Green edges on potato chips (AKA crisps)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, May 1, 2010.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    I have wondered about this for decades...

    One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used to be
    Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is going to hell)
    have green edges. When I see them, I snap them off, but I'm sure
    I have eaten them in the dark.

    Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only thing
    that occurs to me is that it could be caused by old/contaminated
    oil, but why only a few then? And why ONLY on the edges?

    Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    --
    The arrows are faster than rodents!
    - t.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns9D6B8FFCF920Bthanexit@188.40.43.230 thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only thing
    > that occurs to me is that it could be caused by old/contaminated
    > oil, but why only a few then? And why ONLY on the edges?

    10. What are the green edges I sometime find on my chips?

    The “green spots” on the potato chips are the result of a sun struck
    potato. This occurs when the potato is not completely covered with soil
    during the growing season. All potatoes pass through an inspection line
    prior to processing and we do our best to eliminate this.

    http://olddutchfoods.ca/eng/faqs.html#q10

    [Old Dutch is a regional maker of potato chips which I used to prefer
    until they started making chips with the density of poker chips]

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, May 1, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 5/1/2010 2:09 PM, thanatoid wrote:
    > I have wondered about this for decades...
    >
    > One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used to be
    > Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is going to hell)
    > have green edges. When I see them, I snap them off, but I'm sure
    > I have eaten them in the dark.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only thing
    > that occurs to me is that it could be caused by old/contaminated
    > oil, but why only a few then? And why ONLY on the edges?
    >
    > Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    could be caused by the potato being slightly frozen ? I've eaten a
    bunch of them and still kicking. <g>

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, May 1, 2010
  4. thanatoid

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 5/1/2010 2:16 PM, Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:Xns9D6B8FFCF920Bthanexit@188.40.43.230 thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only thing
    >> that occurs to me is that it could be caused by old/contaminated
    >> oil, but why only a few then? And why ONLY on the edges?

    > 10. What are the green edges I sometime find on my chips?
    >
    > The “green spots” on the potato chips are the result of a sun struck
    > potato. This occurs when the potato is not completely covered with soil
    > during the growing season. All potatoes pass through an inspection line
    > prior to processing and we do our best to eliminate this.
    >
    > http://olddutchfoods.ca/eng/faqs.html#q10
    >
    > [Old Dutch is a regional maker of potato chips which I used to prefer
    > until they started making chips with the density of poker chips]

    Cool, Thanks

    OldGringo38, May 1, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns9D6B8FFCF920Bthanexit@188.40.43.230 thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only
    >> thing that occurs to me is that it could be caused by
    >> old/contaminated oil, but why only a few then? And why
    >> ONLY on the edges?

    > 10. What are the green edges I sometime find on my chips?
    >
    > The “green spots” on the potato chips are the result of a
    > sun struck potato. This occurs when the potato is not
    > completely covered with soil during the growing season. All
    > potatoes pass through an inspection line prior to
    > processing and we do our best to eliminate this.
    >
    > http://olddutchfoods.ca/eng/faqs.html#q10
    >
    > [Old Dutch is a regional maker of potato chips which I used
    > to prefer until they started making chips with the density
    > of poker chips]

    Yes, I remember them. Making Ruffles thick was as stupid as New
    Coke, except it does not seem to have hurt sales. I suppose
    there's less grease - but that's just a a guess.

    Anyway, HOW you knew this and how you replied within 10 minutes
    of my post is astounding.
    Thank you VERY much. Now that I know this and why Walkman
    batteries only lasted a few hours instead of weeks or months
    (voltage step-up circuits necessary for certain components), I
    can rest in peace.

    Thanks again and best regards.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=green spots on potato chips

    Meat Plow, May 1, 2010
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=green spots on potato chips

    Yes, that occurred to me after I read his reply... He MAY have
    known it anyway... and I just did NOT think I would find it with
    Google... There ARE things that no one knows...

    thanatoid, May 1, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §nühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>
    >> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used
    >> to be Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is
    >> going to hell) have green edges. When I see them, I snap
    >> them off, but I'm sure I have eaten them in the dark.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only
    >> thing that occurs to me is that it could be caused by
    >> old/contaminated oil, but why only a few then? And why
    >> ONLY on the edges?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    >>

    > Huh...I thought everyone knew this:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato#Toxicity
    >
    > Now you know why those parts on a whole cooked
    > potatoeoeoeoeoe are very BITTER.
    >
    > FYI
    > HTH
    > HAND

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2010
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Jane Galt <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote :
    >
    >> I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>
    >> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used
    >> to be Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is
    >> going to hell) have green edges. When I see them, I snap
    >> them off, but I'm sure I have eaten them in the dark.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only
    >> thing that occurs to me is that it could be caused by
    >> old/contaminated oil, but why only a few then? And why
    >> ONLY on the edges?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    > http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

    Thanks, I DID know enough not to eat green potatoes when green
    when FRESH, when I was asking when the green in the chips comes
    when.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2010
  10. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2010 20:36:15 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:

    > Jane Galt <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote :
    >>
    >>> I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>>
    >>> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used
    >>> to be Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is
    >>> going to hell) have green edges. When I see them, I snap
    >>> them off, but I'm sure I have eaten them in the dark.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only
    >>> thing that occurs to me is that it could be caused by
    >>> old/contaminated oil, but why only a few then? And why
    >>> ONLY on the edges?
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    >> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

    > Thanks, I DID know enough not to eat green potatoes when green
    > when FRESH, when I was asking when the green in the chips comes
    > when.

