    Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Eatmorepies

    Mardon Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:23:45 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
    <> wrote:

    >A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    >useful.
    >
    >Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    >price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >
    >John

    I use an older Wacom Graphire (ET) 4" x 5" tablet with PS CS2. It
    works great. Some of the PS tools are pressure sensitive when using
    the tablet's pen. This is quite convenient. I'd not be able to get
    along without it any more. I do find the 4x5 table a bit small,
    however. I'd probably but the 6x8 version if I got another one.
    Mardon, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Eatmorepies

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    >useful. Is this the case?

    Opinions vary wildly on this ... I have one and think it's very good
    for using the Brush tools, especially with Painter, but for photos I
    don't use the Brush tools that much. If you're using it for painting I
    think it's indispensable but for the kinds of things most photographers
    do it's not a necessity. A really good tablet feels like you're using
    a pen or brush or whatever if it's pressure sensitive and tilt-angle
    sensitive, and using a mouse feels like you are drawing/painting with a
    baseball bat by comparison.

    >If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    >price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary

    Wacom is by far the leading supplier of these ... I have a nice 6x8"
    Wacom Intuous 3, which is probably a bit more than £100 but you can get
    a 4x6" model a lot cheaper. I think Wacom also makes a less expensive
    model than the Intuous (Graphire or similar? not sure), just make sure
    it's pressure sensitive (ie, pressing down harder spreads the ink or
    darkens the color or whatever you'd see with a pen or brush when you
    push down harder).

    There's a really good book out on how to set up a tablet and get the
    most out of all the options with Photoshop and Painter ... "The
    Photoshop and Painter Artist Tablet Book: Creative Techniques in
    Digital Painting" by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 29, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    "Eatmorepies" <> wrote:

    > A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    > useful.
    >
    > Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    > price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >
    > John

    I have a 6x8 tablet that worked via an ADB connection for an older Mac
    Performa. As an artist-painter- and a photographer which i earn my
    living from, I base my comments. There is a disconnect between seeing
    the image on screen and drawing on the tablet. Over time it can be less
    noticed, however when i upgraded to a faster computer I did not buy
    a new tablet (USB) because I purchased a Kensington Studio Mouse IR, I
    dare say its one of the best devices I have seen as of yet and its a lot
    cheaper than a tablet. At this point the only way I would buy a tablet
    is if I could afford the allinone screen and tablet that is several -k
    (IIRC)
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
    Gregory Blank, Nov 29, 2005
  5. "Eatmorepies" <> writes:

    > A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    > useful.
    >
    > Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    > price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.

    It seems to vary widely. I got one and it's still hooked up and
    working, but I hardly *ever* use it, even for facial retouching and
    such where I'm actually drawing lines. Other people report different
    habits. I think the only way you can know is to try one. A fairly
    small, 4x5 one, is a decent test, and is all many people end up
    wanting at least for photoshop work.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Eatmorepies

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    A little aside for those who might edit in the field. Gateway's tablet
    (laptop) computer model M275 has its ENTIRE screen as a Wacom tablet. Rather
    trick for using graphics tools with pen sentitivites.
    Lorem Ipsum, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Eatmorepies

    Mark² Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:
    > A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet
    > is very useful.
    >
    > Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather
    > keep the price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >
    > John

    6x8 Wacom Intuos tablet is a great one. Not too big...not too small. If
    you go smaller, you may find it difficult to control small on-screen
    movements. If you go bigger, you may find that you're making uncomfortably
    large hand movements in some instances, unless you custom-map the drawing
    areas (which is possible). Wacom's Graphire line is cheaper, but when you
    become familiar with the more capable Intuos line's ablities for precision
    and customization, you'll appreciate the difference.

    Here's a link:
    http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm

    -Mark
    Mark², Nov 30, 2005
  8. Eatmorepies

    wilt Guest

    I got my start in computer graphics back in the 70's. I still think
    that the electronic pen and tablet provides much nicer drawing
    ergonimics for randomly shaped object 'tracing' than any mouse can.
    But since much of the tools involve only the need for clicking end
    points of straight lines, I think a mouse has advantage in that
    setting.
    wilt, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Eatmorepies

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    >useful.
    >
    >Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    >price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >
    >John

    John,

    You have gotten some good rec's so far, especially with regards to Wacom. You
    might want to check out their "Refurbished" products on their site. A rebuilt
    Wacom Intuos will work very well and not cost a ton (tonne).

    I'll also chime in by saying that I could not live without my Wacoms. Using
    them with Painter and PS, since the old ArtZII days. Each computer has a
    tablet, all around the 9x12, or 12x12 size. I have an older 4x5, but do not
    like the small size - very personal choice here. As I have desk real estate,
    and do not use the tablet in my lap, the larger size fits my style better.

