Green Pea Soup Screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ButchKersh, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish monitor
    screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we were ready to
    replace it, but then the green went away for a few days after I did some
    cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The adjustments on the monitor don't
    do anything. Is it a hardware or software problem? Interestingly, I have
    seen this problem on a few slot machines in casinos just about everywhere-
    I have even played at them. (no luckier than any other machine) I do not
    know if the casinos ever fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from
    playing them, because it is weird to be looking at this green screen, and
    all the colors are weird.

    Thanks for any answers.
     
    ButchKersh, Sep 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    ButchKersh wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish
    > monitor screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we
    > were ready to replace it, but then the green went away for a few days
    > after I did some cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The
    > adjustments on the monitor don't do anything. Is it a hardware or
    > software problem? Interestingly, I have seen this problem on a few
    > slot machines in casinos just about everywhere- I have even played at
    > them. (no luckier than any other machine) I do not know if the
    > casinos ever fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from
    > playing them, because it is weird to be looking at this green screen,
    > and all the colors are weird.
    > Thanks for any answers.


    Usually that's a hardware problem. A bad monitor or monitor cable is most
    common, sometimes it's the graphics adapter in the PC. Do you have a spare
    monitor you can plug in? That would tell you if it's the PC or the monitor.

    My monitor goes blue on me. It's a bad cable. If I wiggle the cable just
    right, and it's fine (until something moves it again.)

    --
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
     
    Toolman Tim, Sep 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The monitor most probably on its way out and has a problem with the red
    gun (circuitry?)
     
    GreenieLeBrun, Sep 26, 2005
    #3
  4. ButchKersh

    philo Guest

    "GreenieLeBrun" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The monitor most probably on its way out and has a problem with the red
    > gun (circuitry?)
    >


    Yep
    that's prolly the case.
    Too bad I have to shut my machine off now due to a lightning storm
    and I won't be able to tell my Pea Soup story!
     
    philo, Sep 26, 2005
    #4
  5. ButchKersh

    ButchKersh Guest

    Thanks for your replies and I want to hear your pea soup story

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "GreenieLeBrun" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> The monitor most probably on its way out and has a problem with the red
    >> gun (circuitry?)
    >>

    >
    > Yep
    > that's prolly the case.
    > Too bad I have to shut my machine off now due to a lightning storm
    > and I won't be able to tell my Pea Soup story!
    >
     
    ButchKersh, Sep 26, 2005
    #5
  6. ButchKersh

    Maybe Guest

    ButchKersh wrote:
    > Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish monitor
    > screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we were ready to
    > replace it, but then the green went away for a few days after I did some
    > cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The adjustments on the monitor don't
    > do anything. Is it a hardware or software problem? Interestingly, I have
    > seen this problem on a few slot machines in casinos just about everywhere-
    > I have even played at them. (no luckier than any other machine) I do not
    > know if the casinos ever fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from
    > playing them, because it is weird to be looking at this green screen, and
    > all the colors are weird.
    >
    > Thanks for any answers.
    >
    >

    You've got good analyses, i.e. your red gun (one of three in your CRT)
    has gone South. New ones are very inexpensive. Have at it.
     
    Maybe, Sep 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Maybe wrote:
    > ButchKersh wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish
    >> monitor screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we were
    >> ready to replace it, but then the green went away for a few days after
    >> I did some cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The adjustments on
    >> the monitor don't do anything. Is it a hardware or software problem?
    >> Interestingly, I have seen this problem on a few slot machines in
    >> casinos just about everywhere- I have even played at them. (no
    >> luckier than any other machine) I do not know if the casinos ever
    >> fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from playing them,
    >> because it is weird to be looking at this green screen, and all the
    >> colors are weird.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any answers.
    >>

    > You've got good analyses, i.e. your red gun (one of three in your CRT)
    > has gone South. New ones are very inexpensive. Have at it.


