume that if *any* of Kodak's current
    > linup offers low compression, the P-series also will. Even though I
    > have no way of knowing, it would seem that more care went into the
    > design of these cameras, so until I see the reviews I'll play the
    > optimist. I'd like to see it compared against the Fuji S9000 and
    > whatever Olympus offers as a C-8080 replacement, if they manage to
    > get one out before next summer. It would be nice if one of these
    > has a usable manual focus.

    I second your statements about checking reviews, specs., and also insist
    on handling the camera in a store to see if it 'fits'. The opinions
    expressed by the reviews are always biased, but the pictures speak for
    themselves, and the specs can be valuable for comparison (although one
    shouldn't always take them as 'truth').

    As for a 'useable manual focus', don't get your hopes up.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 5, 2005
  15. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:43:12 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I second your statements about checking reviews, specs., and also insist
    > on handling the camera in a store to see if it 'fits'. The opinions
    > expressed by the reviews are always biased, but the pictures speak for
    > themselves, and the specs can be valuable for comparison (although one
    > shouldn't always take them as 'truth').

    The 'in-store handling' really is more important the most people
    realize, and this is where a good camera store has a tremendous
    advantage over the large chains (Circuit City, Comp-USA, etc.),
    since you can take your time trying out cameras that actually have
    charged batteries and memory cards installed. But to be really
    useful, you should already have owned or used a digital camera,
    since that will give you some reference points. A newbie might
    never have heard of shutter lag and not think to check it out, or
    might be told that two cameras have similar features, but miss that
    one is much, much slower to operate since it has few external
    controls and requires much dipping into menus.

    > As for a 'useable manual focus', don't get your hopes up.

    From owning and using a number of film rangefinders and SLRs I at
    least know what the goal is. :) I still don't know if my next
    camera (which I'd like to think is a year or two away) will be a
    nice P&S, or a DSLR that'll give my old Nikon lenses a workout.

    ASAAR, Aug 5, 2005
  16. Ronald Baird

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi Ron,

    I agree that a review and hands on is the way to go. I think you will find
    the camera pretty good. I have tested the manual focus which does work. It
    gives you a screen in the middle of the LCD that shows the result of your
    manual focusing. Screen in screen. It does the job. Files are JPEG/EXIF v
    2.21, RAW, and TIFF. I liked it for the short time I had time to review. The
    resulting files are amazing.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 8, 2005
  17. Ronald Baird

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi ASAAR,

    Sorry to hear about your access trouble.

    I have tested the pages and the go links to be sure they are working and
    found them to be OK. Are you in the US and how do you access the web. I
    would like to be sure that things are OK for you. Let me know if a retry of
    the pages works for you.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Aug 8, 2005
  18. Ronald Baird

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:31:03 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

    > I have tested the pages and the go links to be sure they are working and
    > found them to be OK. Are you in the US and how do you access the web. I
    > would like to be sure that things are OK for you. Let me know if a retry of
    > the pages works for you.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

    I'm in the US and was finally able to access the links yesterday.
    Around the time of the problem, my ISP was having what appeared to
    be minor difficulties with some of its nodes (modem) operating a
    little below half speed. I'm not sure how this could have caused
    difficulties with Kodak's website though, since some of its pages
    loaded with no problem but others couldn't (nor would searches
    work), and I had no difficulties with any non-Kodak websites.

    There was a good bit of information on the P880 Specifications
    Page, but a few questions remained. One person raised a point that
    has concerned a number of people - that Kodak tends to more highly
    compress JPGs than other camera manufacturers. The spec's show:

    > Picture quality
    > 8.0 MP (3264 × 2448 pixels)
    > 7.1 MP (3264 × 2176), 3:2 print mode
    > 5.0 MP (2560 × 1920)
    > 3.1 MP (2048 × 1536)
    > 0.8 MP (1024 × 768)

    but don't show whether any of these (especially the higher quality
    settings) are provided with a choice of 2 or 3 compression ratios,
    as some other cameras do.

    > Time lapse burst mode
    > user-selectable time lapse (10 sec-24 intervals, 2–99 images)

    I think the "2-99 images" is clear, but what does "10 sec-24
    intervals" mean? Maybe the interval can be selected from a choice
    of 24, and the shortest of those is 10 seconds? I hope it doesn't
    mean that the interval range has a limit of from 10 to 24 seconds.

    ASAAR, Aug 8, 2005