Grays on line

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, May 30, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    This website has been mentioned a couple of times reciently and I have been
    following some of the actions lately. It seems to me that a lot of these
    laptops/notebooks are going for quite high amounts e.g. "TOSHIBA SATELLITE
    PRO 4600 PENTIUM III PROCESSOR, 750 MHZ, 256MB RAM, 14 GB HDD, DVD ROM,
    WIN2K COA STICKER ONLY" is currently $509 (+13.5% + freight) = $577 +
    freight. This seems a lot to pay for a notebook that could be 4 (?) years
    old.

    Is this just another case of people getting carried away at auctions ? or
    is this stuff actually worth this much ?

    Just noticed this one "DELL LATITUDE C600 PENTIUM III PROCESSOR, 700 MHZ,
    256MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, DVD ROM, WIN2K CD, WIN2K COA STICKER ONLY" currently
    $589 + 13.5% = $668

    Have also noticed that 1 person goes through at the second or third bid and
    places a much higer bid then everyone else goes back to the minimum bid.
    Also nobody seems to bid more than once (ok, some people might make a bid
    and say to themselves thats the max price i'll pay and not bid anymore).
    It kind of looks like a form of Russian roulette - who gets stuck with the
    laptop, loses...

    --
    Chris

    "Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."
     
    Chris, May 30, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chris

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    news:40b9b86e$...

    > Have also noticed that 1 person goes through at the second or third bid

    and
    > places a much higer bid then everyone else goes back to the minimum bid.


    That's most likely the autobid function kicking in.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Never trust a woman or a government"
    ~Yellowbeard
     
    Mr Scebe, May 30, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <40b9b86e$>, Chris <> wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >Also nobody seems to bid more than once (ok, some people might make a bid

    *SNIP*

    It only records you once. Bid again, and that becomes your recorded
    bid.
    It's not like TradeMe, which keeps a fully bidding history, even with
    multiple bids from the same person.

    And you're right that the prices are getting looney. Too many people
    know about the site now, and only the very high-end stuff sells for
    prices that're realistic (near-new Dell laptops at 2/3 retail).
    Everything else goes way over what it's actually worth.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
     
    Matthew Poole, May 30, 2004
    #3
  4. Chris

    Richard Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > This website has been mentioned a couple of times reciently and I have been
    > following some of the actions lately. It seems to me that a lot of these
    > laptops/notebooks are going for quite high amounts e.g. "TOSHIBA SATELLITE
    > PRO 4600 PENTIUM III PROCESSOR, 750 MHZ, 256MB RAM, 14 GB HDD, DVD ROM,
    > WIN2K COA STICKER ONLY" is currently $509 (+13.5% + freight) = $577 +
    > freight. This seems a lot to pay for a notebook that could be 4 (?) years
    > old.
    >
    > Is this just another case of people getting carried away at auctions ? or
    > is this stuff actually worth this much ?


    Used to be great, but now there are too many people bidding up to damn well near
    wholesale on things. Great for the vendors tho..
     
    Richard, May 31, 2004
    #4
  5. Chris

    Peter S Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    news:c9deh0$loo$...
    > In article <40b9b86e$>, Chris <> wrote:
    > *SNIP*
    > >Also nobody seems to bid more than once (ok, some people might make a bid

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > It only records you once. Bid again, and that becomes your recorded
    > bid.
    > It's not like TradeMe, which keeps a fully bidding history, even with
    > multiple bids from the same person.
    >
    > And you're right that the prices are getting looney. Too many people
    > know about the site now, and only the very high-end stuff sells for
    > prices that're realistic (near-new Dell laptops at 2/3 retail).
    > Everything else goes way over what it's actually worth.


    Hmm, the definition of what something is worth is what somebody will pay for
    it. It sounds like this is a good place to sell :)
     
    Peter S, May 31, 2004
    #5
  6. Chris

    Allistar Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > This website has been mentioned a couple of times reciently and I have
    > been
    > following some of the actions lately. It seems to me that a lot of these
    > laptops/notebooks are going for quite high amounts e.g. "TOSHIBA SATELLITE
    > PRO 4600 PENTIUM III PROCESSOR, 750 MHZ, 256MB RAM, 14 GB HDD, DVD ROM,
    > WIN2K COA STICKER ONLY" is currently $509 (+13.5% + freight) = $577 +
    > freight. This seems a lot to pay for a notebook that could be 4 (?) years
    > old.
    >
    > Is this just another case of people getting carried away at auctions ? or
    > is this stuff actually worth this much ?
    >
    > Just noticed this one "DELL LATITUDE C600 PENTIUM III PROCESSOR, 700 MHZ,
    > 256MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, DVD ROM, WIN2K CD, WIN2K COA STICKER ONLY" currently
    > $589 + 13.5% = $668
    >
    > Have also noticed that 1 person goes through at the second or third bid
    > and places a much higer bid then everyone else goes back to the minimum
    > bid. Also nobody seems to bid more than once (ok, some people might make a
    > bid and say to themselves thats the max price i'll pay and not bid
    > anymore). It kind of looks like a form of Russian roulette - who gets
    > stuck with the laptop, loses...


    I do note the laptops tend to go for quite a bit - at least quite a bit more
    than I'm willing to pay. Rarely they have Apple laptops for sale and the
    prices on those seem to be more reasonable (though about getting one and
    installing Mandrake Linux on it).

    Other things can be picked up for a real bargain.

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, May 31, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jtw

    Making an on-line vs off-line image

    jtw, Jul 31, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    466
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Jul 31, 2003
  2. Bleh

    PAP2 Line 1 calling line 2 ?

    Bleh, Apr 26, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    4,902
  3. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    701
    DVD Verdict
    Mar 20, 2006
  4. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,632
    B. Wright
    May 24, 2006
  5. Ian Richardson
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,348
    Brian A
    Mar 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page