    in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this person
    ? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is

    cheers

    Trog, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Trog

    Thor Guest

    Trog wrote:

    > Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily
    > faces
    > waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    > that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I
    > go in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this
    > person
    > ? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is
    >
    > cheers

    Yeah, couldn't agree more, not sure on Mozilla it's been a while since I
    used it for email, but thunderbird has a switch for smiley faces. Look
    in the viewing section, turn of any html formatting.

    Thor, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Thor wrote:
    > Yeah, couldn't agree more, not sure on Mozilla it's been a while since I
    > used it for email, but thunderbird has a switch for smiley faces. Look
    > in the viewing section, turn of any html formatting.

    edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").

    either that or disable loading of remote images...

    edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote images"

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Trog

    Peter Guest

    Trog wrote:
    > Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily faces
    > waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    > that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I go
    > in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this person
    > ? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is

    Yes - it's a good idea to turn off html email. As well as avoiding wasting
    bandwidth downloading advertising images, it also prevents spammers
    monitoring which email addresses are active. (At least it stops some means
    they use for this.)
    HTML email is also a good way to propagate viruses and other malware.

    Sorry, don't know the exact commands in Mozilla. I use kmail, which has a
    useful feature where it doesn't render html emails, but has a button I can
    click if I want to read it (ie it came from a bona fide sender).

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Peter wrote:
    >>Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily faces
    >>waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    >>that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I go
    >>in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this person
    >>? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is

    > Yes - it's a good idea to turn off html email.
    > Sorry, don't know the exact commands in Mozilla.

    ummm, I use it, and I can't see the setting either.
    I don't get any html messages that I don't already expect, but would
    still like to turn it off.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, couldn't agree more, not sure on Mozilla it's been a while since I
    >> used it for email, but thunderbird has a switch for smiley faces. Look
    >> in the viewing section, turn of any html formatting.

    > edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").
    >
    > either that or disable loading of remote images...
    >
    > edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote
    > images"

    Okay. tried that. got to message display. Cant find anything about
    turning off html. Got fixed width font etc. but what now ?

    cheers

    Trog, Feb 6, 2005
  7. Trog wrote:
    >> edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").
    >> either that or disable loading of remote images...
    >> edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote
    >> images"

    > Okay. tried that. got to message display. Cant find anything about
    > turning off html. Got fixed width font etc. but what now ?

    yeah sorry can't find it myself either... but either/both of the above
    should do it, unless the application attaches the image to the
    email(making it huge grrr).

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Trog

    Thor Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >>>Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily
    >>>faces
    >>>waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    >>>that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I
    >>>go in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this
    >>>person
    >>>? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is

    >> Yes - it's a good idea to turn off html email.
    >> Sorry, don't know the exact commands in Mozilla.

    > ummm, I use it, and I can't see the setting either.
    > I don't get any html messages that I don't already expect, but would
    > still like to turn it off.

    In 1.6 linux, found it on a disk and installed it :)
    Under prefs, email, message display, there is a tick box for display
    emoticons as graphics, that will answer the OP.

    Thor, Feb 6, 2005
  9. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, couldn't agree more, not sure on Mozilla it's been a while since I
    >> used it for email, but thunderbird has a switch for smiley faces. Look
    >> in the viewing section, turn of any html formatting.

    > edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").
    >
    > either that or disable loading of remote images...
    >
    > edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote
    > images"

    she's using incredimail. damn I hate that email client. Cant think of
    a bigger waste of bandwidth

    Trog, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Trog

    Thor Guest

    Trog wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Thor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah, couldn't agree more, not sure on Mozilla it's been a while
    >>> since I used it for email, but thunderbird has a switch for smiley
    >>> faces. Look in the viewing section, turn of any html formatting.

    >> edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").
    >>
    >> either that or disable loading of remote images...
    >>
    >> edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote
    >> images"
    >>

    > she's using incredimail. damn I hate that email client. Cant think of
    > a bigger waste of bandwidth

    Yeah and the people that use it think they are the only ones that have
    ever seen the flaming jokes they insist on forewarding out to everyone
    in their address book as well.

    Thor, Feb 6, 2005
  11. Thor wrote:
    > Yeah and the people that use it think they are the only ones that have
    > ever seen the flaming jokes they insist on forewarding out to everyone
    > in their address book as well.

    heh, I got that wife v1/mistress v2/drinking buddies v2.3 one the other
    day... I find it kinda humourous that it was the first joke I ever
    received in 1997, and it's still going around.

    there are no new jokes on the internet, just ones that you havent
    forwarded yet.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  12. Trog

    Jerry Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > Trog wrote:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>edit, preferences, message display(under "mail and newsgroups").
    >>>
    >>>either that or disable loading of remote images...
    >>>
    >>>edit, preferences, privacy and security, images, "do not load remote
    >>>images"
    >>>

    >>she's using incredimail. damn I hate that email client. Cant think of
    >>a bigger waste of bandwidth

    > Yeah and the people that use it think they are the only ones that have
    > ever seen the flaming jokes they insist on forewarding out to everyone
    > in their address book as well.

    One thing I've noticed, any computer I've seen that uses incredi-mail or
    has cute animated cursors (insects or whatever) has a computer filled
    with spyware. It it's free, the click on the "I want some of that" button

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 6, 2005
  13. Trog

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Trog wrote:
    > Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily faces
    > waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    > that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I go
    > in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this person
    > ? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is
    >
    > cheers

    For Thunderbird there is an extension called "buttons" that allows to to
    toggle HTML in the way that Peter describes regarding Kmail.

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 6, 2005
  14. In article <>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Trog wrote:
    >> Using mozilla. I got a friend that sends all this crap with smily faces
    >> waving at you on pretty colourd paper. very fancy, but Im an old git
    >> that likes to see text and all the other crap turned off. Where do I go
    >> in mozilla to turn the shit off and just get plain text from this person
    >> ? shes got some snazy email program of other. bloody annoying it is

    >Yes - it's a good idea to turn off html email. As well as avoiding wasting
    >bandwidth downloading advertising images, it also prevents spammers
    >monitoring which email addresses are active. (At least it stops some means
    >they use for this.)
    >HTML email is also a good way to propagate viruses and other malware.
    >
    >Sorry, don't know the exact commands in Mozilla. I use kmail, which has a
    >useful feature where it doesn't render html emails, but has a button I can
    >click if I want to read it (ie it came from a bona fide sender).

    Agreed. Very handy feature.
    The other useful thing to do is to tell the people sending it to you that
    you don't want it like that. Hey ... they might even get the hint :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 7, 2005