graphics corruption

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    ok, im the first to admit that my desktop system is shit, its a noisy 900mhz
    AMD TB, with 512mb of memory and a obsolete GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (i think its
    a MX 400).

    i am not much of a gamer (being that my computer sucks for playing new games)
    but when i do play games i carefully choose the ones i buy, checking all
    the min system requirements, ensuring my system exceeds the min and meets
    the recomended - even if i 'aquire a test' beforehand, to ensure its a good
    buy.

    but lately i have noticed something odd when i play games, it seems that
    with a few games that i have either purchased or 'tested before hand' have
    a fair chunk of what would seem to be 'graphics corruption'.

    the best way to describe it would be that a 3d scene is being rendered but
    some parts of that 3d scene are being 'skipped' for example on certain angles
    a AI character could have parts of its leg transparent (can even see the
    'inside' other angles of the leg) but on other angles that leg is visible
    and its the AI characters head that is now invisible.

    it first manifested itself when i tried to play certain a game and the walls
    would randomly be visible or transparent - good for seeing if a enemy was
    behind a door but the playability sucked.

    i do try to have the latest and greatest graphics drivers installed but the
    problem doesn't seem to go away.

    has anybody ever encountered such an issue, how did you 'fix it' - and dont
    say buy a decent vid card.

    it may be required for me to obtain 'obsolete' driver installs and try them
    one by one - does anyone know where i can obtain these older driver definitions
    ?

    any help would be appreciated

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Steven H

    Daniel Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    <snip>

    Curious.

    What game in particular are you experiencing the most problems with?
    Daniel, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Steven H

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:17:40 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
    <> wrote:

    >ok, im the first to admit that my desktop system is shit, its a noisy 900mhz
    >AMD TB, with 512mb of memory and a obsolete GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (i think its
    >a MX 400).
    >
    >i am not much of a gamer (being that my computer sucks for playing new games)
    >but when i do play games i carefully choose the ones i buy, checking all
    >the min system requirements, ensuring my system exceeds the min and meets
    >the recomended - even if i 'aquire a test' beforehand, to ensure its a good
    >buy.
    >
    >but lately i have noticed something odd when i play games, it seems that
    >with a few games that i have either purchased or 'tested before hand' have
    >a fair chunk of what would seem to be 'graphics corruption'.
    >
    >the best way to describe it would be that a 3d scene is being rendered but
    >some parts of that 3d scene are being 'skipped' for example on certain angles
    >a AI character could have parts of its leg transparent (can even see the
    >'inside' other angles of the leg) but on other angles that leg is visible
    >and its the AI characters head that is now invisible.
    >
    >it first manifested itself when i tried to play certain a game and the walls
    >would randomly be visible or transparent - good for seeing if a enemy was
    >behind a door but the playability sucked.
    >
    >i do try to have the latest and greatest graphics drivers installed but the
    >problem doesn't seem to go away.
    >
    >has anybody ever encountered such an issue, how did you 'fix it' - and dont
    >say buy a decent vid card.
    >
    >it may be required for me to obtain 'obsolete' driver installs and try them
    >one by one - does anyone know where i can obtain these older driver definitions
    >?
    >
    >any help would be appreciated

    Probably not, but what about your version of DirectX?
    GraB, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Steven H

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Steven H wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > Curious.
    >
    > What game in particular are you experiencing the most problems with?

    be funny if he said battlefield 2
    hehe
    Krazy Bob, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Steven H

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > ok, im the first to admit that my desktop system is shit, its a noisy
    > 900mhz AMD TB, with 512mb of memory and a obsolete GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (i
    > think its a MX 400).
    >
    > i am not much of a gamer (being that my computer sucks for playing new
    > games) but when i do play games i carefully choose the ones i buy,
    > checking all the min system requirements, ensuring my system exceeds the
    > min and meets the recomended - even if i 'aquire a test' beforehand, to
    > ensure its a good buy.
    >
    > but lately i have noticed something odd when i play games, it seems that
    > with a few games that i have either purchased or 'tested before hand'
    > have a fair chunk of what would seem to be 'graphics corruption'.
    >
    > the best way to describe it would be that a 3d scene is being rendered
    > but some parts of that 3d scene are being 'skipped' for example on
    > certain angles a AI character could have parts of its leg transparent
    > (can even see the 'inside' other angles of the leg) but on other angles
    > that leg is visible and its the AI characters head that is now invisible.
    >
    > it first manifested itself when i tried to play certain a game and the
    > walls would randomly be visible or transparent - good for seeing if a
    > enemy was behind a door but the playability sucked.
    >
    > i do try to have the latest and greatest graphics drivers installed but
    > the problem doesn't seem to go away.
    >
    > has anybody ever encountered such an issue, how did you 'fix it' - and
    > dont say buy a decent vid card.
    >
    > it may be required for me to obtain 'obsolete' driver installs and try
    > them one by one - does anyone know where i can obtain these older driver
    > definitions ?
    >
    > any help would be appreciated
    >
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek

    Your machine sounds similar to mine I clocked my 900AMD to 990 I have a
    aging RIVA TNT2 model 64. I don't play games any more. Its faster than
    the $1000 department specials (just). I now do mostly Photoshop Type
    work (GIMP or Photoshop). I would say your machine has not the time to
    render all of the items in the field of view so some things arn't
    rendered properly like the walls doors and legs!

    I gave up even thinking about keeping machines up to speed as $$$$
    weren't there ended up buying a PS2 a graphics card with a dvd
    controller!

    Robert Cooze, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Daniel,

    > Curious.
    >
    > What game in particular are you experiencing the most problems with?

    the clipping happens lots in 'Army Ranger Mogadishu', 'World War 2 Sniper',
    'SWAT 3 Elite Edition', Rainbow Six (Rouge Spear & another mission pack)

    other games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Counterstrike (not source), Half
    Life (not source), Rainbow Six Raven Shield - games that tax the system much
    more than the above mentioned games i dont have any problems with (well Rainbow
    Six Raven Shield blue screenes by main machine but runs on a diffrent machine
    so go figure).

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Krazy,

    > be funny if he said battlefield 2
    > hehe

    i aint that supid

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello GraB,

    > Probably not, but what about your version of DirectX?

    atm im running 9b

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Steven H

    Daniel Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > Hello Daniel,
    >
    >> Curious.
    >>
    >> What game in particular are you experiencing the most problems with?

    > the clipping happens lots in 'Army Ranger Mogadishu', 'World War 2
    > Sniper', 'SWAT 3 Elite Edition', Rainbow Six (Rouge Spear & another
    > mission pack)

    From a wee bit of googling it appears all the above games - with the
    exception of SWAT 3 EE (I probably didn't look hard enough) - appear to
    have known clipping problems.

    That and the fact that you don't experience any issues with other games
    seems to indicate:-
    1) Your gfx card is fine
    2) There are noticeable bugs in the 3D engines for those games (other
    engines have bugs too, but, they're just not bad enough that you notice)
    Daniel, Jan 29, 2006