    *Very* unusual this as Gradwell are normally extremely reliable.

    Anyone else having problems..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Andy Burns <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : Ivor Jones wrote:
    :
    : > Just arrived home from work to find my Gradwell number not
    : > registering and all the website addresses I've tried are
    : > unreachable.
    :
    : http://www.gradwellstatus.com/

    Works but doesn't give an answer to my question.
    https://voip.gradwell.net/login/va_status is down.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 21, 2008

  3. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Andy Burns <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : Ivor Jones wrote:
    :
    : > Andy Burns wrote:
    : >
    : >> http://www.gradwellstatus.com/
    : >
    : > Works but doesn't give an answer to my question.
    :
    : Either of these entries relevant?
    :
    : Orange customers cannot reach Gradwell services

    Ah, that wasn't there when I looked ;-)

    It seems to be that, but I can't get Orange to understand that there is a
    problem. The 5p/min "technical support" in India refuses to accept what I
    am saying, claiming they can't reach the Gradwell website (!) and keep
    asking me what router I am using etc. I told them the problem is their end
    not mine, but no joy, in the end I put the phone down on the fool.

    Before anyone tells me to change my ISP, well maybe I should but it isn't
    going to solve the immediate problem immediately, is it..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:16:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Before anyone tells me to change my ISP, well maybe I should but it isn't
    >going to solve the immediate problem immediately, is it..?!

    Only kids and trouble are got by being in a hurry Ivor ! .

    , Nov 22, 2008
  5. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : Does changing DNS servers help any?
    :
    : As a test, try using OpenDNS's servers at 208.67.222.222 &
    : 208.67.220.220

    No facility to do that on the Fritz!Box unfortunately :-(

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2008
  6. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : Ivor Jones used his keyboard to write :
    : > In news:,
    : > Jono <> typed, for some strange,
    : > unexplained reason:
    : >
    : > [snip]
    : >
    : >> Does changing DNS servers help any?
    : >>
    : >> As a test, try using OpenDNS's servers at 208.67.222.222 &
    : >> 208.67.220.220
    : >
    : > No facility to do that on the Fritz!Box unfortunately :-(
    :
    :
    : Erm, you'd do it in the router....

    Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...

    http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2008
  7. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : >> Erm, you'd do it in the router....
    : >
    : > Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...
    : >
    : > http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html
    :
    : Oh, I thought you had the ATA version.
    :
    : I am amazed there is nowhere in the config to change the DNS server
    : addresses.

    Not that I can see, no :-(

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2008
  8. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Ivor Jones <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In news:,
    : Jono <> typed, for some strange,
    : unexplained reason:
    :
    : [snip]
    :
    : : >> Erm, you'd do it in the router....
    : : >
    : : > Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...
    : : >
    : : > http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html
    : :
    : : Oh, I thought you had the ATA version.
    : :
    : : I am amazed there is nowhere in the config to change the DNS server
    : : addresses.
    :
    : Not that I can see, no :-(
    :
    : Ivor

    Update: I've just programmed up an old Sipura SPA-2000 with the Gradwell
    settings, using the OpenDNS IP addresses you gave me and still no joy.

    It seems to be only customers of Orange that are affected; I can access
    www.gradwell.com from work but not from home, I can't try an ATA there as
    the company firewall blocks the ports.

    I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
    problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router are you
    using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that the problem
    lies within Orange and not them or their number suppliers so I am now at a
    loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service I am not receiving but it seems
    it isn't their fault. What's the next step..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  9. In article <>,

    Can you ping/traceroute to 195.74.61.163 (the IP of www.gradwell.com)

    >It seems to be only customers of Orange that are affected; I can access
    >www.gradwell.com from work but not from home, I can't try an ATA there as
    >the company firewall blocks the ports.
    >
    >I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
    >problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router are you
    >using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that the problem
    >lies within Orange and not them or their number suppliers so I am now at a
    >loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service I am not receiving but it seems
    >it isn't their fault. What's the next step..?

    Trust Gradwell. They're highly likely to be right in this instance
    and they are unable to control parts of the Internet they don't own.

