graphics prob

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dave thomas, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    hello

    further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play a
    kids cd-rom.
    i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and sort
    out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few days,
    as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    graphics chip for me.
    he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough info to
    find the drivers or not.
    its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory. dvd
    writer too.

    does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers for
    it might be?

    thanks in hope!
    dave thomas, Apr 14, 2004

  2. dave thomas wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play a
    > kids cd-rom.
    > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and sort
    > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few days,
    > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > graphics chip for me.
    > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough info to
    > find the drivers or not.
    > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory. dvd
    > writer too.
    >
    > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers for
    > it might be?
    >
    > thanks in hope!

    What it does say is that it is an integrated mobo with graphics
    onboard, as I predicted. I wouldn't even bother playing around with
    drivers for this. If the mobo does have a suitable AGP slot, buy a
    card. A Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV is about
    30GBP and will probably have the game working just like that.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004

  3. dave thomas

    Seijaku Guest

    "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    > dave thomas wrote:
    >
    > > hello
    > >
    > > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play

    > > kids cd-rom.
    > > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and

    sort
    > > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    days,
    > > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > > graphics chip for me.
    > > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    > > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough

    info to
    > > find the drivers or not.
    > > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    > > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory.

    dvd
    > > writer too.
    > >
    > > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers

    for
    > > it might be?
    > >
    > > thanks in hope!
    > >

    > What it does say is that it is an integrated mobo with graphics
    > onboard, as I predicted. I wouldn't even bother playing around with
    > drivers for this. If the mobo does have a suitable AGP slot, buy a
    > card. A Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV is about
    > 30GBP and will probably have the game working just like that.

    Personally, I would advise an Nvidia model.. It's all down to personal
    choice, of course, but I strongly suggest Nvidia. They're widely supported
    both with drivers and support, and most games support them (Thinking about
    the future here).I found the Nvidia Geforce 4 and Nvidia FX5000 to be very
    acceptable.

    I have to agree, however. Intergrated gfx onboard are a pain in the butt.
    Definately get some sort of video card instead of messing with those.
    Seijaku, Apr 14, 2004
  4. dave thomas

    Roy Veevers Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play a
    > kids cd-rom.
    > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and sort
    > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    days,
    > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > graphics chip for me.
    > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough info

    > find the drivers or not.
    > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory.

    dvd
    > writer too.
    >
    > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers for
    > it might be?

    Firstly; What's the kids cd-rom? Secondly; What OS system? Thirdly; It's
    onboard graphics sharing memory and the computer is only a week old,
    therefore drivers should not be needed.

    I'd guess if the OS is XP, the cd-rom might need to be run in compatibility
    mode.
    --
    RV
    Roy Veevers, Apr 14, 2004
  5. dave thomas

    Roy Veevers Guest

    "Seijaku" <> wrote in message

    > "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    > > dave thomas wrote:
    > >
    > > > hello
    > > >
    > > > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to

    play
    > > > kids cd-rom.
    > > > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and

    > sort
    > > > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    > days,
    > > > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > > > graphics chip for me.
    > > > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying

    'intel
    > > > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > > > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough

    > info to
    > > > find the drivers or not.
    > > > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or

    so.
    > > > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256

    memory.
    > dvd
    > > > writer too.
    > > >
    > > > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers

    > for
    > > > it might be?
    > > >
    > > > thanks in hope!
    > > >

    > > What it does say is that it is an integrated mobo with graphics
    > > onboard, as I predicted. I wouldn't even bother playing around with
    > > drivers for this. If the mobo does have a suitable AGP slot, buy a
    > > card. A Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV is about
    > > 30GBP and will probably have the game working just like that.
    > >

    > Personally, I would advise an Nvidia model.. It's all down to personal
    > choice, of course, but I strongly suggest Nvidia. They're widely supported
    > both with drivers and support, and most games support them (Thinking about
    > the future here).I found the Nvidia Geforce 4 and Nvidia FX5000 to be very
    > acceptable.
    >
    > I have to agree, however. Intergrated gfx onboard are a pain in the butt.
    > Definately get some sort of video card instead of messing with those.

    Why install a new graphics card when the onboard video might NOT be the
    problem?

