Grandstream phone dead - help me please

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by vopa, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. vopa

    vopa Guest

    Hello,

    I'm using iconnecthere, I have a router netgear DG834G 54mbit
    and a DSL line.

    I had 2 grandstream connected to the router plus a Zyxel wifi 2000,

    I had registered the 2 grandstream and were working fine.

    Today, some hours ago, I see that the display of the sip phones
    become blue and if I I touched the menu or numbers of the keyboard
    nothing can be changed, I cannot place a call etc etc..

    so I think .. reboot all, I go to digit the IPs and nothing.. so I decide
    to reboot the router, when I did it, I see that the display of the 2
    grandestram
    become blue without any text displayed.

    I cannot do nothing, seem dead all, I can see something that is flashing in
    red
    under the keyboard, as if the phone is out of service or have some proplem
    I don't know why.

    I cannot reach the IP of the phones, while the router yes and seem ok.

    I'm europe and the sip provider is in new york.

    Then, if can help, in the same moment stopeed to work my VPN that
    is done with Usa always.

    Can be something due network problems with Usa from Europe?

    Can I do something, just wait or the grandstream are gone bad?
    I had it since 2 days only!! are new .. I really don't know what to do,

    help me thanks!!!
    vopa, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Grandstream are killed if they are downloading new software (maybe
    automatically if configured to do so) AND the connection is stopped
    duing the update.

    I have a killed one myself :(
    No switches inside to reset to factory setting.
    I just had to waste some more money on a new device (another company
    this time!)

    > Grandstream phone dead - help me please

    Sorry, not much help from my part then

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://VoIP.Fihl.net/
    Christen Fihl, Jan 7, 2005

  3. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > Grandstream are killed if they are downloading new software (maybe
    > automatically if configured to do so) AND the connection is stopped
    > duing the update.

    is incredible what I read!

    However just right now I have the VPN again up, the problem is that
    the grand stream don't react, I will try to connect to the ip and reboot...
    but if I read what you read.. I need to think to start to kry,

    I update you soon
    vopa, Jan 7, 2005
  4. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > Grandstream are killed if they are downloading new software (maybe
    > automatically if configured to do so) AND the connection is stopped
    > duing the update.
    >
    > I have a killed one myself :(
    > No switches inside to reset to factory setting.
    > I just had to waste some more money on a new device (another company
    > this time!)
    >
    >> Grandstream phone dead - help me please

    > Sorry, not much help from my part then

    nothing... the display is blue... and dead ...

    I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY DOWNLOAD ... and you say that we have
    not warranty, good to know, I hope soon to have a better phone to choose
    becouse this is a big delution.
    vopa, Jan 7, 2005
  5. The manual say something like (out of my head):
    "do not interrupt the firmware update as ...."

    Maybe a warranty claim can be issued, I did not try to use it.

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://VoIP.Fihl.net/
    Christen Fihl, Jan 7, 2005
  6. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > The manual say something like (out of my head):
    > "do not interrupt the firmware update as ...."
    >
    > Maybe a warranty claim can be issued, I did not try to use it.

    in may pack there was not the manual, and however I never seen
    the download, I just seen the phone highlight with a blue and stop,
    then was not possible to click or move something in the menu', buttons
    etc.. very strange

    however, now I'm buying 2 new phones, where to keep updated
    the phone with the latest firmware and how to say to do not update
    automatically, and I repeat, I haven't seen this today, and he is dead
    in a strange way.
    vopa, Jan 7, 2005
  7. You can disable the update function by not having a "TFTP address" ie
    set it to 0.0.0.0
    That is if you can get into the updatepage of the phone by browsing to
    its IP address and having the password for it.

    You can then update a few times a year (put in the TFTP address), if you
    think you would gain anything doing this.

    My dead phone reacts exactly as yours. Sounds as dead as mine.

