    between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
    which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
    appreciated. :)
    Muze Gruppes, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Muze Gruppes

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:32:19 -0500, Muze Gruppes wrote:

    >I've reinstalled windows (sigh) and am keeping the number of
    >programs/apps as minimal as possible. And in the spirit of this I'm torn
    >between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
    >which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
    >appreciated. :)

    Do you mean running Word / Excel and Writer / Draw / Base open 1 at a
    time or several? The more open apps at once the more RAM does help.

    You didn't say how much RAM you have.

    Depends on document size, what you do with linking , embedding files and
    so on.

    OOo, system requirements
    http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_20.html

    Office 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129
    128MB + 8 for each open Office app.

    Open blank -
    Word 2003 , 39MB
    Writer soffice.bin and soffoce.exe 43MB

    then

    Visio 2003 + 16MB
    Draw , soffice.bin and soffice.exe 54MB

    Word / Visio 39 + 16 = 55MB
    OOo = 54MB

    Me
    why?, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Muze Gruppes wrote:

    > I've reinstalled windows (sigh) and am keeping the number of
    > programs/apps as minimal as possible. And in the spirit of this I'm torn
    > between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
    > which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
    > appreciated. :)

    Probably MSOffice has less footprint, because ... just like IE, some of it's
    common components are used by other parts of the OS as well, and will be
    preloaded.
    However, MSoffice as well as OOffice both have a preloader, which, with
    enough RAM provided, will let them start rather quick, at least the 2nd
    time.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 25, 2007