    Your next step is to ask Orange for a MAC and move to an ISP that
    cares. Of-coruse you'll have to pay a little more, but it'll be worth
    it. Pick one with a UK call centre.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 23, 2008
  10. Ivor Jones

    : Ivor Jones wrote:
    :
    : > I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
    : > problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router
    : > are you using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that
    : > the problem lies within Orange and not them or their number
    : > suppliers so I am now at a loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service
    : > I am not receiving but it seems it isn't their fault. What's the
    : > next step..?
    :
    : Are you also unable to access www.digitalspy.co.uk? They too are
    : reporting orange specific connection problems.

    No, can't get that either. Strange thing is I can ping all the sites fine,
    but can't connect and SIP isn't registering.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  11. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:ggb52u$2aqu$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In article <>,
    : Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    : >In news:,
    : >Ivor Jones <> typed, for some strange,
    : >unexplained reason:
    : >: In news:,
    : >: Jono <> typed, for some strange,
    : >: unexplained reason:
    : >:
    : >: [snip]
    : >:
    : >: : >> Erm, you'd do it in the router....
    : >: : >
    : >: : > Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...
    : >: : >
    : >: : >
    http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html
    : >: :
    : >: : Oh, I thought you had the ATA version.
    : >: :
    : >: : I am amazed there is nowhere in the config to change the DNS
    : >: : server addresses.
    : >:
    : >: Not that I can see, no :-(
    : >:
    : >: Ivor
    : >
    : >Update: I've just programmed up an old Sipura SPA-2000 with the
    : >Gradwell settings, using the OpenDNS IP addresses you gave me and
    : >still no joy.
    :
    : Can you ping/traceroute to 195.74.61.163 (the IP of www.gradwell.com)

    Yes and no. From the command prompt (WinXP Pro) it times out, but from the
    utility within Firefox yes:

    Pinging www.gradwell.com

    www.gradwell.com CNAME gradwell.com.www.gradwell.com
    gradwell.com.www.gradwell.com A 195.74.61.163 PING
    gradwell.com.www.gradwell.com (195.74.61.163) 56(84) bytes of data.

    --- gradwell.com.www.gradwell.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
    : >It seems to be only customers of Orange that are affected; I can:
    >access www.gradwell.com from work but not from home, I can't try an: >ATA

    there as the company firewall blocks the ports.: >: >I have tried in vain
    to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a: >problem exists, they seem
    unable to deviate from the "what router: >are you using, is it a
    Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that: >the problem lies within
    Orange and not them or their number: >suppliers so I am now at a loss. I
    am paying Gradwell for a service: >I am not receiving but it seems it
    isn't their fault. What's the: >next step..? : : Trust Gradwell. They're
    highly likely to be right in this instance: and they are unable to control
    parts of the Internet they don't own.Indeed, and my instincts are the same
    as yours.: Your next step is to ask Orange for a MAC and move to an ISP
    that: cares. Of-coruse you'll have to pay a little more, but it'll be
    worth: it. Pick one with a UK call centre.: : GordonMaybe you're right and
    I probably will at some stage, but it unfortunately doesn't solve the
    immediate problem of one of my main incoming lines being out.Thanks
    anyway..!Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  12. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Hmm something screwed up in the formatting of that last message, hope it
    was still intelligible..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  13. Ivor Jones

    alexd Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > In news:ggb52u$2aqu$,
    > Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    > unexplained reason:

    > : Can you ping/traceroute to 195.74.61.163 (the IP of www.gradwell.com)
    >
    > Yes and no. From the command prompt (WinXP Pro) it times out,

    Try a traceroute. It'd be interesting to see where it times out. FWIW,
    here's an illegible traceroute to www.gradwell.com from Be:

    $ traceroute www.gradwell.com
    traceroute to www.gradwell.com (195.74.61.163), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 * * *
    2 * * *
    3 197.ge-1-3-2.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net (213.161.78.221) 35.409 ms 36.839
    ms 37.813 ms
    4 r20.londen03.uk.bb.verio.net (208.185.188.154) 40.012 ms 40.979 ms
    41.728 ms
    5 xe-4-1.r01.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.2.126) 220.796 ms
    221.029 ms 221.008 ms
    6 goscomb-0.r01.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (83.231.146.130) 45.044 ms
    34.923 ms 33.860 ms
    7 goscomb.thbdr1.gradwell.net (77.75.104.197) 31.990 ms 31.784 ms
    31.002 ms
    8 bdr3.thdo.gradwell.net (194.165.60.115) 32.933 ms 32.729 ms 32.191 ms
    9 stack0.bdr3.thdo.gradwell.net (79.135.121.10) 33.163 ms 33.174 ms
    33.404 ms
    10 195.74.61.163 (195.74.61.163) 32.465 ms 31.255 ms 30.253 ms

    > but from the utility within Firefox yes:

    Is that a Firefox extension? Mine doesn't seem to have a ping option.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:59:07 up 9 days, 14:53, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.09

    alexd, Nov 23, 2008
  14. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    alexd <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : Ivor Jones wrote:

    [snip]
    : > but from the utility within Firefox yes:
    :
    : Is that a Firefox extension? Mine doesn't seem to have a ping option.

    Yes, get it here:

    http://www.extensionholic.com/speedtest.html

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  15. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Ian Smith <4ward.com> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : Ivor Jones wrote:
    : > In news:,
    : > alexd <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    : > reason:
    : > : Ivor Jones wrote:
    : >
    : > [snip]
    : > : > but from the utility within Firefox yes:
    : > :
    : > : Is that a Firefox extension? Mine doesn't seem to have a ping
    : > : option.
    : >
    : > Yes, get it here:
    : >
    : > http://www.extensionholic.com/speedtest.html
    :
    : Mmmm. I get "The extension will not be installed because it does not
    : provide for secure updates" or similar?

    ???

    Don't know then. Using Firefox 2 here, maybe it's not compatible with FF3
    if you're using that..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  16. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:ggb52u$2aqu$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : Trust Gradwell. They're highly likely to be right in this instance
    : and they are unable to control parts of the Internet they don't own.
    :
    : Your next step is to ask Orange for a MAC and move to an ISP that
    : cares. Of-coruse you'll have to pay a little more, but it'll be worth
    : it. Pick one with a UK call centre.
    :
    : Gordon

    Update - it's finally back up and running as of 1600 today 23/11.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  17. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >In news:ggb52u$2aqu$,
    >Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: Trust Gradwell. They're highly likely to be right in this instance
    >: and they are unable to control parts of the Internet they don't own.
    >:
    >: Your next step is to ask Orange for a MAC and move to an ISP that
    >: cares. Of-coruse you'll have to pay a little more, but it'll be worth
    >: it. Pick one with a UK call centre.
    >:
    >: Gordon
    >
    >Update - it's finally back up and running as of 1600 today 23/11.

    So what was the issue in the end?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 23, 2008
  18. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:ggc6rv$16nj$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In article <>,
    : Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    [snip]

    : >Update - it's finally back up and running as of 1600 today 23/11.
    :
    : So what was the issue in the end?
    :
    : Gordon

    No idea, no update on Gradwell's status page yet.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 23, 2008
  19. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Just arrived home from work to find my Gradwell number not registering and
    > all the website addresses I've tried are unreachable.
    >
    > *Very* unusual this as Gradwell are normally extremely reliable.
    >
    > Anyone else having problems..?

    Orange had a connectivity issue, now resolved.

    cheers
    peter

    --
    peter gradwell. <gradwell>. http://www.gradwell.net/
    <business_voip/email/web_hosting> <t:01225 800 810>

    Registered at 26 Cheltenham St, BA2 3EX, No: 3673235.

    Peter Gradwell, Nov 24, 2008
  20. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:492a9191$0$504$,
    Peter Gradwell <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : Ivor Jones wrote:
    : > Just arrived home from work to find my Gradwell number not
    : > registering and all the website addresses I've tried are
    : > unreachable.
    : >
    : > *Very* unusual this as Gradwell are normally extremely reliable.
    : >
    : > Anyone else having problems..?
    : >
    :
    : Orange had a connectivity issue, now resolved.
    :
    : cheers
    : peter

    Yes thanks Peter, all understood from your tech support team. Any idea
    what the problem actually was..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 24, 2008