Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bipin Sen, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Bipin Sen

    Bipin Sen Guest

    I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
    that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
    be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
    DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas. I have read
    a number of posts that are talking about this *exact* problem. The
    problem seems to span TV models, DVD players, and cable manufacturers.

    Is there anyone out there who has succesfully eliminated this problem?
    I wonder if S-Video is the way to go. The Mitsubishi TV has the
    ability to adjust for the color balance for the component video input
    (six available color scales). Dialing down green makes the haze
    slightly more "hazy" but never eliminates it.

    Any thoughts? Comments? Stuff like "Mitsubishi TV is crap, or Sony
    DVD players are crap, or Radio Shack cables are crap" while useful
    aren't very helpful!! Thanks for your help!

    Regards,

    Bipin Sen
     
    Bipin Sen, Jan 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bipin Sen

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Bipin Sen wrote:
    >I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
    >that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
    >be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
    >DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas.


    Low-tech question, but it needs to be asked:

    Are you certain all the cables are in their proper slots, and pushed
    in all the way?

    It seems likely that the cables are in the correct connectors, or
    you'd have much bigger problems. But why not try removing each
    cable, wiping off any (in)visible dust or grit with a cloth, and re-
    inserting it firmly.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm
     
    Stan Brown, Jan 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hmm, maybe your tv pushes green, like mine does. Never noticed a haze
    though. You may want to consider having a professional calibrate your
    tv, he'd be able to go in the service menu and fiddle with each color
    channel.

    --
    "Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
    Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost
     
    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Bipin Sen

    Codswallop Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:01:59 GMT, Bipin Sen wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
    > DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas.


    Make sure the "red" cable is properly connected (if you're using the
    red/green/blue colour-coded component cables).

    --
    - Cods


    (un ROT-13 to email)
     
    Codswallop, Jan 5, 2004
    #4
  5. Bipin Sen

    Bipin Sen Guest

    Heya Stan,

    Thanks for the tip. Tonight I bought a Mitsubishi progressive scan
    DVD player with component output to see if there was a DVD player
    issue. Actually there is. The progressive scan through Mitsubishi
    DVD player is like crap. Holy smokes. Could I make out the
    difference. I could actually see the lines being scanned as CGI
    effects of LOTR 2 was playing. The resolution was so poor that I
    forgot all about my haze problem.

    I played around with the customizable settings in my Sony DVD player.
    If I dial down the hue and color scales, I can get to very
    imperceptible levels of green tint. It's still there, but it needs to
    be pointed out to see.

    Walking around in Best Buy, I saw a Samsung DVD player that claimed to
    upconvert DVDs to 720 or 1080 resolution. Does anyone have any
    experience with these? How good of a job do upconverters do, and is
    it really *that* visible?

    Still haven't heard anything on here from the dozen or so previous
    posters who had green haze problems. Are you guys just living with it
    now?
     
    Bipin Sen, Jan 6, 2004
    #5
  6. Bipin Sen

    Codswallop Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:09:07 GMT, Bipin Sen wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Still haven't heard anything on here from the dozen or so previous
    > posters who had green haze problems. Are you guys just living with it
    > now?


    Try searching at groups.google.com

    --
    - Cods


    (un ROT-13 to email)
     
    Codswallop, Jan 6, 2004
    #6
  7. Bipin Sen

    manitou910 Guest

    Bipin Sen wrote:
    >
    > Walking around in Best Buy, I saw a Samsung DVD player that claimed to
    > upconvert DVDs to 720 or 1080 resolution. Does anyone have any
    > experience with these? How good of a job do upconverters do, and is
    > it really *that* visible?


    Mixed reviews for the Samsung.

    However, the next major step in DVD players is inversion to 720p or 1080i.

    Players with the Sage/Faroudja FLI2310 chip should be best, but there
    are other links in the chain.

    Denon and Pioneer have introduced such machines. Quite expensive, but
    major reviews not out yet.

    The Momitsu (available from http://www.hivizone.com in Hong Kong) is
    said to be excellent, if you don't mind importing. A friend got one
    last spring and isn't complaining (he uses it with an Ampro CRT projector).







