graphics question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andy, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I am having problems on my monitor.
    It often has intermittent lines of black dots across the screen.

    I have disabled the graphics card as it was giving me the following
    problems...
    The computer would reboot itself, or a message would appear 'No Signal', or
    it would go into sleep mode.Occasionally I would get the message,
    'The system recovered from a serious error' upon a reboot.

    I have reformatted the HD and done a clean reinstall of XP Professional
    but the problem remains.

    With the graphics card disabled the problems
    above have disappeared except for the lines of dots over parts of the
    screen.

    Is this a graphics card problem or something more serious?

    Running
    Pentium IV 1.6GHz
    1 GB SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 32MB graphics card

    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Andy

    Andy, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Andy

    Chet39 Guest

    If you are using an LCD monitor (not CRT) it is probably the monitor. I
    can't imagine the problem you describe on a CRT.

    If you can, borrow a monitor from a friend and see if the problem goes away.

    Chet39, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Chet39" <> wrote in message
    > If you are using an LCD monitor (not CRT) it is probably the monitor. I
    > can't imagine the problem you describe on a CRT.
    >
    > If you can, borrow a monitor from a friend and see if the problem goes
    > away.

    Thanks Chet.
    I did replace my CRT monitor with an LCD about 2 months ago. Everything
    worked fine up till the last few days.
    I will try my old CRT again.

    Andy, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message

    > "Chet39" <> wrote in message
    >> If you are using an LCD monitor (not CRT) it is probably the monitor. I
    >> can't imagine the problem you describe on a CRT.
    >>
    >> If you can, borrow a monitor from a friend and see if the problem goes
    >> away.

    > Thanks Chet.
    > I did replace my CRT monitor with an LCD about 2 months ago. Everything
    > worked fine up till the last few days.
    > I will try my old CRT again.

    Tried my CRT monitor today and the problem was still there, Chet.
    I think the graphics catd is dying.

    Andy, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Chet39" <> wrote in message
    > If you are using an LCD monitor (not CRT) it is probably the monitor. I
    > can't imagine the problem you describe on a CRT.
    >
    > If you can, borrow a monitor from a friend and see if the problem goes
    > away.
    >
    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >>I am having problems on my monitor.
    >> It often has intermittent lines of black dots across the screen.
    >>
    >> I have disabled the graphics card as it was giving me the following
    >> problems...
    >> The computer would reboot itself, or a message would appear 'No Signal',
    >> or
    >> it would go into sleep mode.Occasionally I would get the message,
    >> 'The system recovered from a serious error' upon a reboot.
    >>

    >> I have reformatted the HD and done a clean reinstall of XP Professional
    >> but the problem remains.
    >>
    >> With the graphics card disabled the problems
    >> above have disappeared except for the lines of dots over parts of the
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Is this a graphics card problem or something more serious?

    I installed a new graphics card today and the problem was fixed.
    Thanks, Chet, for your input.

    Andy, Feb 12, 2007