    I would believe the manufacturer's story over snopes any day. As the
    manufacturer has the true knowledge. A "green" plant is nothing compared to
    the "green" product after being processed.

    richard, May 1, 2010
  11. thanatoid

    Maxwell Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    >Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >

    >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=green spots on potato chips

    >Yes, that occurred to me after I read his reply... He MAY have
    >known it anyway... and I just did NOT think I would find it with
    >Google... There ARE things that no one knows...

    That'll be the unknown unknowns... as well as the known unknowns, I
    suppose (gosh, we have a lot to thank Don Rumsfeld for).

    --
    Max

    Maxwell, May 1, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 1 May 2010 13:56:58 -0700, richard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I would believe the manufacturer's story over snopes any
    >>day. As the manufacturer has the true knowledge. A "green"
    >>plant is nothing compared to the "green" product after
    >>being processed.

    > Yes. Because the manufacturer has reason to be honest. Just
    > like politicians.

    I was just DYING to see what your comment would be... You did
    NOT disappoint...

    --
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is
    time to pause and reflect."

    thanatoid, May 2, 2010
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >>I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>
    >> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used
    >> to be Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is
    >> going to hell) have green edges. When I see them, I snap
    >> them off, but I'm sure I have eaten them in the dark.

    > http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/396/are-green-potat
    > o-chips-poisonous

    Well, THAT was definitely the most complete and least-biased
    link. Thanks.
    Nice cartoon, too.

    > so you should probably eat them in the dark

    Dark cloudy bars
    Shiny Cadillac cars
    And the people on subways and trains
    Looking gray in the rain as they stand disarrayed
    All the people look well in the dark
    And if you close the door, the night could last forever.
    - The Velvet Underground

    thanatoid, May 2, 2010
  14. thanatoid

    philo Guest

    On 05/01/2010 07:55 PM, thanatoid wrote:
    > "philo"<> wrote in
    >

    >> "thanatoid"<> wrote in message
    >>> I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>>
    >>> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used
    >>> to be Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is
    >>> going to hell) have green edges. When I see them, I snap
    >>> them off, but I'm sure I have eaten them in the dark.

    >> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/396/are-green-potat
    >> o-chips-poisonous

    > Well, THAT was definitely the most complete and least-biased
    > link. Thanks.
    > Nice cartoon, too.
    >
    >> so you should probably eat them in the dark

    When I was in college I survived almost entirely on potato chips and beer.

    Had to cut out the beer entirely...
    and potato chips now are only eaten occasionally as a special treat.

    (and dip of course)

    > Dark cloudy bars
    > Shiny Cadillac cars
    > And the people on subways and trains
    > Looking gray in the rain as they stand disarrayed
    > All the people look well in the dark
    > And if you close the door, the night could last forever.
    > - The Velvet Underground

    Great words there!

    philo, May 2, 2010
  15. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:00:27 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > thanatoid <> wrote :
    >
    >> I have wondered about this for decades...
    >>
    >> One or two potato chips in every bag of every make (used to be
    >> Ruffles were the exception, but /everything/ is going to hell)
    >> have green edges. When I see them, I snap them off, but I'm sure
    >> I have eaten them in the dark.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? The only thing
    >> that occurs to me is that it could be caused by old/contaminated
    >> oil, but why only a few then? And why ONLY on the edges?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    > http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/396/are-green-potato-chips-poisonous

    As this knowledgeable person says, the green chips come mostly from
    potatoes that were stored way too long.

    Having driven trucks hauling potatoes from farm to plant, I can assure you
    I know how the process works.
    Many plant farms begin planting seed potatoes in April and May. The
    gestation period is 14 weeks. With the numerous farms that produce
    potatoes, and in order to keep the plant busy year round, they store the
    potatoes in specially heated "barns".
    With the numbers stored, they can produce all year round.

    When potatoes are stored much longer than they should be, they tend to
    "carmalize". Producing a "green" skin of sorts. When you get a few that
    have the green edge effect, have no fear. It ain't gonna kill you.
    The cooking and the oils take care of anything that might have been
    harmful.

    Now I'm sure that our resident expert on every subject in the world is
    going to come along and say precisely how wrong I am. Tell me Evan, you
    ever been to a real farm? I don't mean Knott's either. My mother, and her
    family lived on a producing farm so I am quite familiar with how they
    operate.

    richard, May 2, 2010
  16. thanatoid

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:34:33 -0700, richard wrote:

    > "carmalize"

    WTF?????

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, May 2, 2010
  17. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > When I was in college I survived almost entirely on potato
    > chips and beer.
    >
    > Had to cut out the beer entirely...
    > and potato chips now are only eaten occasionally as a
    > special treat.
    >
    > (and dip of course)

    Dips are great, but that's where most calories and fat are...
    SIGH...

    > Great words there!

    I agree, it's from "After Hours", my favorite song on the 3rd
    album.

    thanatoid, May 3, 2010