    C.
     
    manitou910, Jan 6, 2004
    #7
  8. Bipin Sen

    Badger Guest

    This TV doesn't have RGB and component inputs does it? If so you need to
    check the connections to make sure you're using component. Most commercial
    sets and a few consumer have these and must connected correctly or you'll
    get GREEN.
    Clay
    "Bipin Sen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
    > that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
    > be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
    > DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas. I have read
    > a number of posts that are talking about this *exact* problem. The
    > problem seems to span TV models, DVD players, and cable manufacturers.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who has succesfully eliminated this problem?
    > I wonder if S-Video is the way to go. The Mitsubishi TV has the
    > ability to adjust for the color balance for the component video input
    > (six available color scales). Dialing down green makes the haze
    > slightly more "hazy" but never eliminates it.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Comments? Stuff like "Mitsubishi TV is crap, or Sony
    > DVD players are crap, or Radio Shack cables are crap" while useful
    > aren't very helpful!! Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bipin Sen
     
    Badger, Jan 7, 2004
    #8
  9. Hi,

    I was going to mention the same thing, actually. The greenish tint is
    often the result of feeding a component signal when your television is
    expecting an RGB one. Some people describe this as a black-and-white
    look as well.

    The fix is pretty easy - just set your TV's input to component, and the
    greenish tint should go away. You can often find a button on your
    remote control for doing this, or on the set itself. Naturally, you can
    always check the manual, but usually it's relatively easy to find.

    Has any of the advice that you've read so far helped?

    -N

    Do You Need Cables?
    http://www.ineedcables.com



    Badger wrote:
    > This TV doesn't have RGB and component inputs does it? If so you need to
    > check the connections to make sure you're using component. Most commercial
    > sets and a few consumer have these and must connected correctly or you'll
    > get GREEN.
    > Clay
    > "Bipin Sen" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
    >>that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
    >>be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
    >>DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas. I have read
    >>a number of posts that are talking about this *exact* problem. The
    >>problem seems to span TV models, DVD players, and cable manufacturers.
    >>
    >>Is there anyone out there who has succesfully eliminated this problem?
    >> I wonder if S-Video is the way to go. The Mitsubishi TV has the
    >>ability to adjust for the color balance for the component video input
    >>(six available color scales). Dialing down green makes the haze
    >>slightly more "hazy" but never eliminates it.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts? Comments? Stuff like "Mitsubishi TV is crap, or Sony
    >>DVD players are crap, or Radio Shack cables are crap" while useful
    >>aren't very helpful!! Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Bipin Sen

    >
    >
    >
     
    ineedcables.com, Jan 8, 2004
    #9
  10. Bipin Sen

    Bipin Sen Guest

    I have read and tried to digest all the pieces of advice that I've
    gotten. I will double check the component vs RGB input as soon as I
    finish typing this. I can't imagine I could have missed something as
    obvious, but hey... I have done stranger things in the past. Just for
    kicks I have a service guy scheduled to come in next week (part of the
    extended service plan). I'll let you know what comes of that.

    OK. I just checked the inputs. The inputs are labeled Y, Pb and Pr so
    I'm assuming they are the component inputs (there is also a label on
    top of them called COMPONENT).

    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I just hope this isn't a bad unit.
    I will be pretty bummed out.
     
    Bipin Sen, Jan 9, 2004
    #10
  11. Bipin Sen

    Codswallop Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:23:43 GMT, Bipin Sen wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > OK. I just checked the inputs. The inputs are labeled Y, Pb and Pr so
    > I'm assuming they are the component inputs (there is also a label on
    > top of them called COMPONENT).


    They are the component cables, yes. In my experience (different DVD
    player / TV) the Pr (red) cable came loose and partially disconnected.

    Removing the red from the image turned it green. Make sure the cables
    are in the right spot and securely connected.

    --
    - Cods


    (un ROT-13 to email)
     
    Codswallop, Jan 9, 2004
    #11
  12. Bipin Sen

    Isaac Kuo Guest

    (Bipin Sen) wrote in message news:<>...
    >I have read and tried to digest all the pieces of advice that I've
    >gotten. I will double check the component vs RGB input as soon as I
    >finish typing this. I can't imagine I could have missed something as
    >obvious, but hey... I have done stranger things in the past.


    I seriously doubt this is your problem. If it were, then
    EVERYTHING would look green--the whole screen, not just
    a subtle haze in some places.

    Isaac Kuo
     
    Isaac Kuo, Jan 9, 2004
    #12
  13. Bipin Sen

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Jan 9, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rutgar

    FPTV and RPTV Set-Up

    Rutgar, Feb 23, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    442
    Rutgar
    Feb 23, 2004
  2. boki
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    941
    Supervisor
    Mar 25, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    504
  4. peter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    354
    peter
    Oct 30, 2004
  5. Tom Tricep

    Component TV Hookup: Red,Blue,Green question

    Tom Tricep, Sep 9, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,993
    pcbutts1
    Sep 10, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page