Green Screen Photo Method

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I've been working with images shot in front of a green screen and I am
    cutting out the background and copy the image to a template layer then
    printing them out on a 5 x 7 photo paper, I am looking for tips,
    pointers and just plain help :)

    1. Are there template for sale anywhere
    2. What type of printer is best for this type of work
    3. After I remove the background (magic wand) the edge of the photo is
    sharp, how can I soften, want to make it look more natural on the
    template (Mountains)

    Has anyone had any experience doing this onsite at a school, convention
    etc and what are the best step like with adobe, here it the method I am
    currently thinking of using;

    1. Open both image and template
    2. Adjust image resolution and size
    3. Cut background out
    4. Feather
    5. Copy image to template
    6. Flatten image
    7. Save as jpg
    8. Print

    Thank you in advance for any help!
    Bob Smith

    Bob, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Bob

    Marvin Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I've been working with images shot in front of a green screen and I am
    > cutting out the background and copy the image to a template layer then
    > printing them out on a 5 x 7 photo paper, I am looking for tips,
    > pointers and just plain help :)
    >
    > 1. Are there template for sale anywhere
    > 2. What type of printer is best for this type of work
    > 3. After I remove the background (magic wand) the edge of the photo is
    > sharp, how can I soften, want to make it look more natural on the
    > template (Mountains)
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience doing this onsite at a school, convention
    > etc and what are the best step like with adobe, here it the method I am
    > currently thinking of using;
    >
    > 1. Open both image and template
    > 2. Adjust image resolution and size
    > 3. Cut background out
    > 4. Feather
    > 5. Copy image to template
    > 6. Flatten image
    > 7. Save as jpg
    > 8. Print
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help!
    > Bob Smith

    You could look for a fast way to cut the background out. In Paint Shop Pro, the Color
    Replacer tool can substitute a transparent color for the background color.

    Marvin, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks Marvin, I will look at PSP.

    Bob

    Bob, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Bob

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >I've been working with images shot in front of a green screen and I am
    >cutting out the background and copy the image to a template layer then
    >printing them out on a 5 x 7 photo paper, I am looking for tips,
    >pointers and just plain help :)
    >
    >1. Are there template for sale anywhere
    >2. What type of printer is best for this type of work
    >3. After I remove the background (magic wand) the edge of the photo is
    >sharp, how can I soften, want to make it look more natural on the
    >template (Mountains)
    >
    >Has anyone had any experience doing this onsite at a school, convention
    >etc and what are the best step like with adobe, here it the method I am
    >currently thinking of using;
    >
    >1. Open both image and template
    >2. Adjust image resolution and size
    >3. Cut background out
    >4. Feather
    >5. Copy image to template
    >6. Flatten image
    >7. Save as jpg
    >8. Print
    >
    >Thank you in advance for any help!
    >Bob Smith

    Bob,

    Besides the PSP rec that you got (sorry, I do not know that program, or its
    capabilities), I'd just place the image w/ background on its own Layer is
    Photoshop, add a Layer Mask to keep the green background from showing, and
    adjust the edge of that Mask. Everything, from a Gaussian Blur, to handwork
    with a soft-edged Brush will work. By doing the work on a Layer Mask, you can
    always go back in and tweak the Mask, if you are not 100% happy. For ease of
    working, you might crop the image first, but leave the green bkgd around 100%
    of the subject. The Magic Wand is an easily used Selection Tool in this case,
    but I'd set it to non-Anti-alias and no Feather. Then do the Feather in the
    Layer Mask.

    Save_As PSD with all Layers, then Flatten and Save_As whatever for final
    output. If you ever change your mind about the results, just load the PSD, and
    re-work is.

    PSP probably has similar capabilities.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Jan 11, 2006