    Once you buy the hardware, do you have to subscribe to some sort of service for
    them to work? How about the ones that give you voice directions? Thanks.

    , Jun 8, 2007

  2. JANA Guest

    You must first buy the hardware. For the higher end systems, you must by
    the software database for the areas that you are going to be using. This
    software has nothing to do with the GPS service itself.

    The government allows the GPS to find raw locations in any of the scale
    systems that are programmed in to the GPS receiver by the manufacture. The
    simple hand held GPS's used for navigation come with a built in basic
    software, and will display the longitude and latitude, with a number of
    other types of statistics. There are many different scaling systems in use.

    The GPS's that are for the vehicles are designed to be more simplistic, and
    yet complex in the fact that they are capable of displaying maps and many
    types of services, such as shopping, resorts, hotels, gas stations street
    addresses, and more. To have this type of extended services there is added
    software involved. This software information will eventually become out of
    date, and will eventually require some updating. There are always business
    and road changes, and new roads under construction. In some areas, it is
    possible to have the traffic information on the GPS. The GPS can be
    programmed for traffic avoidance, and plan the best possible route. There
    are monthly fees for this type of service. This feature can save a lot of
    time and aggravation.

    The higher end GPS's used in aircraft, and boats use added software packages
    to display routes, ports, service locations, and etc. With a simple GPS
    using no data software, if you have a grid location reference (long and
    lat), then you can use a compatible scaled map to manually correlate your
    location. You will require the types of maps that the government and
    commercial services use in order to do this accurately. Most road maps like
    the ones you get at the corner gas station do not have lat and long, and
    they can be a few thousand feet off scale over a number of miles. When using
    a gas station type map, you are working by roads and reference points on a
    visual reference, rather than using an exact point of reference in relation
    to an external reference scaling system.

    Many of the car GPS's load the maps using a CD type disk via the car radio.
    Many of these require a disk for each area that you are going to be using it
    in. It may be preferable to buy a high end GPS with a large memory module.
    You can then buy the data software and load the complete continent in to it.
    This way, you can go anywhere and not worry about having the proper location
    data installed while traveling long distances. About once every year or two,
    you can update the software just to keep current.

    In any case, the whole ordeal is not cheap. But, it is worth every penny,
    especially if you are on the road a lot. You will be able to see your car on
    the map in real time as you are driving. Most of these GPS units can display
    a lot of data about the distances travelled, average speed, and other
    interesting things. The GPS in my car works with the car's computer system.
    It tells me how much distance of fuel I have left, the gas mileage, average
    and total distances traveled, and many other things.

    If you have the space for a laptop in your car, you can get the software,
    mapping data, and the GPS module. This way, your laptop can become a GPS
    system. The disadvantage is the size and practicality of use. The cost will
    not be much cheaper than doing it properly.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    <> wrote in message
    I realize this isn't computer related per se, but there's a lot of technoloy
    minded folks here. My question is about the GPS systems you can buy for
    cars.

    JANA, Jun 8, 2007

  3. Robb Guest

    JANA wrote:

    >You must first buy

    Shorter version.

    1. The Box. (LCD/DVD)
    2. The Bitch in the Box. (Software)
    4. Another Bitch to talk to The Bitch in the Box. (Service)
    5. A DVD to talk to the Box so the Bitch in the Box has a Bitch. (Maps)
    5a. Insurance for the Bitches after you punch the Box. (STFU BITB)

    If you're not delivering Pizza in downtown Detroit, wouldn't it be
    cheaper to get a woman a nail job and let her do what comes
    naturally?

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Jun 8, 2007
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-08, <> wrote:
    > I realize this isn't computer related per se,

    But this newsgroup is not restricted to computerish stuff anyway, so it
    that doesn't matter at all.

    > but there's a lot of technoloy
    > minded folks here. My question is about the GPS systems you can buy for cars.
    > Once you buy the hardware, do you have to subscribe to some sort of service for
    > them to work?

    No. The GPS satellites put into orbit by the US military normally
    broadcast freely and are available to everyone on the planet. Naturally,
    the US military are in control so they can deliberately restrict or
    scramble the signal any time they want to, any place they want to, and
    most other military forces have some ability to block or jam the signals
    too. But as long as you aren't actually at war against the USA
    (officially or otherwise) you probably won't have much difficulty. There
    are some places where the signals are hard to pick up though - such as
    indoors, under trees, near tall buildings or hills, etc.

    Alternative equivalent systems are mooted or in course of being created by
    the EU, China, Russia, and possibly others.

    > How about the ones that give you voice directions? Thanks.

    The little person lives inside the box and is yours for life.

    You may have to register with the maker or some other service, or even pay
    more money, to get up-dates or alternatives for the digital maps and other
    software supplied with your GPS receiver. That sort of information will be
    detailed in the instructions for your particular gadget.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 8, 2007
  5. Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:16:22 -0400, rfdjr1 wrote:

    > I realize this isn't computer related per se, but there's a lot of technoloy
    > minded folks here. My question is about the GPS systems you can buy for cars.
    > Once you buy the hardware, do you have to subscribe to some sort of service for
    > them to work? How about the ones that give you voice directions? Thanks.

    No subscription needed.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog