Grandstream Budge Tone T-102

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gareth Evans, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Gareth Evans

    Gareth Evans Guest

    I'm currently using my Grandstream Budge Tone T-102 on my ADSL connection
    with a NAT enabled router. My phone is allocated an IP via DHCP. The phone
    appears to work without forwarding any ports.

    On the sipgate website it says:

    "Important: You should place your BT-101 into the demilitarised zone (DMZ)
    of your router, and forward the following ports to the IP address of your
    phone:

    Port 5004 UDP
    Port 5060 UDP
    Port 8000 - 8012 UDP
    Port 10000 STUN
    Port 3478 UDP & TCP"

    Is there need for me to do this? Isn't this for static IP's only or without
    NAT?

    The one problem I do have, is that when people call my phone number
    (geographic number) it sometimes doesn't get through. Usually if i restart
    the device it works, but this isn't particulary helpful!!! I can always dial
    out ok, and on sipgate.co.uk it always seems to show my device as being
    online.

    Would be happy if someone could help me out here.

    Thanks in advance.
    Gareth

    Gareth Evans, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Gareth Evans wrote:
    > I'm currently using my Grandstream Budge Tone T-102 on my ADSL connection
    > with a NAT enabled router. My phone is allocated an IP via DHCP. The phone
    > appears to work without forwarding any ports.
    >
    > On the sipgate website it says:
    >
    > "Important: You should place your BT-101 into the demilitarised zone (DMZ)
    > of your router, and forward the following ports to the IP address of your
    > phone:
    >
    > Port 5004 UDP
    > Port 5060 UDP
    > Port 8000 - 8012 UDP
    > Port 10000 STUN
    > Port 3478 UDP & TCP"
    >
    > Is there need for me to do this? Isn't this for static IP's only or without
    > NAT?
    >
    > The one problem I do have, is that when people call my phone number
    > (geographic number) it sometimes doesn't get through. Usually if i restart
    > the device it works, but this isn't particulary helpful!!! I can always dial
    > out ok, and on sipgate.co.uk it always seems to show my device as being
    > online.
    >
    > Would be happy if someone could help me out here.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Gareth

    You need to *either* forward the relevant ports that you listed *or* put
    the device in the DMZ. (All the DMZ does is forward all of the ports.)

    The reason that incoming calls don't always get through is because the
    router doesn't know where to send the data that it recieves on those
    ports. When the adapter makes an outgoing connection, the router will
    remember that connection and send incoming data to the same place, which
    is why it works straight after a reset.

    An alternative to forwarding ports is to use STUN which basically makes
    an outgoing connection and keeps it open by sending data through it
    continuously so that the router knows where to send incoming data. This
    can also work if you just make the adapter check in often enough,
    although that will put more load on the servers than necessary.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Gareth Evans

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gareth Evans" <> wrote in message
    > I'm currently using my Grandstream Budge Tone T-102 on my
    > ADSL connection with a NAT enabled router. My phone is
    > allocated an IP via DHCP. The phone appears to work
    > without forwarding any ports.
    > On the sipgate website it says:
    >
    > "Important: You should place your BT-101 into the
    > demilitarised zone (DMZ) of your router, and forward the
    > following ports to the IP address of your phone:
    >
    > Port 5004 UDP
    > Port 5060 UDP
    > Port 8000 - 8012 UDP
    > Port 10000 STUN
    > Port 3478 UDP & TCP"
    >
    > Is there need for me to do this? Isn't this for static
    > IP's only or without NAT?

    It depends on what type of NAT you have. It certainly won't hurt to add
    the phone to your router DMZ. I had erratic performance on my Sipura 2000
    until I did this.

    > The one problem I do have, is that when people call my
    > phone number (geographic number) it sometimes doesn't get
    > through. Usually if i restart the device it works, but
    > this isn't particulary helpful!!! I can always dial out
    > ok, and on sipgate.co.uk it always seems to show my
    > device as being online.

    The online indicator on the website will only update when your device is
    de-registered, the interval of which is set in the configuration.

    > Would be happy if someone could help me out here.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Gareth

    Try adding the phone to your DMZ and see if that helps.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Gareth Evans

    Gareth Evans Guest

    "Steven Sumpter" <> wrote in message
    > Gareth Evans wrote:
    >> I'm currently using my Grandstream Budge Tone T-102 on my ADSL connection
    >> with a NAT enabled router. My phone is allocated an IP via DHCP. The
    >> phone appears to work without forwarding any ports.
    >>
    >> On the sipgate website it says:
    >>
    >> "Important: You should place your BT-101 into the demilitarised zone
    >> (DMZ) of your router, and forward the following ports to the IP address
    >> of your phone:
    >>
    >> Port 5004 UDP
    >> Port 5060 UDP
    >> Port 8000 - 8012 UDP
    >> Port 10000 STUN
    >> Port 3478 UDP & TCP"
    >>
    >> Is there need for me to do this? Isn't this for static IP's only or
    >> without NAT?
    >>
    >> The one problem I do have, is that when people call my phone number
    >> (geographic number) it sometimes doesn't get through. Usually if i
    >> restart the device it works, but this isn't particulary helpful!!! I can
    >> always dial out ok, and on sipgate.co.uk it always seems to show my
    >> device as being online.
    >>
    >> Would be happy if someone could help me out here.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >> Gareth
    >>

    > You need to *either* forward the relevant ports that you listed *or* put
    > the device in the DMZ. (All the DMZ does is forward all of the ports.)
    >
    > The reason that incoming calls don't always get through is because the
    > router doesn't know where to send the data that it recieves on those
    > ports. When the adapter makes an outgoing connection, the router will
    > remember that connection and send incoming data to the same place, which
    > is why it works straight after a reset.
    >
    > An alternative to forwarding ports is to use STUN which basically makes an
    > outgoing connection and keeps it open by sending data through it
    > continuously so that the router knows where to send incoming data. This
    > can also work if you just make the adapter check in often enough, although
    > that will put more load on the servers than necessary.
    >
    > Steve.

    Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't have any ports fowarded but I did have
    STUN enabled (stun.sipgate.net:10000) with a keep-alive interval of 20
    seconds.

    In this situation, if the internet connection went down for 5 mins or so,
    and a new IP was assigned to my connection, should the device make it's
    location known and future calls to it should succeed? It does not appear to
    do this. Failing that should I disable STUN and forward all the relevant
    ports?

    Gareth

    Gareth Evans, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Gareth Evans

    Gareth Evans Guest

    Port 10000 STUN

    Do I forward that as TCP or UDP?

    Gareth

    Gareth Evans, Aug 22, 2005
  6. Gareth Evans wrote:

    > Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't have any ports fowarded but I did have
    > STUN enabled (stun.sipgate.net:10000) with a keep-alive interval of 20
    > seconds.
    >
    > In this situation, if the internet connection went down for 5 mins or so,
    > and a new IP was assigned to my connection, should the device make it's
    > location known and future calls to it should succeed? It does not appear to
    > do this.

    I suspect that if the IP address changes then the adapter won't work
    until it logs in again, which is a different operation than stun so in
    this case stun will not help. You could try setting it to login more
    often - on my handytone 486 I think the relevant setting is "Register
    Expiration" which sipgate sets at 60 minutes. Maybe a setting of 5 or
    10 would be better for you.

    > Failing that should I disable STUN and forward all the relevant
    > ports?

    Forwarding all the ports isn't necessary if stun is working but it's
    worth a try if other changes don't work. You can quickly check if it
    will work by using the DMZ. If the DMZ makes a difference, then you may
    want to switch to forwarding only the relevant ports for better security.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Aug 22, 2005
  7. Gareth Evans wrote:
    > Port 10000 STUN
    >
    > Do I forward that as TCP or UDP?