    --
    RV
    Roy Veevers, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Seijaku wrote:

    > "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>dave thomas wrote:
    >>

    >>>hello
    >>>
    >>>further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play

    >>>kids cd-rom.
    >>>i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and

    > sort
    >
    >>>out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    > days,
    >
    >>>as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    >>>graphics chip for me.
    >>>he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    >>>Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    >>>i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough

    > info to
    >
    >>>find the drivers or not.
    >>>its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    >>>think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory.

    > dvd
    >
    >>>writer too.
    >>>
    >>>does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers

    > for
    >
    >>>it might be?
    >>>
    >>>thanks in hope!
    >>>

    >>What it does say is that it is an integrated mobo with graphics
    >>onboard, as I predicted. I wouldn't even bother playing around with
    >>drivers for this. If the mobo does have a suitable AGP slot, buy a
    >>card. A Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV is about
    >>30GBP and will probably have the game working just like that.
    >>

    > Personally, I would advise an Nvidia model.. It's all down to personal
    > choice, of course, but I strongly suggest Nvidia. They're widely supported
    > both with drivers and support, and most games support them (Thinking about
    > the future here).I found the Nvidia Geforce 4 and Nvidia FX5000 to be very
    > acceptable.
    >
    > I have to agree, however. Intergrated gfx onboard are a pain in the butt.
    > Definately get some sort of video card instead of messing with those.

    You are probably right - all I did was pick the cheapest one that I
    would give house-room to - as an example to show you haven't got to
    pay an arm and a leg..
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  7. dave thomas

    hamman Guest

    "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    > dave thomas wrote:
    >
    > > hello
    > >
    > > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play

    > > kids cd-rom.
    > > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and

    sort
    > > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    days,
    > > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > > graphics chip for me.
    > > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    > > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough

    info to
    > > find the drivers or not.
    > > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    > > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory.

    dvd
    > > writer too.
    > >
    > > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers

    for
    > > it might be?
    > >
    > > thanks in hope!
    > >

    > What it does say is that it is an integrated mobo with graphics
    > onboard, as I predicted. I wouldn't even bother playing around with
    > drivers for this. If the mobo does have a suitable AGP slot, buy a
    > card. A Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR 8x AGP S-VIDEO TV is about
    > 30GBP and will probably have the game working just like that.

    That PC will not have an AGP slot, i've serviced a couple of them.

    hamman
    hamman, Apr 14, 2004
  8. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    yep, XP. and its the tweenies game.

    he's actually had it running twice, by accident. but then when he tries
    again it wont work any more.

    can i test it in compatability mode? not understand that.

    thanks a lot

    dave thomas, Apr 14, 2004
  9. dave thomas wrote:

    > yep, XP. and its the tweenies game.
    >
    > he's actually had it running twice, by accident. but then when he tries
    > again it wont work any more.

    I have seen this with an off-road rally game and it was the pretty
    "movie" intro that caused the problem. If you hit <esc> at the right
    time, the "movie" would exit and it ws then possible to run the game.
    Once a graphics card was added, all was well.

    Having seen the comment from another poster that this computer does
    not have a graphics card slot, trying to hit <esc> at the right time
    may be the only option.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 14, 2004
  10. dave thomas

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    > hello
    >
    > further to my last post where im trying to get my mates graphics to play a
    > kids cd-rom.
    > i was advised to find out the mothrboard, and graphics chip etc, and sort
    > out whether it had latest drivers. ill be opening his pc up in a few

    days,
    > as i dont see him that often, but ive asked him if he can suss out the
    > graphics chip for me.
    > he sent me a mail saying there was a sticker on the front saying 'intel
    > Extreme graphics-up to 64MB dymamically shared video memory'.
    > i had a look on intel website but cant suss out whether thats enough info

    > find the drivers or not.
    > its a PC world pc, that was just in an offer over the l;ast week or so.
    > think it was a hewlett packard jobby at £699 for P4, 80 Gb, 256 memory.

    dvd
    > writer too.
    >
    > does this mean enough to anyone to tell me just what the right drivers for
    > it might be?
    >
    > thanks in hope!

    Hi Dave. Palindrome mentions further down the thread that it could be the
    movie intro that causes the problem. I'm pretty sure I just downloaded a
    windows update to address this issue, i.e the movie intro problem. Try going
    to windows update and checking what's available. HTH.

    DG.
    Dan Glybitz, Apr 14, 2004