    Since it comes and goes, it could be a cold solder joint somewhere. One
    of the monitors on my repair bench will occasionally go to some wierd
    colors which can be straightened out with with a sharp whack to the
    right side of the monitor. I'll eventually throw it away, but right now
    it's still hitting about 90% reliability.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 26, 2005
    #7
  8. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Maybe wrote:
    >> ButchKersh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish
    >>> monitor screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we
    >>> were ready to replace it, but then the green went away for a few
    >>> days after I did some cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The
    >>> adjustments on the monitor don't do anything. Is it a hardware or
    >>> software problem? Interestingly, I have seen this problem on a few
    >>> slot machines in casinos just about everywhere- I have even played
    >>> at them. (no luckier than any other machine) I do not know if
    >>> the casinos ever fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from
    >>> playing them, because it is weird to be looking at this green
    >>> screen, and all the colors are weird.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any answers.
    >>>

    >> You've got good analyses, i.e. your red gun (one of three in your
    >> CRT) has gone South. New ones are very inexpensive. Have at it.

    >
    > Since it comes and goes, it could be a cold solder joint somewhere.
    > One of the monitors on my repair bench will occasionally go to some
    > wierd colors which can be straightened out with with a sharp whack to
    > the right side of the monitor. I'll eventually throw it away, but
    > right now it's still hitting about 90% reliability.


    Same with my monitor. When it gets bad enough I'll wire on a new cable.

    --
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
     
    Toolman Tim, Sep 26, 2005
    #8
  9. ButchKersh

    philo Guest

    ButchKersh wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies and I want to hear your pea soup story
    >



    OK...
    the storm is over so i've turned my machine back on...


    Many years ago I drove down the entire US West Coast...
    or at least a great part of it.

    My friend Rick and I rented a car in Eugene, OR...
    then drove all the way along the coast to San Diego...
    then back north again to LA.

    Rick was the manager of a punk rock band
    and had some contacts in LA...
    one of them was a big producer
    who worked with the Doors and Janice Joplin...
    Of course, by the time we got there years later...
    he was just living on residuals...
    so Rick never made it big with his band...

    *However* I got quite a few good stories out of the trip...
    and one of them was : Pea Soup Anderson's.


    Rick and I really laughed as we hit northern California because we saw a
    billboard stating: "Pea Soup Anderson's 500 miles".

    Funny as hell we thought...
    and the signs continued, perhaps every 50 miles or so"

    "Pea Soup Anderson's 450 miles".


    It was a long trip...
    way too much driving really...
    but the signs eventually became a welcome mile-marker...

    Rick and I took turns at the wheel...
    and we both grew tired and hypnotized by the road...

    Eventually the signs became more reasonable in their mileage:

    "Pea Soup Anderson's 50 miles"...

    and just as we approached the place...


    with his eyes glazed over...Rick entered the parking lot.


    Now, as Rick pulled in all I thought was :

    "Why the hell are you pulling in here? Are you crazy?

    Why should we go to some place that advertised that heavily?"

    Oh well, we were already there so what the heck...

    I'm sure I had to use the lavatory anyway...

    So of course...we sat down and each ordered a bowl of pea soup...

    I thought it excellent.


    *However*... as soon as Rick tasted the soup...
    it was like he awoke from his hypnotized spell...
    because he just threw down his spoon and said:

    "Why did i order this or even come here....I *hate* pea soup !!!!"


    So I ended up having two bowls of it...

    and Ricky had not the slightest idea how he got there !
     
    philo, Sep 26, 2005
    #9
  10. ButchKersh

    old jon Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    news:QxHZe.19481$...
    > ButchKersh wrote:
    >> Just out of curiosity. Would anyone know what causes a greenish
    >> monitor screen, and any solutions? Its an older monitor, and we
    >> were ready to replace it, but then the green went away for a few days
    >> after I did some cleaning of the PC. But it came back. The
    >> adjustments on the monitor don't do anything. Is it a hardware or
    >> software problem? Interestingly, I have seen this problem on a few
    >> slot machines in casinos just about everywhere- I have even played at
    >> them. (no luckier than any other machine) I do not know if the
    >> casinos ever fix them or what, but usually it keeps people from
    >> playing them, because it is weird to be looking at this green screen,
    >> and all the colors are weird.
    >> Thanks for any answers.

