    are slightly off-color from the surrounding pixels.

    Is this repairable or should I kiss it off and get a new camera? If I get a
    new camera, where do I find comparisons of what's available in 2005?
    NadCixelsyd, Jan 1, 2005

  2. all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
    of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
    pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

    -Michael
    Michael Schnell, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Michael Schnell wrote:
    > all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
    > of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
    > pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

    Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this software:

    http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

    and perhaps:

    http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

    (version V2.4 worked on my 990, USB connection)

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Michael Schnell, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Michael Schnell wrote:
    >> Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this software:
    >>
    >> http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm
    >>
    >> and perhaps:
    >>
    >> http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm
    >>

    > Great !
    >
    > Is something like this available for other cameras, too ? (I could use
    > it for D70 and D100)
    >
    > -Michael

    Those programs work with a variety of cameras - check their Web pages. In
    the case of the Nikon Coolpix range, the "determine bad pixels and remap
    them" is a function built into the firmware but not made accessible to the
    user menus. The programs simply call up this function. If the Nikon DSLR
    designers have shared code with the Coolpix folk, perhaps the same is true
    there? You could ask the program authors.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 2, 2005