    unsure of what to do.

    TIA

    Netty

    Netty, Oct 23, 2007

  2. Netty

    Guest

    On Oct 24, 2:37 am, "Netty" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    > the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to 512mb
    > as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    > graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or would
    > I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new card?

    Depends. I've known motherboards that have a discrete gfx card
    override the onboard automatically, and there are others that
    must be manually configured in the BIOS. Some BIOSes have
    provision to select between Auto, Onboard and discrete card.
    Some do not have the Auto option, but selects the card anyway
    if it's present. Some do not use the onboard display automatically
    even if a separate card is not present. If this last type had
    been previously set to use a gfx card which is no longer present,
    the only way to get it to use the onboard gfx is to clear the
    BIOS to default.

    The only way others can help you is if you give details of your
    configuration, including the motherboard model number.

    Re the graphics card, the amount of gfx memory is not the only
    factor that affects gaming performance. It's important to have
    a card with a reasonably modern graphics processor (GPU). An
    8600GT with 256MB will blow away a 6600GT with 512MB.

    , Oct 24, 2007

  3. Netty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:37:45 +0100, "Netty" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    >the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to 512mb
    >as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    >graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or would
    >I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new card?
    >
    >This is the first time I've had a PC with onboard graphics so I am a bit
    >unsure of what to do.

    You would need to disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

    Evan Platt, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Netty

    Dave Guest

    On Oct 23, 3:37 pm, "Netty" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    > the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to 512mb
    > as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    > graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or would
    > I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new card?
    >
    > This is the first time I've had a PC with onboard graphics so I am a bit
    > unsure of what to do.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Netty

    Can't you also disable the onboard video in the "systems" part of the
    Control Panel?

    Dave, Oct 24, 2007
  5. Netty

    Netty Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 24, 2:37 am, "Netty" <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    >> the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to
    >> 512mb
    >> as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    >> graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or
    >> would
    >> I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new
    >> card?
    >>

    > Depends. I've known motherboards that have a discrete gfx card
    > override the onboard automatically, and there are others that
    > must be manually configured in the BIOS. Some BIOSes have
    > provision to select between Auto, Onboard and discrete card.
    > Some do not have the Auto option, but selects the card anyway
    > if it's present. Some do not use the onboard display automatically
    > even if a separate card is not present. If this last type had
    > been previously set to use a gfx card which is no longer present,
    > the only way to get it to use the onboard gfx is to clear the
    > BIOS to default.
    >
    > The only way others can help you is if you give details of your
    > configuration, including the motherboard model number.
    >
    > Re the graphics card, the amount of gfx memory is not the only
    > factor that affects gaming performance. It's important to have
    > a card with a reasonably modern graphics processor (GPU). An
    > 8600GT with 256MB will blow away a 6600GT with 512MB.

    If it helps, the mobo is a MSI (Micro-Star International) K9N6GM series with
    NVidia Geforce 6100 Nforce 405 graphics/sound onboard. I haven't found much
    useful info on the internet about this board. Even Everest doesn't recognise
    it. Mind you, it'll teach me to buy an Evesham PC! The mobo booklet that
    came with the PC is completely useless. I'm going to have to take the side
    of the pc to find out what slots I have available, but if I do that the
    warranty goes out the window - not that an Evesham warranty is worth much
    nowadays with the company going up the swanney!

    Netty, Oct 24, 2007
  6. Netty

    Guest

    On Oct 25, 1:30 am, "Netty" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 24, 2:37 am, "Netty" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi

    > >> My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    > >> the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to
    > >> 512mb
    > >> as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    > >> graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or
    > >> would
    > >> I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new
    > >> card?

    > > Depends. I've known motherboards that have a discrete gfx card
    > > override the onboard automatically, and there are others that
    > > must be manually configured in the BIOS. Some BIOSes have
    > > provision to select between Auto, Onboard and discrete card.
    > > Some do not have the Auto option, but selects the card anyway
    > > if it's present. Some do not use the onboard display automatically
    > > even if a separate card is not present. If this last type had
    > > been previously set to use a gfx card which is no longer present,
    > > the only way to get it to use the onboard gfx is to clear the
    > > BIOS to default.

    > > The only way others can help you is if you give details of your
    > > configuration, including the motherboard model number.

    > > Re the graphics card, the amount of gfx memory is not the only
    > > factor that affects gaming performance. It's important to have
    > > a card with a reasonably modern graphics processor (GPU). An
    > > 8600GT with 256MB will blow away a 6600GT with 512MB.

    > If it helps, the mobo is a MSI (Micro-Star International) K9N6GM series with
    > NVidia Geforce 6100 Nforce 405 graphics/sound onboard. I haven't found much
    > useful info on the internet about this board. Even Everest doesn't recognise
    > it. Mind you, it'll teach me to buy an Evesham PC! The mobo booklet that
    > came with the PC is completely useless. I'm going to have to take the side
    > of the pc to find out what slots I have available, but if I do that the
    > warranty goes out the window - not that an Evesham warranty is worth much
    > nowadays with the company going up the swanney!- Hide quoted text -

    You have to open the side cover anyway if you want to install a
    graphics card.

    The model number indicates an MSI motherboard with an nVidia
    chipset for AMD socket-AM2 CPUs. I don't have that exact mobo
    with me, but I assume that the BIOS options will be closely
    similar to other MSI/AMD/nVidia mobos.

    In any case, you have one PCI-Express x16 slot for a graphics
    card, one PCI-Express x1 slot and two PCI slots.