    >
    > Usually that's a hardware problem. A bad monitor or monitor cable is most
    > common, sometimes it's the graphics adapter in the PC. Do you have a spare
    > monitor you can plug in? That would tell you if it's the PC or the
    > monitor.
    >
    > My monitor goes blue on me. It's a bad cable. If I wiggle the cable just
    > right, and it's fine (until something moves it again.)
    >

    Hi Tim. Your gonna have to fix that cable. <g>. OJ
    > --
    > Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
    >
     
    old jon, Sep 26, 2005
    #10
  11. ButchKersh

    Toolman Tim Guest

    philo wrote:
    > ButchKersh wrote:
    >> Thanks for your replies and I want to hear your pea soup story
    >>

    >
    >
    > OK...
    > the storm is over so i've turned my machine back on...
    >
    >
    > Many years ago I drove down the entire US West Coast...
    > or at least a great part of it.
    >
    > My friend Rick and I rented a car in Eugene, OR...
    > then drove all the way along the coast to San Diego...
    > then back north again to LA.
    >
    > Rick was the manager of a punk rock band
    > and had some contacts in LA...
    > one of them was a big producer
    > who worked with the Doors and Janice Joplin...
    > Of course, by the time we got there years later...
    > he was just living on residuals...
    > so Rick never made it big with his band...
    >
    > *However* I got quite a few good stories out of the trip...
    > and one of them was : Pea Soup Anderson's.
    >
    >
    > Rick and I really laughed as we hit northern California because we
    > saw a billboard stating: "Pea Soup Anderson's 500 miles".
    >
    > Funny as hell we thought...
    > and the signs continued, perhaps every 50 miles or so"
    >
    > "Pea Soup Anderson's 450 miles".
    >
    >
    > It was a long trip...
    > way too much driving really...
    > but the signs eventually became a welcome mile-marker...
    >
    > Rick and I took turns at the wheel...
    > and we both grew tired and hypnotized by the road...
    >
    > Eventually the signs became more reasonable in their mileage:
    >
    > "Pea Soup Anderson's 50 miles"...
    >
    > and just as we approached the place...
    >
    >
    > with his eyes glazed over...Rick entered the parking lot.
    >
    >
    > Now, as Rick pulled in all I thought was :
    >
    > "Why the hell are you pulling in here? Are you crazy?
    >
    > Why should we go to some place that advertised that heavily?"
    >
    > Oh well, we were already there so what the heck...
    >
    > I'm sure I had to use the lavatory anyway...
    >
    > So of course...we sat down and each ordered a bowl of pea soup...
    >
    > I thought it excellent.
    >
    >
    > *However*... as soon as Rick tasted the soup...
    > it was like he awoke from his hypnotized spell...
    > because he just threw down his spoon and said:
    >
    > "Why did i order this or even come here....I *hate* pea soup !!!!"
    >
    >
    > So I ended up having two bowls of it...
    >
    > and Ricky had not the slightest idea how he got there !


    Having just put well over 1600 miles on my new car last week on a driving
    vacation to the Oregon coast, I understand that "Where the h*** am I, and
    how did I get here?" myself.

    And I got some peas soup there myself - quite excellent as well - in Lincoln
    City at a little restaurant called Maxwells. I followed the soup with (what
    else...) fish and chips <g>

    --
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
     
    Toolman Tim, Sep 27, 2005
    #11
  12. ButchKersh

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    >>
    >>and Ricky had not the slightest idea how he got there !

    >
    >
    > Having just put well over 1600 miles on my new car last week on a driving
    > vacation to the Oregon coast, I understand that "Where the h*** am I, and
    > how did I get here?" myself.
    >
    > And I got some peas soup there myself - quite excellent as well - in Lincoln
    > City at a little restaurant called Maxwells. I followed the soup with (what
    > else...) fish and chips <g>
    >


    well the drive from Eugene down the coast was all I could handle,
    even though I had purchsed a round trip ticket from my home out to
    Eugene, OR

    I ended up just flying home from LA directly and just wasting the return
    ticket from Eugene.
    I;ve got a tough time driving any more than maybe 5 hours or so!
     
    philo, Sep 27, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Battery Operated Boyfriend

    OT: No soup for you.

    Battery Operated Boyfriend, Mar 8, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    94
    Views:
    2,274
    Bigus Di©kus
    Mar 13, 2006
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,198
    Paul - xxx
    Aug 2, 2003
  3. Winston Corcoran

    Duck Soup Not in Marx Bros Set

    Winston Corcoran, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    560
    One-Shot Scot
    Apr 23, 2004
  4. boki
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    940
    Supervisor
    Mar 25, 2005
  5. dfinc
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,008
    dfinc
    Sep 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page