    but it's still not signed) so I'd like to change it to something else. Any
    suggestions? 256 RAM by the way.
    Thanks

    Ray, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Ray wrote:
    > Sorry, don't know a lot about computers but will any graphics card
    > work with my PIII 800 motherboard, (chipset VIA VT82C693A, Apollo pro
    > 133). It's currently got a S3Savage 2000 AGP graphics card in but
    > it's running really crap with XP, despite changing the drivers (think
    > I've got the most recent but it's still not signed) so I'd like to
    > change it to something else. Any suggestions? 256 RAM by the way.

    That's actually a pretty old card..

    Get something like an inexpensive 128MB nVidia or ATI card - AGP.
    Just about any of them should work fine - perhaps not to their full
    potential - but likely better than what you have.

    Also, if all you have is 256MB of system RAM, you may want to consider
    investing in 256MB more RAM or upping the processor to the highest your
    motherboard will take or all three of those things.

    Also, you should likely clean up your system and secure it a bit.. Some
    general advice I like throwing around (I'm sure lots of people are sick of
    seeing it, but it catches a lot of different problems..):

    Turn on that firewall...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp
    (It has been reported that it now works with AOL 9.0+)

    Make sure you have all the updates (critical) installed from:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    (Scan for updates, Review and Install)

    Get rid of the spy/ad/mal-ware..
    (Yes - using MORE than one of these..
    I recommend at least the first three.)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder

    Hijack This!
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    I also like "The Cleaner" and "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard".
    - http://www.moosoft.com/
    - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The first is a PAY product, but useable for 30 days - it has found and
    eliminated problems in the past the others did not. The latter two are
    prevention mechanisms. I like SpywareGuard for those with enough processor
    to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser
    hijacking quite well.

    And Assortment of Others:
    http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

    After you cleanup your PC somewhat of spy/ad/mal-ware, verify your antivirus
    software is updated and run a full scan of your computer. If you have no
    antivirus software - get one NOW! Grisoft AntiVirus:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about
    80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)
    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
    do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB
    and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click
    OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or
    more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

    Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is to
    your advantage to remove it.

    Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    Google Toolbar.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Ray

    Michael-NC Guest

    No Ray, not all cards will work with that board. With the CPU limitation you
    have on that particular chipset, you are already limited to older games but
    with any non-gaming application, it should not really "run like crap". I
    just recently put together a little machine to burn CD's and it has a 450
    MHz CPU and an old Rendition 2100 video chipset which has 4MB memory. It
    runs just fine under XP Pro but forget about gaming.

    If you are thinking about running games on that machine, think about an
    upgrade to the CPU and memory first, then worry about the video. If you want
    to run some older games, a Geforce 2 Pro chipset with 32 MBs of ram would be
    an appropriate video solution for your platform.

    If the machine is just slogging through non-gaming apps, I would suggest
    it's not the video adapter and an install of the latest drivers for the
    _motherboard_ as well as the video adapter should cure your ills. If not, a
    complete "tune up" of your PC would be in order.

    Michael-NC, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Ray

    Jetro Guest

    You didn't provide much enough details about the system, so you have to open
    the box if the manual was lost.
    I believe you got on-board S3 Savage video and you can upgrade
    video/graphics system, if the motherboard has the AGP slot.

    Jetro, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Ray

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > If you are thinking about running games on that machine, think about
    > an upgrade to the CPU and memory first, then worry about the video. If
    > you want to run some older games, a Geforce 2 Pro chipset with 32 MBs
    > of ram would be an appropriate video solution for your platform.

    Here's an interesting one for you. I have two similar machines:
    A7n8X-Deluxe
    XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ levels
    GF4 Ti4400
    512 megs of PC400 @ 400 mhz

    Asus A7N266-VMAA
    XP1800+
    GF Ti4200
    256 megs of PC266 @ 266

    I ran Final Fantasy XI Benchmark on both machines. The top one got 3024,
    the bottom got 2765 (playable is over 1000, good is in the 3000-4000
    range).

    I overclocked the Ti4400 from 285/550 to 300/610 and ran it again. It
    then got 3102. I overclocked the Ti4200 from 275/500 or whatever it's
    stock speed is to 290/605. I ran the test again on that machine and it
    got 3070.

    So that's a machine with /only/ an Athlon XP1800+ and /only/ 256 megs of
    RAM that thanks to the graphics card being nearly equal, kept right up
    with a machine almost twice as fast in every other respect.

    I noticed similar results with UT2k3. My theory on this is that those
    games are far more stessing to the video subsystem, and thus even an XP
    1800+ can keep the game running enough that the video limits it. Keep in
    mind I don't benchmark at 320x200 with 4 colors to stress the CPUs, I run
    at real world settings. UT2k3 was run at 800x600x32bit color with the
    same details and physics effects on each machine, and FFXIBench was run
    at 1024x768, there are no other configurable options.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Ray

    Michael-NC Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in
    >
    > > If you are thinking about running games on that machine, think about
    > > an upgrade to the CPU and memory first, then worry about the video. If
    > > you want to run some older games, a Geforce 2 Pro chipset with 32 MBs
    > > of ram would be an appropriate video solution for your platform.

    > Here's an interesting one for you. I have two similar machines:
    > A7n8X-Deluxe
    > XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ levels
    > GF4 Ti4400
    > 512 megs of PC400 @ 400 mhz
    >
    > Asus A7N266-VMAA
    > XP1800+
    > GF Ti4200
    > 256 megs of PC266 @ 266
    >
    > I ran Final Fantasy XI Benchmark on both machines. The top one got 3024,
    > the bottom got 2765 (playable is over 1000, good is in the 3000-4000
    > range).
    >
    > I overclocked the Ti4400 from 285/550 to 300/610 and ran it again. It
    > then got 3102. I overclocked the Ti4200 from 275/500 or whatever it's
    > stock speed is to 290/605. I ran the test again on that machine and it
    > got 3070.
    >
    > So that's a machine with /only/ an Athlon XP1800+ and /only/ 256 megs of
    > RAM that thanks to the graphics card being nearly equal, kept right up
    > with a machine almost twice as fast in every other respect.
    >
    > I noticed similar results with UT2k3. My theory on this is that those
    > games are far more stessing to the video subsystem, and thus even an XP
    > 1800+ can keep the game running enough that the video limits it. Keep in
    > mind I don't benchmark at 320x200 with 4 colors to stress the CPUs, I run
    > at real world settings. UT2k3 was run at 800x600x32bit color with the
    > same details and physics effects on each machine, and FFXIBench was run
    > at 1024x768, there are no other configurable options.

    It goes to show that hardware is still way ahead of software. A good, entry
    level gaming system would be an XP2000 with 512 MB ram and a GF 5200 Ultra
    card. By Entry level system, I mean a system that would run every game out
    now and games coming out in the next 12 months or so and run them with most
    features turned on.

    Michael-NC, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Try find

    Phirax Savage4 0.9.77-W2K (Beta 1).exe

    works with XP and have directX support

    not bad, I use this drivers on my machine (AMD Barton 2.5)

    an some S3 Savge card

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, don't know a lot about computers but will any graphics card work

    with
    > my PIII 800 motherboard, (chipset VIA VT82C693A, Apollo pro 133). It's
    > currently got a S3Savage 2000 AGP graphics card in but it's running

    really
    > crap with XP, despite changing the drivers (think I've got the most recent
    > but it's still not signed) so I'd like to change it to something else. Any
    > suggestions? 256 RAM by the way.
    > Thanks

    ---

    Srecko Ristic, Feb 29, 2004