    I had to do some simple masking recently, and did not have a tablet on the
    laptop at the time. I almost drove myself crazy with the mouse, and just went
    inside, gathered up the tablet, and installed it. All said, however, I come
    from the "old school" of true natural media, so a tablet/stylus is closer to
    what I grew up on.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Eatmorepies

    Steve Guest

    "Mardon" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:23:45 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is
    >>very
    >>useful.
    >>
    >>Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep
    >>the
    >>price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >>
    >>John

    > I use an older Wacom Graphire (ET) 4" x 5" tablet with PS CS2. It
    > works great. Some of the PS tools are pressure sensitive when using
    > the tablet's pen. This is quite convenient. I'd not be able to get
    > along without it any more. I do find the 4x5 table a bit small,
    > however. I'd probably but the 6x8 version if I got another one.

    I have been on graphics tablets since a Kurta XGT 6X8 from '96 (feeling
    old...).

    I couldn't go back to a simple mouse anymore.

    Trying to work with a mouse at art is like trying to paint with a brick.

    I have a Wacom Intuits II, fantastic.

    I still have my old Kurta layout around (serial interface), I finally
    replaced it just because of it's serial port and I needed a USB interface.

    I support I'll have to find a local poor student to give it to...:)

    These things last forever!

    Steve
    Steve, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Eatmorepies

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Eatmorepies <> wrote:

    > A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a graphics tablet is very
    > useful.
    >
    > Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at - I'd rather keep the
    > price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.

    Some things are easier with a mouse, some things are easier with a
    tablet. I find myself using a tablet (yet another entry-level Wacom) for
    anything that could benefit from emulating a pen or brush on paper. For
    navigating Photoshop, however, it's not so good. Trying to perform
    actions, for instance, is always awkward with the tablet.

    Mostly my tablet doesn't get used, because there's no good place to put
    it on the desk.
    Paul Mitchum, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Eatmorepies

    Shive71 Guest

    What is the collective opinion of Aiptek HyperPen graphics tablets?
    Shive71, Dec 1, 2005
  13. Eatmorepies

    wayne Guest

    Hi John,

    Well I like and use the Wacom ones. I use an Intuos 3 with mouse and
    pen on my main machine and several Graphire's (Wacom's cheaper tablets)
    on other computers, again with both mouse and pen. Great devices. The
    intuos 3 is lovely. I prefer the 6x8" model and I find it has that bit
    more room than the 4x5's but is not too big.

    Mouse is great for all general computer work but I use the pen for
    painting, painting masks, etc, where I find the control better.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
    Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
    Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
    wayne, Dec 2, 2005
  14. Eatmorepies

    Matt Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:52:56 -0700, "Steve" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mardon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:23:45 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A book I have bought about Photoshop suggests that a
    >>>graphics tablet is very useful.
    >>>
    >>>Is this the case? If so which do you suggest I look at -
    >>>I'd rather keep the
    >>>price below £100 if possible but would pay more if necessary.
    >>>
    >>>John

    >> I use an older Wacom Graphire (ET) 4" x 5" tablet with PS CS2. It
    >> works great. Some of the PS tools are pressure sensitive when using
    >> the tablet's pen. This is quite convenient. I'd not be able to get
    >> along without it any more. I do find the 4x5 table a bit small,
    >> however. I'd probably but the 6x8 version if I got another one.

    >I have been on graphics tablets since a Kurta XGT 6X8 from '96 (feeling
    >old...).
    >
    >I couldn't go back to a simple mouse anymore.
    >
    >Trying to work with a mouse at art is like trying to paint with a brick.
    >
    >I have a Wacom Intuits II, fantastic.
    >
    >I still have my old Kurta layout around (serial interface), I finally
    >replaced it just because of it's serial port and I needed a USB interface.

    Why, if you like that one, and you ened up with a
    "legacy free" system - evil, cheapskate corner cutting!

    Then just use a USB to Serial interface pod - GREAT!

    One warning though, a friend has a Laptop PC with Sis chipset (known
    to be somewhat buggy in USB handling) and the Prolific PL-2303 based
    USB to serial adapter causes problem if connected via a USB2 hub, but
    is fine if connected directly.

    And definitely, you CANNOT "draw" with a mouse - only a 5 year old can
    draw with a mouse, and everything drawn with a mouse comes out looking
    as if it was drawn by a 5 year old.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Dec 4, 2005
  15. Eatmorepies

    Matt Guest

    On 1 Dec 2005 10:38:57 -0800, "Shive71" <> wrote:

    >What is the collective opinion of Aiptek HyperPen graphics tablets?

    It's not a Wacom, though there's probably not much to choose between
    it and the budget Wacom model, the Volito

    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=79&var2=0
    Volito review

    They make a point that the Wacom pen is battery-free, so is the Aiptek

    The Aiptek mouse does use batteries, while the Wacom does not

    The Volito is described as being "About £40 (UK)"

    http://www.thegadgetstore.com/TemplatePages/Product/40/4/2.htm
    The Aiptek 6000U - at a UK price of £25.95

    The standard pack includes a couple of replacement pen tips, and
    replacement pen and mouse are also available (that's a surprise, for
    one in this price range)

    Is this a one up for the Aiptek over the Volito, though I've not
    actually looked for Volito spares.

    Matt, Dec 4, 2005