    X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
    getting any IP address from the DHCP.

    Liam
    Telephoneman, May 18, 2006

  2. Telephoneman

    Doz Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:07 +0100, Telephoneman wrote:

    > I had to move my ADSL wireless router/modem to the master socket in another
    > room to get a decent throughput. I'm now left with a Grandstream budge tone
    > 100 sitting on my desk not connected to anything. My PC has a wireless card
    > and I was wondering if I could connect the phone via my PC using the
    > Ethernet socket. I have a UT-Starcomm wi-fi phone that I use for most calls
    > so it doesn't matter if the GS goes off with the PC (it's normally left on
    > anyway).
    >
    > Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
    > X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
    > getting any IP address from the DHCP.
    >
    > Liam

    You could try ICS in windows.. or even bridge the 2 network devices to create
    one logical network.. that may work.
    Doz, May 18, 2006

  3. Telephoneman

    PhilT Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:

    > Is this possible/straightforward? I just wondered as this is how my son's
    > X-box live set-up works. I've plugged the phone into the PC but it's not
    > getting any IP address from the DHCP.

    use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
    via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
    cable or via a hub / switch.

    Phil
    PhilT, May 18, 2006
  4. Telephoneman

    Chris Davies Guest

    PhilT <> wrote:
    > use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
    > via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
    > cable or via a hub / switch.

    It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
    software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, May 18, 2006
  5. Telephoneman

    PhilT Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > PhilT <> wrote:
    > > use Internet Connection sharing to share the wireless card connection
    > > via the Ethernet socket. Plug the ATA into the PC using a crossover
    > > cable or via a hub / switch.

    > It's usually not possible to bridge with a wireless card unless your
    > software/firmware supports Access Point type operation.

    good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it :)

    The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
    to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

    Phil
    PhilT, May 19, 2006
  6. Telephoneman

    Chris Davies Guest

    PhilT <> wrote:
    > good job I wasn't suggesting that then, isn't it :)

    > The idea was to use ICS on the PC with the wireless internet connection
    > to provide a wired ethernet socket for the ATA. This works.

    Yes of course. I was trying to follow-up the previous poster, who had
    suggested ICS. Finger trouble and lack of reading. Doh!

    Chris
    Chris Davies, May 19, 2006
  7. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    Thanks for the help Guys. I got it working using ICS. I didn't have a
    crossover so I used 2 long patch cords and a little switch I had laying
    around. At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
    out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

    Cheers,

    Liam

    Telephoneman, May 19, 2006
  8. Telephoneman

    alexd Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:

    > At first the PC was showing "a cable is unplugged", then I worked
    > out I had both ends of the same cable plugged in the switch! LOL.

    BTDTGTTS!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK