    upgrade the power supply for about $50, but this comp is old and who
    knows how much longer it will last. I would prefer to spend as little as
    possible under the circumstances. Suggestions?

    DT, May 6, 2004

  2. DT

    Hamman Guest

    "DT" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card

    no you dont. you have a 1.2GHz AMD tunderbird
    AthlonXP starter at either 1500+ or 1600+

    > (TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen in
    > a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago, and I
    > don't know how long I have before it stops functioning entirely. I have
    > tried a different monitor from another comp and a different cable, but
    > the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the card is dying. As this
    > is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to upgrade the card. The cards
    > I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or Radeon 9200s. All
    > require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked the specs on mine,
    > and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for recommendations on what
    > graphics cards are available that will run on this power supply. I was
    > thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one anywhere. Yes, I could
    > upgrade the power supply for about $50, but this comp is old and who
    > knows how much longer it will last. I would prefer to spend as little as
    > possible under the circumstances. Suggestions?

    Wattage on PSU isnt everything, if its quality supply then it will take more
    than a 500w el-generico one.

    Have a look for a 5600 or higher if you want to play games

    hamman

    Hamman, May 6, 2004

  3. DT wrote:

    > I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card
    > (TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen in
    > a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago, and I
    > don't know how long I have before it stops functioning entirely. I have
    > tried a different monitor from another comp and a different cable, but
    > the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the card is dying. As this
    > is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to upgrade the card. The cards
    > I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or Radeon 9200s. All
    > require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked the specs on mine,
    > and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for recommendations on what
    > graphics cards are available that will run on this power supply. I was
    > thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one anywhere. Yes, I could
    > upgrade the power supply for about $50, but this comp is old and who
    > knows how much longer it will last. I would prefer to spend as little as
    > possible under the circumstances. Suggestions?

    You could be right and it could be a flaky graphics adapter,
    with a developed/developing memory fault.

    I would want to try booting off a floppy with a video test
    program on it that took the card through all its graphics
    modes. Just in case it was a software problem.

    I would also put it in another machine - just to eliminate
    everything else.

    If it did turn out to be the adapter, I would probably look
    for something on Ebay of about the same sort of spec.
    Shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

    IMO HP makes decent kit and if the power supply is rated at
    185W, it will give that. Unlike some cheapo 250W supplies
    that may easily not give 185W. So, if the card is of similar
    spec to the original, it will probably work.

    That is, of course, provided it isn't the fitted power
    supply that is causing the problems. Hence the suggestion to
    try the card in another machine.

    Hope that helps.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 6, 2004
  4. DT

    DT Guest

    , Once upon a time in a land far away Hamman was alleged to have said:

    > "DT" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card

    > no you dont. you have a 1.2GHz AMD tunderbird
    > AthlonXP starter at either 1500+ or 1600+
    >

    >>(TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen in
    >>a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago, and I
    >>don't know how long I have before it stops functioning entirely. I have
    >>tried a different monitor from another comp and a different cable, but
    >>the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the card is dying. As this
    >>is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to upgrade the card. The cards
    >>I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or Radeon 9200s. All
    >>require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked the specs on mine,
    >>and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for recommendations on what
    >>graphics cards are available that will run on this power supply. I was
    >>thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one anywhere. Yes, I could
    >>upgrade the power supply for about $50, but this comp is old and who
    >>knows how much longer it will last. I would prefer to spend as little as
    >>possible under the circumstances. Suggestions?

    > Wattage on PSU isnt everything, if its quality supply then it will take more
    > than a 500w el-generico one.
    >
    > Have a look for a 5600 or higher if you want to play games
    >
    > hamman

    The comma between them denotes that I meant Windows XP ... thanks for
    the reply, though

    --
    RUDE BABIES & LITTLE PUSSY SPORTSWEAR

    Funny shirts for babies & their moms
    http://www.cafeshops.com/rudebabies

    DT, May 6, 2004
  5. DT

    DT Guest

    , Once upon a time in a land far away Palindr☻me was alleged to have said:

    > DT wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card
    >> (TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen
    >> in a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago,
    >> and I don't know how long I have before it stops functioning entirely.
    >> I have tried a different monitor from another comp and a different
    >> cable, but the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the card is
    >> dying. As this is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to upgrade
    >> the card. The cards I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or
    >> Radeon 9200s. All require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked
    >> the specs on mine, and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for
    >> recommendations on what graphics cards are available that will run on
    >> this power supply. I was thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one
    >> anywhere. Yes, I could upgrade the power supply for about $50, but
    >> this comp is old and who knows how much longer it will last. I would
    >> prefer to spend as little as possible under the circumstances.
    >> Suggestions?

    > You could be right and it could be a flaky graphics adapter, with a
    > developed/developing memory fault.
    >
    > I would want to try booting off a floppy with a video test program on it
    > that took the card through all its graphics modes. Just in case it was a
    > software problem.
    >
    > I would also put it in another machine - just to eliminate everything else.
    >
    > If it did turn out to be the adapter, I would probably look for
    > something on Ebay of about the same sort of spec. Shouldn't cost more
    > than a tenner.
    >
    > IMO HP makes decent kit and if the power supply is rated at 185W, it
    > will give that. Unlike some cheapo 250W supplies that may easily not
    > give 185W. So, if the card is of similar spec to the original, it will
    > probably work.
    >
    > That is, of course, provided it isn't the fitted power supply that is
    > causing the problems. Hence the suggestion to try the card in another
    > machine.
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Thanks, will give it a go.

    DT, May 6, 2004
  6. DT wrote:

    > , Once upon a time in a land far away Palindr☻me was alleged tohave said:
    >
    >> DT wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card
    >>> (TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen
    >>> in a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago,
    >>> and I don't know how long I have before it stops functioning
    >>> entirely. I have tried a different monitor from another comp and a
    >>> different cable, but the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the
    >>> card is dying. As this is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to
    >>> upgrade the card. The cards I can find locally are all either Geforce
    >>> 5200s or Radeon 9200s. All require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I
    >>> checked the specs on mine, and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am
    >>> looking for recommendations on what graphics cards are available that
    >>> will run on this power supply. I was thinking geforce mx440, but
    >>> can't find one anywhere. Yes, I could upgrade the power supply for
    >>> about $50, but this comp is old and who knows how much longer it will
    >>> last. I would prefer to spend as little as possible under the
    >>> circumstances. Suggestions?

    >> You could be right and it could be a flaky graphics adapter, with a
    >> developed/developing memory fault.
    >>
    >> I would want to try booting off a floppy with a video test program on
    >> it that took the card through all its graphics modes. Just in case it
    >> was a software problem.
    >>
    >> I would also put it in another machine - just to eliminate everything
    >> else.
    >>
    >> If it did turn out to be the adapter, I would probably look for
    >> something on Ebay of about the same sort of spec. Shouldn't cost more
    >> than a tenner.
    >>
    >> IMO HP makes decent kit and if the power supply is rated at 185W, it
    >> will give that. Unlike some cheapo 250W supplies that may easily not
    >> give 185W. So, if the card is of similar spec to the original, it will
    >> probably work.
    >>
    >> That is, of course, provided it isn't the fitted power supply that is
    >> causing the problems. Hence the suggestion to try the card in another
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps.

    > Thanks, will give it a go.

    Good luck! Happy to help.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 6, 2004
  7. DT wrote:

    > I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or Radeon 9200s. All
    > require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked the specs on mine,
    > and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for recommendations on what
    > graphics cards are available that will run on this power supply. I was
    > thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one anywhere. Yes, I could
    > upgrade the power supply for about $50, but this comp is old and who
    > knows how much longer it will last. I would prefer to spend as little as

    Is that an ATX box? If so, get a decent PS and you can eventually use
    it to replace the cheesy one in your next system.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2004
  8. DT

    DT Guest

    , Once upon a time in a land far away Palindr☻me was alleged to have said:
    > DT wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 3 year old comp Athlon 1200, XP. I believe the graphics card
    >> (TNT2 32MB) to be dying. Darker images make stripes across the screen
    >> in a sort of pretty pattern. This just started a coupl;e of days ago,
    >> and I don't know how long I have before it stops functioning entirely.
    >> I have tried a different monitor from another comp and a different
    >> cable, but the problem remains, thus my conclusion that the card is
    >> dying. As this is an old comp I don't want to spend alot to upgrade
    >> the card. The cards I can find locally are all either Geforce 5200s or
    >> Radeon 9200s. All require a minimum 250 watt power supply. I checked
    >> the specs on mine, and it is 185w (stock HP comp). I am looking for
    >> recommendations on what graphics cards are available that will run on
    >> this power supply. I was thinking geforce mx440, but can't find one
    >> anywhere. Yes, I could upgrade the power supply for about $50, but
    >> this comp is old and who knows how much longer it will last. I would
    >> prefer to spend as little as possible under the circumstances.
    >> Suggestions?

    > You could be right and it could be a flaky graphics adapter, with a
    > developed/developing memory fault.
    >
    > I would want to try booting off a floppy with a video test program on it
    > that took the card through all its graphics modes. Just in case it was a
    > software problem.
    >
    > I would also put it in another machine - just to eliminate everything else.
    >
    > If it did turn out to be the adapter, I would probably look for
    > something on Ebay of about the same sort of spec. Shouldn't cost more
    > than a tenner.
    >
    > IMO HP makes decent kit and if the power supply is rated at 185W, it
    > will give that. Unlike some cheapo 250W supplies that may easily not
    > give 185W. So, if the card is of similar spec to the original, it will
    > probably work.
    >
    > That is, of course, provided it isn't the fitted power supply that is
    > causing the problems. Hence the suggestion to try the card in another
    > machine.
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Thanks for the advice. I did swap the card to another machine, and got
    the same lines. Went ahead and bought a Radeon 9200 SE 128MB card I
    found locally on sale for $50. It recommends a 250w power supply, but so
    far is working fine. I guess if I have problems I can spring for a
    heftier PS.

    DT, May 6, 2004