Greece in new crackdown on smokers and tobacco ads

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Zulus Vulva, Sep 1, 2010.

  1. Zulus Vulva

    Zulus Vulva Guest

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11148448

    Greece in new crackdown on smokers and tobacco ads

    Previous attempts to impose partial bans were largely ignored in
    Greece
    A new law has come into force in Greece banning smoking in enclosed
    public spaces and tobacco advertising.

    It is the second such attempt to curb tobacco addiction in Europe's
    biggest-smoking nation in just over a year.

    Smokers who break the law could be fined hundreds of euros and
    businesses may have to pay several thousand.

    But restaurant and cafe owners say they are being targeted at a time
    of economic crisis.

    It is estimated that more than 40% of Greek adults smoke - well above
    the EU's average of 29%.

    'Changing attitudes'
    The Greek government says the smoking ban is aimed at protecting
    public health.

    It adds that - like a recently adopted austerity plan to repair a near-
    bankrupt economy - the smoking ban will help Greeks to consider the
    consequences of their actions.

    "It will contribute to the work we're doing that's aimed at changing
    attitudes, norms and behaviour to improve our quality of life," Prime
    Minister George Papandreou said on Tuesday.

    From Wednesday, those caught violating the new law face fines of up to
    500 euros (£413; $636). Businesses may have to pay up to 10,000 euros.

    The government says the measure is needed after previous efforts to
    impose a partial smoking ban have been largely ignored.

    But bar and cafe owners say they are being unfairly targeted.

    "What I believe is that it [the ban] will harm places that are
    strongly connected with drinking and entertainment in general,"
    Christos Giannakouris, a bar owner in Athens, told the Associated
    Press.

    Waitress Artemis Livardou said there were other ways of protecting non-
    smokers without resorting to an outright ban.

    "Although I would support a law that would prohibit smoking in some
    places, I think owners of these places should be given the choice to
    create zones for smokers and non-smokers. Thus, we smokers could find
    and choose the place which we would like to go to."
    Zulus Vulva, Sep 1, 2010

  2. In article
    <>,
    Zulus Vulva <> wrote:

    <snip>

    Please don't post spam to rec.photo.digital
    Attila Jozsef, Sep 2, 2010

  3. Zulus Vulva

    Twibil Guest

    Re: Smokers are losers - was - Re: Greece in new crackdown on smokersand tobacco ads

    On Sep 1, 11:16 pm, Val Hallah <> wrote:

    > > Please don't post spam to rec.photo.digital

    > is this better ?

    Depends: Is Ebola better than Peritonitis?
    Twibil, Sep 2, 2010
  4. Zulus Vulva

    Runge 124 Guest

    michaelnewport aka virusman enjoys polluting

    discussion :

    Runge 124, Sep 3, 2010