    known good configuration... which I opt for and it starts up fine. This has
    happened about 3 times in the past week, or about 3 out of the last 10 times
    I have booted up. Any ideas?

    ChristyLynn, Dec 20, 2006

  2. ChristyLynn

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "ChristyLynn" <> wrote in message
    news:v70ih.7986$...
    > Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
    > whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
    > Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and restart then
    > the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally or to do the last
    > known good configuration... which I opt for and it starts up fine. This
    > has happened about 3 times in the past week, or about 3 out of the last 10
    > times I have booted up. Any ideas?

    Why don't you take the Start-up Normally path and see what happens? It may
    correct itself. I have never had a reason to restore to the Last Know
    Configuration, even when I have crashed the machine by powering off instead
    of doing a controlled log off and shutdown.

    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2006

  3. ChristyLynn

    ChristyLynn Guest

    start up normally does nothing, only last known config or safe mode lets me
    in

    ChristyLynn, Dec 20, 2006
  4. ChristyLynn

    Neil Green Guest

    "ChristyLynn" <> wrote in
    message news:v70ih.7986$...
    > Now out of the blue, not having done any windows
    > updates or downloads whatsoever I have a new
    > problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
    > Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut
    > down and restart then the screen comes up asking if
    > I want to start normally or to do the last known
    > good configuration... which I opt for and it starts
    > up fine. This has happened about 3 times in the
    > past week, or about 3 out of the last 10 times I
    > have booted up. Any ideas?

    Try a system restore to a point before this happened.
    Sounds like a software corruption, which are fairly
    common.

    Neil Green, Dec 20, 2006
  5. ChristyLynn

    Chet39 Guest

    I had a similar situation a few months ago. Turns out my A/V had gotten
    corrupted by something dumb I had done. I was able to start in safe mode so
    I uninstalled the A/V and was able to boot normally. I then installed A/V
    from scratch and everything is OK.

    I'm not saying it's your A/V but some program that starts at bootup has
    gotten corrupted. It might take some fiddling to figure out which one.

    Chet39, Dec 20, 2006
  6. ChristyLynn

    BillW50 Guest

    "Chet39" <> wrote in message
    > I had a similar situation a few months ago. Turns out my A/V had
    > gotten corrupted by something dumb I had done. I was able to start
    > in safe mode so I uninstalled the A/V and was able to boot normally. I
    > then installed A/V from scratch and everything is OK.
    >
    > I'm not saying it's your A/V but some program that starts at bootup
    > has gotten corrupted. It might take some fiddling to figure out
    > which one.
    > "ChristyLynn" <> wrote in message
    >> Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
    >> whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at
    >> the Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and
    >> restart then the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally
    >> or to do the last known good configuration... which I opt for and it
    >> starts up fine. This has happened about 3 times in the past week,
    >> or about 3 out of the last 10 times I have booted up. Any ideas?

    Get Windows running, go to the Command Prompt and type:

    CHKDSK /F

    It will say it can't right now, but can once it reboots and hit the Y
    key. Then reboot (whatever works) and just maybe, the problem is gone.
    Can be done under safe mode too. <grin>

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Dec 21, 2006