Great.... one more format... Fluorescent Multi-layer Disc (FMD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1177878.cms

    While Blu-ray and HD-DVD fight ferociously for the DVD crown, there
    might be a surprise winner. The third option comes in the form of
    Fluorescent Multi-layer Disc (FMD), which can hold up to 140 GB of
    data. This is currently 215 times greater than a CD-ROM (0.65 GB) and
    23 times greater than a DVD-ROM (6GB). The next generation of DVD-ROM
    are believed to hold around 20GB of data.

    Introduced by Constellation 3D Inc, FMD contains fluorescent materials
    embedded in the pits and grooves of all 10+ layers. When in contact
    with a laser, the fluorescent materials are stimulated to produce
    coherent and incoherent light; data is stored in the incoherent light.
    Because the technology isn’t based on reflection, multiple layers can
    be read at the same time.

    Whereas current DVD reflective technology can write data only on two
    layers on a CD, FMD allows data to be stored in multiple layers on a
    CD (up to 20 right now and maybe potentially up to 100 within a few
    years), while utilizing a red laser which maintains backwards
    compatibility with CD, CD-R and DVD formats.

    Instead of using a reflective CD surface, FMD media appears
    transparent to the human eye. This is mainly because each layer is
    coated with a fluorescent dye instead of a reflective coating. When
    the drive’s red laser hits the layer, fluorescent light is emitted at
    a different wavelength than the source light and that light is read by
    a sensor that filters out stray light and interference, thereby
    allowing only light containing data information to be detected.
    Traditional CD media reads all of the light that is reflected back. As
    a traditional CD drive's laser passes through the first couple of
    layers, it generates a huge amount of noise which causes too much
    signal loss to work properly.

    While the cost of single FMD will be much higher than that of other
    storage media, its cost per gigabyte will be considerably lower.

    The technology is likely to revolutionize data storage. FMD can also
    allow gigabytes of storage on a disc the size and shape of a credit
    card. It has the potential to be used in mobile phones, handheld
    computers, video recorders, PCs, digital cameras and high-definition
    TVs.

    Philips and IBM have attempted, in the past, to create a multi-layer
    reflective disc and in fact, successfully demonstrated the concept to
    a few layers. However, IBM decided that there were too many
    difficulties in producing a six layer disc and scrapped the project.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I had read about this technology several years ago. It *does* seem like a
    logical possibility for very large storage using current form factors. It
    is also likely to be *very very* expensive per unit. I will bet on the
    reflective formats...these can leverage existing technologies and will be
    cost effective.
    Alpha, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    This was a new one for me. Just way too many formats! :eek:)

    Everyone wants a peice of the storage future.

    Allan, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Allan

    3W Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message

    > Introduced by Constellation 3D Inc, FMD contains fluorescent materials
    > embedded in the pits and grooves of all 10+ layers. When in contact
    > with a laser, the fluorescent materials are stimulated to produce
    > coherent and incoherent light; data is stored in the incoherent light.
    > Because the technology isn't based on reflection, multiple layers can
    > be read at the same time.

    Old, old, old news. Care to buy stock in the company?

    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CDDDQ.PK&d=t

    I lost a shitload of money on them. They just closed the offices a couple of
    years ago, and no one have heard from them since.
    3W, Jul 23, 2005