    I don't know, but setting both won't do any harm.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Aug 22, 2005
  8. Gareth Evans

    > Gareth Evans wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't have any ports fowarded but I did
    >> have STUN enabled (stun.sipgate.net:10000) with a keep-alive interval of
    >> 20 seconds.
    >>
    >> In this situation, if the internet connection went down for 5 mins or so,
    >> and a new IP was assigned to my connection, should the device make it's
    >> location known and future calls to it should succeed? It does not appear
    >> to do this.

    > I suspect that if the IP address changes then the adapter won't work until
    > it logs in again, which is a different operation than stun so in this case
    > stun will not help. You could try setting it to login more often - on my
    > handytone 486 I think the relevant setting is "Register Expiration" which
    > sipgate sets at 60 minutes. Maybe a setting of 5 or 10 would be better
    > for you.
    >
    >> Failing that should I disable STUN and forward all the relevant ports?

    > Forwarding all the ports isn't necessary if stun is working but it's worth
    > a try if other changes don't work. You can quickly check if it will work
    > by using the DMZ. If the DMZ makes a difference, then you may want to
    > switch to forwarding only the relevant ports for better security.
    >
    > Steve.

    Thanks for your help, I will set my Register Expiration to 10 mins. I'm
    still a little confused over NAT Traversal and STUN. If all the relevant
    ports are fowarded to the device from the router can / or should NAT
    Traversal be switched off?

    Sorry to ask so many questions.

    Gareth

    Gareth Evans, Aug 22, 2005
  9. Gareth Evans

    Media1 Guest

    > "Steven Sumpter" <> wrote in message
    >> Gareth Evans wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't have any ports fowarded but I did
    >>> have STUN enabled (stun.sipgate.net:10000) with a keep-alive interval of
    >>> 20 seconds.
    >>>
    >>> In this situation, if the internet connection went down for 5 mins or
    >>> so, and a new IP was assigned to my connection, should the device make
    >>> it's location known and future calls to it should succeed? It does not
    >>> appear to do this.

    >> I suspect that if the IP address changes then the adapter won't work
    >> until it logs in again, which is a different operation than stun so in
    >> this case stun will not help. You could try setting it to login more
    >> often - on my handytone 486 I think the relevant setting is "Register
    >> Expiration" which sipgate sets at 60 minutes. Maybe a setting of 5 or 10
    >> would be better for you.
    >>
    >>> Failing that should I disable STUN and forward all the relevant ports?

    >> Forwarding all the ports isn't necessary if stun is working but it's
    >> worth a try if other changes don't work. You can quickly check if it
    >> will work by using the DMZ. If the DMZ makes a difference, then you may
    >> want to switch to forwarding only the relevant ports for better security.
    >>
    >> Steve.

    > Thanks for your help, I will set my Register Expiration to 10 mins. I'm
    > still a little confused over NAT Traversal and STUN. If all the relevant
    > ports are fowarded to the device from the router can / or should NAT
    > Traversal be switched off?
    >
    > Sorry to ask so many questions.
    >
    > Gareth

    i know who could do with a good stunning on here bwaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Media1, Aug 22, 2005
  10. Gareth Evans wrote:
    > Thanks for your help, I will set my Register Expiration to 10 mins. I'm
    > still a little confused over NAT Traversal and STUN. If all the relevant
    > ports are fowarded to the device from the router can / or should NAT
    > Traversal be switched off?

    If you have all the ports forwarded then stun is redundant but it won't
    do any harm apart from using a few extra bytes of your broadband allowance.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Aug 22, 2005
  11. Gareth Evans

    Ian Guest

    > Gareth Evans wrote:
    > > Port 10000 STUN
    > >
    > > Do I forward that as TCP or UDP?

    > I don't know, but setting both won't do any harm.
    >
    > Steve.

    Its the UDP ports
    But as said does no harm to forward both, at the moment

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 22, 2005