Graphics card

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendon, May 31, 2006.

  1. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    Have just bought a 19" widescreen tft, and onboard 64meg doesn't seem to
    support the required resolution - 1440x900, even with updated drivers - so
    am in the market for cheaper end of the market graphics card - something
    round the 9250 end - 128 meg, dvi, vga and tvout. Is selling for $59+gst so
    it suits my budget. Question is - will it do the widescreen resolution for
    my monitor? Do I have to go to the next level - the 9550?

    Very new to this ball game - graphics cards - any help appreciated.

    Oh - FTR - NO gaming needs at all!!!

    Thanks
    Brendon
    Brendon, May 31, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Brendon

    Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:57:13 +1200, "Brendon" <> wrote:

    >Have just bought a 19" widescreen tft, and onboard 64meg doesn't seem to
    >support the required resolution - 1440x900, even with updated drivers - so
    >am in the market for cheaper end of the market graphics card - something
    >round the 9250 end - 128 meg, dvi, vga and tvout. Is selling for $59+gst so
    >it suits my budget. Question is - will it do the widescreen resolution for
    >my monitor? Do I have to go to the next level - the 9550?
    >
    >Very new to this ball game - graphics cards - any help appreciated.
    >
    >Oh - FTR - NO gaming needs at all!!!
    >
    >Thanks
    >Brendon
    >




    No get a Real 3D card made by Nvidia..
    , May 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brendon

    Daniel Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > Have just bought a 19" widescreen tft, and onboard 64meg doesn't seem to
    > support the required resolution - 1440x900, even with updated drivers - so
    > am in the market for cheaper end of the market graphics card - something
    > round the 9250 end - 128 meg, dvi, vga and tvout. Is selling for $59+gst so
    > it suits my budget. Question is - will it do the widescreen resolution for
    > my monitor? Do I have to go to the next level - the 9550?
    >
    > Very new to this ball game - graphics cards - any help appreciated.
    >
    > Oh - FTR - NO gaming needs at all!!!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brendon
    >
    >


    Curious.

    What make/model of integrated graphics do you have?

    What O/S are you using?
    Daniel, May 31, 2006
    #3
  4. Brendon

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Brendon" <> wrote in message
    news:e5koth$7v6$...
    > Have just bought a 19" widescreen tft, and onboard 64meg doesn't seem to
    > support the required resolution - 1440x900, even with updated drivers - so
    > am in the market for cheaper end of the market graphics card - something
    > round the 9250 end - 128 meg, dvi, vga and tvout. Is selling for $59+gst
    > so it suits my budget. Question is - will it do the widescreen resolution
    > for my monitor? Do I have to go to the next level - the 9550?
    >
    > Very new to this ball game - graphics cards - any help appreciated.
    >

    Tried Powerstrip? It's free and you can create custom resolutions for any
    monitor.
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm


    -KENT
    Kent Smith, May 31, 2006
    #4
  5. Brendon

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Jun 1, 2006
    #5
  6. Brendon

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-31, Daniel <> wrote:
    > Kent Smith wrote:
    >> Tried Powerstrip? It's free and you can create custom resolutions for any
    >> monitor.
    >> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
    >>

    >
    > Not really free (as in beer).
    >
    > Perhaps RivaTuner would be a better (genuinely free) option:-
    > http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    >


    regedit comes with with windows and lets you do that too...
    not the world's best UI though.




    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Jun 3, 2006
    #6
  7. Brendon

    Daniel Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2006-05-31, Daniel <> wrote:
    >> Kent Smith wrote:
    >>> Tried Powerstrip? It's free and you can create custom resolutions for any
    >>> monitor.
    >>> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
    >>>

    >> Not really free (as in beer).
    >>
    >> Perhaps RivaTuner would be a better (genuinely free) option:-
    >> http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    >>

    >
    > regedit comes with with windows and lets you do that too...
    > not the world's best UI though.
    >
    >


    Yeah, RivaTuner basically tweaks the NVIDIA and ATI registry settings
    AFAICT.

    However, how could you perform a test of the new settings to make sure
    they work okay without making them permament (like you can with
    RivaTuner and similar utilities).
    Daniel, Jun 5, 2006
    #7
  8. Brendon

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-06-05, Daniel <> wrote:
    > Jasen Betts wrote:
    >> On 2006-05-31, Daniel <> wrote:
    >>> Kent Smith wrote:
    >>>> Tried Powerstrip? It's free and you can create custom resolutions for any
    >>>> monitor.
    >>>> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
    >>>>
    >>> Not really free (as in beer).
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps RivaTuner would be a better (genuinely free) option:-
    >>> http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    >>>

    >>
    >> regedit comes with with windows and lets you do that too...
    >> not the world's best UI though.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Yeah, RivaTuner basically tweaks the NVIDIA and ATI registry settings
    > AFAICT.
    >
    > However, how could you perform a test of the new settings to make sure
    > they work okay without making them permament (like you can with
    > RivaTuner and similar utilities).


    After getting a good mode in Xwindows I wrote down the paramters
    (pixel clock rate, totals, sync polarity, start and end etc.
    and then used them in windows...

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Jun 7, 2006
    #8
  9. Brendon

    Daniel Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    >
    > After getting a good mode in Xwindows I wrote down the paramters
    > (pixel clock rate, totals, sync polarity, start and end etc.
    > and then used them in windows...
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen


    Hmmm... I see.

    I think I'll stick with RivaTuner thanks.
    Daniel, Jun 7, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Harvey Gratt

    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 Graphics

    Harvey Gratt, Oct 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,839
    pcbutts1
    Oct 9, 2005
  2. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,478
    Silverstrand
    Mar 5, 2007
  3. sharonf
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,273
    Jerry Attic
    Mar 27, 2007
  4. Mrs. Chickpea
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,851
    Sharon
    May 26, 2008
  5. Ian
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,152
Loading...

Share This Page