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://VoIP.Fihl.net/
    Christen Fihl, Jan 7, 2005
  8. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > You can disable the update function by not having a "TFTP address" ie
    > set it to 0.0.0.0
    > That is if you can get into the updatepage of the phone by browsing to
    > its IP address and having the password for it.
    >
    > You can then update a few times a year (put in the TFTP address), if you
    > think you would gain anything doing this.
    >
    > My dead phone reacts exactly as yours. Sounds as dead as mine.

    ok, where can I find the manual of grandstream?
    and, if I put then the IP address, in ho may seconds decide the phone to
    make
    the upgrade? I still don't understand, becouse, I used the phone 2 days...
    and today happened all this.

    bye and thanks
    vopa, Jan 7, 2005
  9. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > You can disable the update function by not having a "TFTP address" ie
    > set it to 0.0.0.0
    > That is if you can get into the updatepage of the phone by browsing to
    > its IP address and having the password for it.
    >
    > You can then update a few times a year (put in the TFTP address), if you
    > think you would gain anything doing this.
    >
    > My dead phone reacts exactly as yours. Sounds as dead as mine.
    >
    > --
    > Christen Fihl
    > http://VoIP.Fihl.net/

    in the manual I have found in the website is not clear in how many seconds
    this update will start automatically.

    That's all, have you got an idea how to do a safe upgrade?
    and where to read the upgrade benefits?
    the ring tones with the ring tone tools are interesting, how many ring tone
    have the grandstream becouse I had the time to use only the default ring...

    thanks
    vopa, Jan 8, 2005
  10. Grandstream will always check its TFTP server to look for new updates.
    Only way to disable is to remove TFTP address.
    Safe update is best to do on a local network with own TFTP server, to
    make interruptions minimal, or else :(

    My VoIP supplier had there own TFTP server, and toll users which version
    had which features. You still had to accept latest version or disable
    the feature.
    Grandstream has a firmware page on
    http://www.grandstream.com/y-downloads.htm

    Manual: http://www.grandstream.com/user_manuals/HandyTone.pdf see page
    25 on TFTP updates for this:

    --
    Christen Fihl
    http://VoIP.Fihl.net/
    Christen Fihl, Jan 8, 2005
  11. Christen Fihl, Jan 9, 2005
  12. "Christen Fihl" <> wrote in message
    > Very simple logic used
    >
    > If TFTP server found, and a better version found on server, then
    > download and install.
    >
    > No delays, no trigger, nothing else

    Sorry for butting in but you seem to be missing the
    question, how often does the phone look for the server?

    George Dishman, Jan 9, 2005
  13. vopa

    Ivor Jones Guest

    George Dishman wrote:
    > "Christen Fihl" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Very simple logic used
    >>
    >> If TFTP server found, and a better version found on server, then
    >> download and install.
    >>
    >> No delays, no trigger, nothing else

    > Sorry for butting in but you seem to be missing the
    > question, how often does the phone look for the server?

    If it's the same as my Grandstream ATA-486 adaptor, it checks the TFTP
    server *only* on power-up. So you would need to cycle the power, if it
    finds a new edition of the firmware it will download and install it.

    > "vopa" <> wrote in message
    >> And still I don't understand: ... when the phone will decide
    >> to download the firmware ... after 24 hours? or what?

    See above.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 9, 2005
  14. vopa

    vopa Guest

    "Christen Fihl" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > Grandstream will always check its TFTP server to look for new updates.
    > Only way to disable is to remove TFTP address.
    > Safe update is best to do on a local network with own TFTP server, to
    > make interruptions minimal, or else :(
    >
    > My VoIP supplier had there own TFTP server, and toll users which version
    > had which features. You still had to accept latest version or disable
    > the feature.
    > Grandstream has a firmware page on
    > http://www.grandstream.com/y-downloads.htm

    If I delete the ip server for the TFTP of Iconnecthere.com and then I
    download
    the firmware in that page, can I simply upload it from the configuration web
    page?
    Is it possible or I should do it via tftp adding the IP server?

    And still I don't understand: if I add the Ip server where tftp when the
    phone
    will decide to download the firmware becouse this is not clear to me, if
    there
    is any command for initiate it, it when decide to do? after 24 hours? or
    what?

    thank you
    vopa, Jan 9, 2005