    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    JR Guest

    In article <42502625$0$673$>,
    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:

    > I have found a couple of lenses at adorama.com that I am considering.
    > The price is good, but they are labeled as gray market. What is the
    > risk with gray market and why should I or shouldn't I consider a gray
    > market lens.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Warranty....that's it. If you need warranty work, you may have to send
    it overseas...For example, Nikon USA will not provide warranty work for
    a gray market Nikon lens. It only has a warranty with Nikon
    Europe...Now you may have a warranty with Adorama, meaning you send it
    back to them and they deal with it...

    JR

    JR, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:23:53 -0700, in rec.photo.digital JR
    <> wrote:

    >In article <42502625$0$673$>,
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have found a couple of lenses at adorama.com that I am considering.
    >> The price is good, but they are labeled as gray market. What is the
    >> risk with gray market and why should I or shouldn't I consider a gray
    >> market lens.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    >Warranty....that's it. If you need warranty work, you may have to send
    >it overseas...For example, Nikon USA will not provide warranty work for
    >a gray market Nikon lens. It only has a warranty with Nikon
    >Europe...Now you may have a warranty with Adorama, meaning you send it
    >back to them and they deal with it...

    I don't know about adorama. but if you buy gray market from B&H, they
    warrant it. I bought US versions of the D-70 kit and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
    lenses from B&H, but later picked up a gray market, ie imported, TC-20EII
    2x teleconverter.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Apr 3, 2005
  4. On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:23:53 -0700, JR <> wrote:

    >In article <42502625$0$673$>,
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have found a couple of lenses at adorama.com that I am considering.
    >> The price is good, but they are labeled as gray market. What is the
    >> risk with gray market and why should I or shouldn't I consider a gray
    >> market lens.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    >Warranty....that's it. If you need warranty work, you may have to send
    >it overseas...For example, Nikon USA will not provide warranty work for
    >a gray market Nikon lens. It only has a warranty with Nikon
    >Europe...Now you may have a warranty with Adorama, meaning you send it
    >back to them and they deal with it...

    I have read that is not the case with Canon and they will provide
    warranty work on equipment regardless of where it was purchased.

    http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry.pl?id=Greymarket

    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3264

    http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/eosfaq24/9miscellany.html

    I still by USA only because for the few dollars difference I don't see
    being worth the trouble if they decide not to honor a warranty on a
    gray market item.

    "Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

    Tim Page in
    "Dispatches"
    by Michael Herr

    John A. Stovall, Apr 3, 2005
  5. "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:

    > I have found a couple of lenses at adorama.com that I am considering.
    > The price is good, but they are labeled as gray market. What is the
    > risk with gray market and why should I or shouldn't I consider a gray
    > market lens.

    The risk from gray market lenses is that the manufacturer may not
    honor the warranty. If something goes wrong during that period, your
    only recourse would be to Adorama (assuming they offer their own
    one-year warranty on gray market lenses; haven't checked).

    I've bought most of my new bodies and lenses gray market over the
    years, and never had the slightest problem with any of them.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Sheldon Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:23:53 -0700, in rec.photo.digital JR
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <42502625$0$673$>,
    >> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have found a couple of lenses at adorama.com that I am considering.
    >>> The price is good, but they are labeled as gray market. What is the
    >>> risk with gray market and why should I or shouldn't I consider a gray
    >>> market lens.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    >>Warranty....that's it. If you need warranty work, you may have to send
    >>it overseas...For example, Nikon USA will not provide warranty work for
    >>a gray market Nikon lens. It only has a warranty with Nikon
    >>Europe...Now you may have a warranty with Adorama, meaning you send it
    >>back to them and they deal with it...

    > I don't know about adorama. but if you buy gray market from B&H, they
    > warrant it. I bought US versions of the D-70 kit and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
    > lenses from B&H, but later picked up a gray market, ie imported, TC-20EII
    > 2x teleconverter.

    B&H is very open with regard to their grey market lenses and other products.
    I think the lenses are warranted for 1 year instead of three. Whatever, I
    would definitely trust them. They have a great reputation. Do check the
    prices, however. Sometimes the difference isn't worth the shorter warranty,
    depending on the product, but Nikon doesn't have a reputation for shoddy
    products. I would assume if an auto focus lens works when you get it will
    work forever, or at least fail well within a one year warranty.

    Sheldon, Apr 4, 2005