Grandstream HT 486

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Nigel, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    Hi,

    Just got one of these but are having a few problems:-

    1. I have the box connected to my cable modem and then the box is connected
    to a wireless router. About every 10mins I keep losing the wireless
    connection. Before the Grandstream never had a problem and never lost a
    connection. Is there something I need to adjust in the Grandstream??
    Unfortunately my wireless router has only one land sockets so the adaptor
    has to go before the router.

    2. I have 2 phones both DECT but I am only able to dial out with one!!!. The
    one I can't dial out with will allow me to get to the speaking menu of the
    Grandstream and I can dial up the various menus !! so I know the box is
    recognising the numbers. Any ideas

    thanks

    Nigel
    --

    Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
    www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk
    Nigel, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Nigel

    Herman Guest

    --

    "Nigel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got one of these but are having a few problems:-
    >
    > 1. I have the box connected to my cable modem and then the box is
    > connected to a wireless router. About every 10mins I keep losing the
    > wireless connection. Before the Grandstream never had a problem and never
    > lost a connection. Is there something I need to adjust in the
    > Grandstream?? Unfortunately my wireless router has only one land sockets
    > so the adaptor has to go before the router.

    If it is indeed the wireless connection that is dropping, this must have
    something to do with where the router is sited or the wireless configuration
    (channel etc.) What else have you changed since the WLAN worked OK?

    If the connection between your router and the 486 is dropping, then it could
    help if you disable router functions in the 486. As it is positioned before
    your router, you would probably need to enable the bridging function,
    although there are a number of problems associated with this, the key one
    being how you access the 486 as I think bridging will leave the unit without
    an IP address. You could try putting the 486 the other side of the router
    and disabling routing functions (NAT and probably also DHCP), although call
    quality may suffer, particularly if your router is not QoS.

    My general view on the 486 is that it is not particularly robust, but can
    work OK if you play around with it - i.e.OK as a first VoIP box. If you
    have the opportunity of taking it out of the main routing and using a
    different router/firewall, then this tends to work better.

    > 2. I have 2 phones both DECT but I am only able to dial out with one!!!.
    > The one I can't dial out with will allow me to get to the speaking menu of
    > the
    > Grandstream and I can dial up the various menus !! so I know the box is
    > recognising the numbers. Any ideas

    Have you tested the phone on a PSTN line (i.e. is it just a problem with
    VoIP?) If it does, it could be the DTMF sending method. IIRC there is a
    box in the configuration to switch between methods of sending DTMF, although
    I thought this only affected DTMF sending after the number had been dialled.
    Herman, Mar 3, 2007