    Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
    cheaper one made by some other company?

    TIA
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004

  2. -[Myth]- wrote:
    > Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
    > cheaper one made by some other company?

    not a hell of a lot...

    the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
    be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
    default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
    most benchmarks...

    Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
    time, they're all close enough for my purposes...

    whatcha gonna use it for?
    gaming?
    overclocking?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 21, 2004

  3. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:40:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
    >> cheaper one made by some other company?

    > not a hell of a lot...
    >
    > the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
    > be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
    > default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
    > most benchmarks...
    >
    > Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
    > time, they're all close enough for my purposes...
    >
    > whatcha gonna use it for?
    > gaming?
    > overclocking?

    thanks, its also a hell of a lot cheaper.
    I'll just be using it for gaming.
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004
  4. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:40:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
    >> cheaper one made by some other company?

    > not a hell of a lot...
    >
    > the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
    > be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
    > default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
    > most benchmarks...
    >
    > Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
    > time, they're all close enough for my purposes...
    >
    > whatcha gonna use it for?
    > gaming?
    > overclocking?

    Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
    motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004
  5. -[Myth]- wrote:
    > Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
    > motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

    Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?

    Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
    say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 21, 2004
  6. -[Myth]-

    samg Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in

    > Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
    > cheaper one made by some other company?
    >
    > TIA

    slower ram, output types, different cooling solutions (cheap ones often
    have noisy fans)etc.....hit the review sites.
    samg, May 21, 2004

  7. >Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?

    WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
    What were you running.
    .....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc
    Steve Robertson, May 21, 2004
  8. -[Myth]-

    colinco Guest

    In article <40ada3e8$>, says...
    > WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
    > What were you running.
    > ....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc

    Some new boards hardly use any 5V so needing 15-20A of 12V is becoming
    common.
    colinco, May 21, 2004
  9. -[Myth]-

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    > overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >
    > Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
    > say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    I have had 2 powersupplies die recently, never had any die before other then
    ones I blew up myself. Both "featured" Active PFC, an item of marginal use in a
    domestic situation.
    Richard, May 21, 2004
  10. -[Myth]-

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:03:23 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >-[Myth]- wrote:
    >> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
    >> motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

    >Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >
    >Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
    >say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    What on earth are you running in your machine? I have no trouble with
    my HEC 250W PSU.
    GraB, May 21, 2004
  11. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 05:45:22 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:

    >>Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >>overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >>

    > WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
    > What were you running.
    > ....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc

    my 220W supply is running atm a CDRW, DVD, motherboard, 512 ram, radeon
    8500, with no probs.
    -[Myth]-, May 21, 2004
  12. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other
    >> components: motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

    > Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    > overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >
    > Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall
    > we say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    Enermax, while generally good PSUs, are know for exaggerating their power
    outputs a bit.

    I like these new AcBel 400W PSUs, they seem to err on the side of
    under-rating. Reasonable price for a quality bit of kit too.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 21, 2004
  13. -[Myth]-

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:27:13 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other
    >>> components: motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

    >> Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >> overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >>
    >> Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall
    >> we say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    >Enermax, while generally good PSUs, are know for exaggerating their power
    >outputs a bit.
    >
    >I like these new AcBel 400W PSUs, they seem to err on the side of
    >under-rating. Reasonable price for a quality bit of kit too.

    Really? I saqw a review on PSUs recently and while most generic PSUs
    failed to measure up to their rated output, the Enermax exceeded their
    rating.
    GraB, May 22, 2004
  14. Steve Robertson wrote:

    >>Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >>overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?

    > WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
    > What were you running.
    > ....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc

    Dual Athlon 1800+, 512Reg ECC DDR, DVD-rom, CDRW, two IDE Hdd, 3 scsi
    Hdd, AGP card, PCI video too, SCSI card, one NIC, one wireless, sound
    card too...
    recommended was 300, but I figured that I'd use the overkill principle.

    The three scsi drives werent in there all the time, only when more
    storage was needed.

    my machine blew and fried the mobo and ram, but the CPUs are fine(yay?).
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2004
  15. -[Myth]-

    Rich Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > -[Myth]- wrote:
    > >> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other
    > >> components: motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

    > > Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    > > overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    > >
    > > Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall
    > > we say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    > Enermax, while generally good PSUs, are know for exaggerating their power
    > outputs a bit.

    You might want to check your sources on that info. My old Enermax 350W did
    almost 380W. Thermaltake are pretty bad for inflating their wattages.
    Rich, May 24, 2004
  16. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
    >>> overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
    >>>
    >>> Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall
    >>> we say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

    >> Enermax, while generally good PSUs, are know for exaggerating their
    >> power outputs a bit.

    > You might want to check your sources on that info. My old Enermax
    > 350W did almost 380W. Thermaltake are pretty bad for inflating their
    > wattages.

    My sources are general consent on the hardware and overclocking groups (And
    one guy in particular who tests them). Apparently Enermax are what they
    consider in the 'not too bad' class of PSU and deliver around 80-95% of
    their rating. Older ones were better.

    I had a really good run with an old 250W Enermax and when I was going to buy
    a new PSU was told that the newer Enermax aren't as good as the older ones
    and that there are beter PSUs out there.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 25, 2004
  17. -[Myth]-

    GraB Guest

    >I had a really good run with an old 250W Enermax and when I was going to buy
    >a new PSU was told that the newer Enermax aren't as good as the older ones
    >and that there are beter PSUs out there.

    Are there? Give us a clue.
    GraB, May 25, 2004
  18. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    >> I had a really good run with an old 250W Enermax and when I was
    >> going to buy a new PSU was told that the newer Enermax aren't as
    >> good as the older ones and that there are beter PSUs out there.

    > Are there? Give us a clue.

    After much research, most of it very difficult, I decided on an AcBel 400W.
    AcBel are what are termed a "First Tier" manufacturer and, up until
    recently, have just supplied big companies, not the public. They have been
    in the PSU business for 20+ years making PSUs for Apple, IBM, Digital, yadda
    yadda yadda....

    They have recently become available in NZ stores and seem to be the best
    value for money at the moment. They aren't Aluminium, anodized, chromed,
    black, have LED fans or otherwise fancied up. Just a single-fan workhorse of
    a PSU with plenty of overhead, stable voltage and remarkably quiet too.

    If you Google "AcBel 400W" a surprisingly large amount of the hits are for
    NZ suppliers.

    http://www.acbel.com/

    This is the closest thing I could find to a review of it, I hope your German
    is good:

    http://www.caseumbau.de/index.php?page=test196/test196
    --
    ~misfit~