    is marked as offline. Is there any way to recover it, or is it a limitation
    of Home Premium version?
    Thanks for your help

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=, Feb 15, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I have seen nothing to indicate that GPT partitions are restricted in any
    versions. I would check my cables and power and then right click and choose
    Reactivate Disk, and see if that clears it up.

    John Barnes, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Hello,
    GPT disks are supported for all versions of Windows VIsta.
    GPT is per disk, not per partition so you should have had a GPT disk under
    Windows XP x64
    Does Device manager show the disk as GPT?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Feb 15, 2007
  4. Hello,

    In the deveice manager the RAID5 array is recognized as GPT. In the disk
    manager the array is not visible at all in the disk list. An offline disk is
    present in the bottom of the screnn though (partitions part). Only option I
    have on it is convert in MBR.
    As XP64 is still installed, I can tell you that it still sees and uses the
    array as before.

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=, Feb 16, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    the diskpart utility should give you the option of marking the disk
    active/online.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Correction: in Vista, when I go in properties > volumes everything is empty.
    Populating raise the error message "volume information for this disk cannot
    be found". In XP, the same array is defined as GPT and volumes are displayed
    when populated.

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=, Feb 16, 2007
  7. I did a list disk using that tool and the disk is marked as
    - dynamic
    - gpt
    - invalid
    How could it be invalid for Vista and correct for XP?

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=, Feb 16, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What is the format of the disk? What is your computer/mobo

    John Barnes, Feb 16, 2007
  9. Mobo is an Asus P5B Dlx
    Disks are WD Sata 200GB

    You think it may be link to hardware recognition in Vista?

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=, Feb 16, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What format are you using, FAT FAT32 NTFS

    John Barnes, Feb 16, 2007
  11. Hello,
    Was the disk a Dynamic disk in Windows XP?
    Were you using software RAID and\or hardware RAID?
    If you were using Hardware RAID you may need drivers?

    If this was Software RAID have you tried to bring the disk online?
    Diskpart
    Select disk (x)
    online

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Feb 17, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    nevens Guest

    It's NTFS.

    nevens, Feb 17, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    nevens Guest

    Hello,

    > Was the disk a Dynamic disk in Windows XP?

    Yes
    > Were you using software RAID and\or hardware RAID?

    It's hardware with the chip on the P5B.
    > If you were using Hardware RAID you may need drivers?

    Possible but the array is detected and recognized. I see no specific driver
    on Asus's website.

    > If this was Software RAID have you tried to bring the disk online?
    > Diskpart
    > Select disk (x)
    > online

    I've tried also that without success

    nevens, Feb 17, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    Theo Guest

    You need to go to the Intel web site for your RAID drivers.

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

    Theo, Feb 17, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    nevens Guest

    I already tried this as well. Storage manager sees the array and is able to
    verify it. Also the device manager doesn't fail anymore when populating
    volumes: it indicates the disk as GPT. But it finds no volume.
    Array stays invisible in disk management, and is indicated as invalid by
    diskpart.

    It's still accessible and working from XP64...

    nevens, Feb 17, 2007
  16. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    It might be helpful if you could be more specific as to your hardware,
    disks, how organised in RAID, your partitioning, and where your operating
    systems are located.

    John Barnes, Feb 17, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    nevens Guest

    Ok, sure.

    Mobo is P5B Dlx with the ICH8R Intel chip. On that chip I have plugged
    - 1 WD Raptor 150Gb with XP 64 - Basic disk - 1 partition NTFS
    - 1 WD Raptor 36Gb with Vista 64 - Basic disk - 1 partition NTFS
    - 1 WD 320 Gb - Basic disk - 1 partition NTFS
    - 3 WD 200 Gb in RAID5 - GPT dynamic disk - 1 partition NTFS

    I don't what else could be relevant to explain different behaviour between
    the 2 OS but I can give you any other information you may need...

    My goal was to replace XP64 on biggest Raptor but I tried it first on the
    spare small one. Good idea ;-)

    nevens, Feb 17, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    On page 919 of Windows Vista Inside/Out the author states "Raid-5 volumes
    are types of dynamic volumes that are NOT available to Windows Vista (they
    require a server edition of Windows)
    Since the code base of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is built from the
    Microsoft Windows ServerT 2003 code base it would explain the difference.
    Not the answer you may have wanted but the best I can do.

    John Barnes, Feb 17, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?bmV2ZW5z?=

    nevens Guest

    Thanks a lot for your explanation!
    I would have liked this to be documented on Microsoft's website though
    rather than finding out after buying.
    Anyway, I guess I'll need to create a new GPT basic array then, correct?

    nevens, Feb 18, 2007
  20. Hello,
    But that is talking about Software Raid in WIndows VIsa I would assume( I
    haven't seen the book), not hardware RAID which is what you are reporting
    to have earlier in the thread.
    Windows XP didn't support RAID 5 either as understand it, if you were
    talking about the software in Windows XP to create Dynamic Volumes.
    Hardware RAID is just the driver, as long as the hardware driver supports
    it, it should work.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    |>From: "nevens" <>
    |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <>
    <45d6b5e2$0$3125$>
    <e#>
    <45d738dd$0$3129$>
    <#>
    |>Subject: Re: GPT partition offline
    |>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:36:28 +0100
    |>
    |>Thanks a lot for your explanation!
    |>I would have liked this to be documented on Microsoft's website though
    |>rather than finding out after buying.
    |>Anyway, I guess I'll need to create a new GPT basic array then, correct?
    |>

    |>"John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    |>> On page 919 of Windows Vista Inside/Out the author states "Raid-5
    volumes
    |>> are types of dynamic volumes that are NOT available to Windows Vista
    (they
    |>> require a server edition of Windows)
    |>> Since the code base of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is built
    from
    |>> the Microsoft Windows ServerT 2003 code base it would explain the
    |>> difference.
    |>> Not the answer you may have wanted but the best I can do.
    |>>
    |>> "nevens" <> wrote in message

    In

    message

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Feb 19, 2007