Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ron Barnett, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Ron Barnett

    Ron Barnett Guest

    Hello All,

    I mailed the group a few days ago about problems with Comwave - and got a
    zero response so maybe no-one has used them. - They are a Canadian supplier
    after all.

    The hardware I'm trying to get going is a Grandstream Handy Tone-495 and
    these do seem to be useable on any SIP system.

    The problem seems to be rooted in the box's ability (or lack of) to access a
    STUN server.
    The box does not detect its NAT position properly and mis-identifies itself
    as being on an open internet connection. I have fooled that putting the box
    in a DMZ which was enough to get it to reload it's firmware from Comwave and
    I can now place calls, but not receive them !
    The box now behaves the same (call out is OK but no receive) either in a
    normal NAT location or in a DMZ

    Anyone seen this type of problem before - any thoughts, solutions ?

    TIA,

    Ron Barnett
    IT Support for Business
    www.rjbarnett.co.uk

    For labellers and labelling supplies visit www.labelzrus.co.uk
    Ron Barnett, Oct 27, 2006

  2. Ron Barnett

    Ron Barnett Guest

    Re: Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts? - Fixed

    "Ron Barnett" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I mailed the group a few days ago about problems with Comwave - and got a
    > zero response so maybe no-one has used them. - They are a Canadian
    > supplier after all.
    >
    > The hardware I'm trying to get going is a Grandstream Handy Tone-495 and
    > these do seem to be useable on any SIP system.
    >
    > The problem seems to be rooted in the box's ability (or lack of) to access
    > a STUN server.
    > The box does not detect its NAT position properly and mis-identifies
    > itself as being on an open internet connection. I have fooled that
    > putting the box in a DMZ which was enough to get it to reload it's
    > firmware from Comwave and I can now place calls, but not receive them !
    > The box now behaves the same (call out is OK but no receive) either in a
    > normal NAT location or in a DMZ
    >
    > Anyone seen this type of problem before - any thoughts, solutions ?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ron Barnett
    > IT Support for Business
    > www.rjbarnett.co.uk

    > For labellers and labelling supplies visit www.labelzrus.co.uk

    And then I discovered that is works much better if you actually use the
    right phone number to call the box.

    All OK now

    Ron
    Ron Barnett, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Ron Barnett

    JJ Guest

    I recently moved from YAK VOIP to comwave because YAK new owner (poor
    him) decided to abandan their VOIP service by end of 2006. I had been
    using YAK for 2+ years I am very satisfied with their service and
    pirce, many friends of mine are YAK customers as well.

    The phone adapter (LINKSYS PAP2-NA) I received from YAK could not work
    with comwave (no receiving, dial out only), althought I previously was
    told that it would be fine for Comwave service Tech guy from comwave
    worked with me (another tech guy) for more than 4 hours in remote
    control session and did not find a solution. So they decided to send me
    another iphone adapter (50$ + 12$ shipping).

    Two days later I called home from my office as attempt, it suprised me
    that call receiving was working well. (I did not make any
    changes/reboot). So I called comwave to stop sending me the new iphone
    adapter. But I am not sure this will last forever or just by accident.

    JJ, Dec 21, 2006