    The "Advanced Chipset Features" page in BIOS gives you the
    choice of setting Onboard or PCI-Express card as the primary
    graphics adapter. Set it to PCI-Express if you're going to use
    a PCI-E card. It will still use the onboard gfx if a PCI-E card
    is not installed.

    , Oct 24, 2007
  7. Netty

    Netty Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 25, 1:30 am, "Netty" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Depends. I've known motherboards that have a discrete gfx card
    >> > override the onboard automatically, and there are others that
    >> > must be manually configured in the BIOS. Some BIOSes have
    >> > provision to select between Auto, Onboard and discrete card.
    >> > Some do not have the Auto option, but selects the card anyway
    >> > if it's present. Some do not use the onboard display automatically
    >> > even if a separate card is not present. If this last type had
    >> > been previously set to use a gfx card which is no longer present,
    >> > the only way to get it to use the onboard gfx is to clear the
    >> > BIOS to default.

    >> > The only way others can help you is if you give details of your
    >> > configuration, including the motherboard model number.

    >> > Re the graphics card, the amount of gfx memory is not the only
    >> > factor that affects gaming performance. It's important to have
    >> > a card with a reasonably modern graphics processor (GPU). An
    >> > 8600GT with 256MB will blow away a 6600GT with 512MB.

    >> If it helps, the mobo is a MSI (Micro-Star International) K9N6GM series
    >> with
    >> NVidia Geforce 6100 Nforce 405 graphics/sound onboard. I haven't found
    >> much
    >> useful info on the internet about this board. Even Everest doesn't
    >> recognise
    >> it. Mind you, it'll teach me to buy an Evesham PC! The mobo booklet that
    >> came with the PC is completely useless. I'm going to have to take the
    >> side
    >> of the pc to find out what slots I have available, but if I do that the
    >> warranty goes out the window - not that an Evesham warranty is worth much
    >> nowadays with the company going up the swanney!- Hide quoted text -

    > You have to open the side cover anyway if you want to install a
    > graphics card.
    >
    > The model number indicates an MSI motherboard with an nVidia
    > chipset for AMD socket-AM2 CPUs. I don't have that exact mobo
    > with me, but I assume that the BIOS options will be closely
    > similar to other MSI/AMD/nVidia mobos.
    >
    > In any case, you have one PCI-Express x16 slot for a graphics
    > card, one PCI-Express x1 slot and two PCI slots.
    >
    > The "Advanced Chipset Features" page in BIOS gives you the
    > choice of setting Onboard or PCI-Express card as the primary
    > graphics adapter. Set it to PCI-Express if you're going to use
    > a PCI-E card. It will still use the onboard gfx if a PCI-E card
    > is not installed.

    So I presume a PCI-E card is better than a PCI card??? I notice there's not
    too many PCI cards to choose from on Ebuyer. What Nvidia card would you
    suggest, I'm leaning more towards some sort of series 7 card but will one of
    those bump up my Vista Score enough to play some of the new RPG games
    especially Halo 2 for Vista? Apparently I'm currently holding at about 3.4
    and need at least 4 for this game.

    The bios is essentially the same as on my old PC so I'm ok tinkering with
    that. I've never had a mobo with onboard graphics before and I want to get
    it right without frying anything (I've done that a few years ago when adding
    RAM, expensive mistake that was!).

    Netty, Oct 25, 2007
  8. Netty

    Guest

    On Oct 25, 4:37 am, "Netty" <> wrote:

    > So I presume a PCI-E card is better than a PCI card??? I notice there's not
    > too many PCI cards to choose from on Ebuyer. What Nvidia card would you
    > suggest, I'm leaning more towards some sort of series 7 card but will one of
    > those bump up my Vista Score enough to play some of the new RPG games
    > especially Halo 2 for Vista? Apparently I'm currently holding at about 3.4
    > and need at least 4 for this game.

    As far as gaming graphics cards are concerned, PCI is ancient
    technology. AGP is being phased out. The choice of PCI-Express
    card depends on your budget and the rest of your configuration.
    The power of a high-end graphics card will be partly wasted
    when paired with a low-end CPU and a low amount of memory.

    I suggest you start by considering a 7600GT as a low-end gaming
    card. Don't be fooled by the low-end cards in a series such as
    a 7300 or an 8500. They are never as good as a mid-range card
    in an older series. If you're price-conscious (as most of us are),
    I suggest you look at the prices of 7600GT, 8600GT, 7900/7950
    GT/GTX, 8800GTS ......, and then decide how much you're willing
    to spend. The cards I mentioned are only representative. The
    available options are too numerous to list them all here.

    > The bios is essentially the same as on my old PC so I'm ok tinkering with
    > that. I've never had a mobo with onboard graphics before and I want to get
    > it right without frying anything (I've done that a few years ago when adding
    > RAM, expensive mistake that was!).- Hide quoted text -

    Just make sure, before you start poking inside your computer,
    that all power sources are disconnected, not just switched off.
    Also discharge yourself of any static electricity by touching a
    grounded metallic object such as a water pipe.

    , Oct 25, 2007
  9. Netty

    Plato Guest

    Netty wrote:

    > My baby ATX motherboard has onboard graphics/sound. The sound is fine but
    > the graphics is only 128mb and I would like to upgrade the graphics to 512mb
    > as my hubby can't play his RPG games on this pc. If I installed a new
    > graphics card would it automatically override the onboard graphics or would
    > I have to tweak the system in some way to get it to recognise the new card?

    Depends. Often one can just add a new card then disable the onboard
    "card" in the BIOS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 27, 2007