GPU fan + temp problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mikester71, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    I just got a PowerColor Radeon X800 XL PCI-E w/256mb GDDR3 video card
    off this guy to run in my new system (which came with integrated video)
    and was just wondering what an acceptable GPU temperature would be.
    According to the ATITool 0.24 utility, my GPU (min/max/avg) are
    (50.5/85.8/64.8) and my GPU environment are (49/62/54.3). The max temp
    of 85.8 was achieved when I hit "Find Max Core" in ATITool and it
    usually runs around 50-51 if I am just online or when idling. Is this
    acceptable or is that too hot? I have been using this card since last
    night and haven't ran any graphic heavy games yet (like FEAR) until I
    find out.

    This guy told me that this is way too hot because he had it running in
    the 30's yesterday in his system when I went to check it out, but that
    was with a bigger fan he had put on himself. My problem is we couldn't
    fit the card in my PCI-E slot with the better fan because of the layout
    of my mobo (kinda backwards). The PCI-E slot is above the other PCI
    slots at the top and the GPU fan is facing upwards in my tower. I had
    originally ordered the X850 XT for my system but had to get rid of it
    because of the extra room needed for its fan and grill. It took up 2
    slots and the grill was hitting the PS/2 ports on the mobo.

    As stated, I am limited with cooling options so had him put the stock
    cooling fan back on (surprisingly it fit with that). I can live with
    the noise from the fan but am just curious if those temps are something
    to be worried about and if so, what other cooling options do I have
    considering my limited space above the PCI-E slot(something affordable
    would be nice too)?

    Thanks as always guys,
    Mike

    Mikester71, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Mikester71

    LL Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote in message
    > According to the ATITool 0.24 utility, my GPU (min/max/avg) are
    > (50.5/85.8/64.8) and my GPU environment are (49/62/54.3). The max temp
    > of 85.8 was achieved when I hit "Find Max Core" in ATITool and it
    > usually runs around 50-51 if I am just online or when idling. Is this
    > acceptable or is that too hot?

    If these temperatures are centigrades, it's quite acceptable. My 9800XT
    shows the same or somewhat higher numbers... Try not to overclock to the
    max, and you'll be fine!

    > As stated, I am limited with cooling options so had him put the stock
    > cooling fan back on (surprisingly it fit with that).

    BTX mobo's are new, but newer video cards will fit allright, also new
    coolers will fit better...

    regards,
    LeLo.

    LL, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    The temps were Celsius. So when I hit the "Show 3D View" and it brings
    up that fuzzy looking thingy in ATITool 0.24 and the temperature
    quickly rises to 85 Celsius in less than a minute, does that sound
    acceptable or is that need for concern?

    I am asuming my mobo is a BTX but the PCI-E slot is above the PCI slots
    and right up against some wires, plugs, the PS/2 circuits and some
    other things. I mean I couldn't even get a X850 XT card close to
    snapping into the slot without the extra vent pushing on the PS/2 port
    and the fan hitting a couple of plugs. I wish I could find a thinner
    cooler or a cooler that could attach to the bottom of the card and
    still effectively bring down the temps.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mikester71, Jan 11, 2006