  1. leo

    leo Guest

    how do we use 18% gray card effectively with digital cameras?

    leo, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Manual mode or lock exposure....depends on the camera

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 29, 2004

  3. leo

    leo Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > Manual mode or lock exposure....depends on the camera
    >

    > "leo" <> wrote in message
    > > how do we use 18% gray card effectively with digital cameras?

    i mean the placement of the card. under shadow area as with film cameras?

    leo, Jul 29, 2004
  4. leo

    Mark M Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message
    > "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > > Manual mode or lock exposure....depends on the camera
    > >

    > > "leo" <> wrote in message
    > > > how do we use 18% gray card effectively with digital cameras?

    > i mean the placement of the card. under shadow area as with film cameras?

    Under whatever light your subject is under.
    Subject in shadow? -Card in shadow.
    Subject in sun? -Card in sun.

    Mark M, Jul 29, 2004
  5. leo

    zeitgeist Guest

    > > how do we use 18% gray card effectively with digital cameras?
    >

    > i mean the placement of the card. under shadow area as with film cameras?

    the gray card represents a medium tone in all aspects, place it where you
    want a medium tone.

    generally speaking with digital you want to nail your highlights so I would
    place the card to read a highlight tone, this will help prevent you from
    blowing out your highlights.

    zeitgeist, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Isn't it better just getting a nice new Fuji?

    Do you really want to lug that card around with you wherever you go?

    This is taking digital photography to the pre-Zenith mechanical SLR surreal
    world for sure

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Jul 30, 2004
  7. The salesline: digital photography instant results anywhere

    The practise (for some poor users):

    remember to take your grey card wherever you go

    remember to take your polorizing filters wherever you go

    remember to preshoot the grey card before you take that impromtu or
    improvised on the spur of the moment shot

    I could go on but can't be bothered - it really is a heck of a lot easier
    just getting a Fuji

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Jul 30, 2004
  8. leo wrote:
    > how do we use 18% gray card effectively with digital cameras?

    I don't know if it is true for all digital cameras, but my Toshiba shoots
    like slide film (e.g. blows the highlights) so I tend to meter for the
    highlights rather than the shadows like I would for negs. Meter the gray
    card in highlight, open up two stops.
    --
    Dominic Richens |
    "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

    Dominic Richens, Jul 30, 2004
  9. leo

    Robert Polk Guest

    The same way you used it with film.