    Sub-$400 would be nice.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Lodi

    Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    >Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >
    >Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
    >
    >Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >
    >Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?
    , Feb 2, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:40:31 +1300, noone wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    >>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >>
    >>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
    >>speak.
    >>
    >>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >>
    >>Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Lodi

    > Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

    I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
    with 1 gig RAM. Running XP

    Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
    the collected wisdom of the group.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:23:15 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:40:31 +1300, noone wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    >>>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >>>
    >>>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
    >>>speak.
    >>>
    >>>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >>>
    >>>Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>Lodi

    >> Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

    >I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
    >with 1 gig RAM. Running XP
    >
    >Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
    >the collected wisdom of the group.
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    I am refering to the PSU as these cards can draw 80W or more..
    , Feb 2, 2008
  5. Lodi

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    >Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >
    >Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
    >
    >Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >
    >Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    I suppose how demanding the games are, some would require the latest
    cards, but a look on http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html shows there
    is plenty of choice under $400, including GeForce 8800 varieties and
    ATI's recent HD 3870 512 MB. I would favour the latter for video
    under XP. It can also run two screens at different resolutions and
    refresh rates.
    Nighthawk, Feb 2, 2008
  6. Lodi

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:16:48 +1300, Nighthawk <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    >>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >>
    >>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
    >>
    >>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >>
    >>Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Lodi

    >I suppose how demanding the games are, some would require the latest
    >cards, but a look on http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html shows there
    >is plenty of choice under $400, including GeForce 8800 varieties and
    >ATI's recent HD 3870 512 MB. I would favour the latter for video
    >under XP. It can also run two screens at different resolutions and
    >refresh rates.

    PS If silence is a requrement Sapphire has a HD 3850 with heatpipe
    cooling, nearly as fast as the 3870. These are ideal for
    HomeTheatrePC, with hardware decoding for nearly every major video
    type, including the new HD formats, H264, WMV9, MPEG 1 & 2, DivX, VC1.

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_11954.html
    Nighthawk, Feb 2, 2008
  7. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Lodi exclaimed:
    > Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.

    Pretty much all of the modern cards will be dual head,
    and most are PCI express.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/03/the_best_gaming_g
    raphics/
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Feb 2, 2008
  8. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 22:51:24 +1300, noone wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:23:15 +0100 (CET), Lodi <> wrote:

    >>> Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

    >>I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
    >>with 1 gig RAM. Running XP
    >>
    >>Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
    >>the collected wisdom of the group.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Lodi

    > I am refering to the PSU as these cards can draw 80W or more..

    350 watts. Will keep an eye out for that. Thanks

    Lodi
    Lodi, Feb 2, 2008
  9. Lodi

    thingy Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
    > Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    >
    > Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
    >
    > Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
    >
    > Sub-$400 would be nice.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi,

    Anything from a 7600GT at $150 and upwards...for good performance I
    would avoid the 8600GT....a 8800GT would be an aace card at around $400....
    thingy, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:07:02 +1300
    thingy <> wrote:

    > Lodi wrote:
    > > Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express
    > > card. Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
    > >
    > > Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
    > > speak.
    > >
    > > Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it
    > > somewhere.
    > >
    > > Sub-$400 would be nice.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Lodi

    > Hi,
    >
    > Anything from a 7600GT at $150 and upwards...for good performance I
    > would avoid the 8600GT....a 8800GT would be an aace card at around
    > $400....

    Hi
    I'm running an GeForce 8600 GTS silent, works fine for me :) I had a
    6600 before. It's twice as fast when not running compiz etc, and about
    a third faster with compiz running. I only wanted something with dual
    DVI and don't run any 3D games (except the flightsim in googleearth).
    I've yet to try the HD out, must get around to that sometime...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2008