    oh, we don't know where he is!

    just what i thought...no one knows how to use it!

    aaah, coffee time!

    philo, Jun 18, 2005

  2. philo

    Vanguard Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > well, my company gave us cellphones with GPS.
    > i assumed they did it so they could keep a watchful eye on us.
    > no more 2 hour coffee breaks i figured!
    >
    > the other day i was in the office and they asked me if i could
    > take a service call for one of the other engineers.
    > sure, i said...but why can't you just have "John" handle it?
    >
    > oh, we don't know where he is!
    >

    > just what i thought...no one knows how to use it!

    Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
    OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
    The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
    full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
    then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
    cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or
    ready, right?

    Vanguard, Jun 18, 2005

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    > Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
    > OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
    > The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
    > full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
    > then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
    > cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or ready,
    > right?

    Of course.
    But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.
    The real kicker of course was that no one in the office even thought
    to try the GPS...and even if they did, I don't think they'd know how to use
    it anyway.
    I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    !!!!

    Here is the deal with the people in the office anyway:

    I leave a box on our office manager's desk with a note:
    These boards to go to ABC company for repair.

    Later I get a call from my office manager:

    Say, there's this box on my desk with control boards in it...
    and your note says they are to go to ABC company for repair.
    What do you want me to do with it????

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  4. philo wrote:
    >>Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic device
    >>OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in standby mode.
    >>The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell phone is actually
    >>full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to detect position and
    >>then report it would drain the battery. You do know that just having a
    >>cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls unless you have it on or ready,
    >>right?

    > Of course.
    > But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.
    > The real kicker of course was that no one in the office even thought
    > to try the GPS...and even if they did, I don't think they'd know how to use
    > it anyway.
    > I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    > but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    > which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    > !!!!
    >

    > Here is the deal with the people in the office anyway:
    >
    > I leave a box on our office manager's desk with a note:
    > These boards to go to ABC company for repair.
    >
    > Later I get a call from my office manager:
    >
    > Say, there's this box on my desk with control boards in it...
    > and your note says they are to go to ABC company for repair.
    > What do you want me to do with it????

    Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 18, 2005
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

    I calmly say: Yes, they go to ABC company for repair...
    then say to myself:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG !

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  6. philo

    old jon Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Don't leave us hanging, what's the answer?

    > I calmly say: Yes, they go to ABC company for repair...
    > then say to myself:
    > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG !

    With a manager like that, I`d have a couple of hours coffe break so that I
    could `chill` out. <g>

    old jon, Jun 18, 2005
  7. philo

    JANA Guest

    All the new mobile phones have the GPS system built in. If you know how to
    get in to the maintenance part of your phone, you can actually turn it off,
    but this is illegal in most countries.

    The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at present
    there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do with the national
    security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This is so
    that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

    In the US, and Canada, the 911 service are the only public service that can
    access the user's phone location. The only other service that can access
    this are the law enforcement, and the National Defence.

    I would not worry about your employer finding where you are when you decide
    to take longer lunch hours, or do some time wasting on the job.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jun 18, 2005
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > All the new mobile phones have the GPS system built in. If you know how to
    > get in to the maintenance part of your phone, you can actually turn it
    > off,
    > but this is illegal in most countries.
    >
    > The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at present
    > there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do with the
    > national
    > security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This is so
    > that any user can be located within about 10 meters.
    >
    > In the US, and Canada, the 911 service are the only public service that
    > can
    > access the user's phone location. The only other service that can access
    > this are the law enforcement, and the National Defence.
    >
    > I would not worry about your employer finding where you are when you
    > decide
    > to take longer lunch hours, or do some time wasting on the job.

    there is an option to turn off the GPS
    but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
    anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
    be it 30 hours a week or 50...
    just as long as i get the job done!
    and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  9. philo

    TJ Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    > "JANA" <> wrote in message

    > there is an option to turn off the GPS
    > but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
    > anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
    > be it 30 hours a week or 50...
    > just as long as i get the job done!
    > and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

    I noticed you failed to address this part;

    >> The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at
    >> present there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do
    >> with the national
    >> security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This
    >> is so that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

    When previously you (philo) wrote;

    "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    !!!!"

    So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
    never knows.

    --
    "The ****-Up fairy doesn't just randomly visit people."
    {Wheat Muncher tells it like it is in 24hoursupport.helpdesk.}

    TJ, Jun 18, 2005
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > philo <> wrote:
    >
    > I noticed you failed to address this part;
    >
    >>> The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at
    >>> present there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do
    >>> with the national
    >>> security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This
    >>> is so that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

    > When previously you (philo) wrote;
    >
    > "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    > but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    > which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    > !!!!"
    >
    > So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
    > never knows.

    all I have to do is go to GPS>position
    then hit OK
    and i get my lat. and long

    the format is as follows

    N XXdegrees X.XXX'
    W XXdegrees X.XXX'

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  11. philo

    TJ Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    > "TJ" <> wrote in message

    >> philo <> wrote:

    >> I noticed you failed to address this part;

    <JANA>

    </JANA>

    >> When previously you (philo) wrote;
    >>
    >> "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    >> but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    >> which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service
    >> calls !!!!"
    >>
    >> So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but
    >> one never knows.
    >>

    > all I have to do is go to GPS>position
    > then hit OK
    > and i get my lat. and long
    >
    > the format is as follows
    >
    > N XXdegrees X.XXX'
    > W XXdegrees X.XXX'

    Apparently the PTB have deemed you're not a threat to national security. :)

    TJ, Jun 18, 2005
  12. philo

    philo Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > philo <> wrote:
    >
    >> "TJ" <> wrote in message

    >>> philo <> wrote:

    >>> I noticed you failed to address this part;

    > <JANA>

    > </JANA>
    >
    >>> When previously you (philo) wrote;
    >>>
    >>> "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    >>> but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    >>> which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service
    >>> calls !!!!"
    >>>
    >>> So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but
    >>> one never knows.
    >>>

    >> all I have to do is go to GPS>position
    >> then hit OK
    >> and i get my lat. and long
    >>
    >> the format is as follows
    >>
    >> N XXdegrees X.XXX'
    >> W XXdegrees X.XXX'

    > Apparently the PTB have deemed you're not a threat to national security.
    > :)

    doesn't really matter...
    GPS or just a plain old map...
    when i'm driving...i usually don't know where the fsck i am anyway...
    just ask my girlfriend!!!!

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  13. philo

    FML Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > philo <> wrote:
    >

    >>"JANA" <> wrote in message

    >>there is an option to turn off the GPS
    >>but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
    >>anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
    >>be it 30 hours a week or 50...
    >>just as long as i get the job done!
    >>and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

    > I noticed you failed to address this part;
    >

    >>>The GPS in your phone is not user or corporate accessible, and at
    >>>present there are not plans to allow public access. This has to do
    >>>with the national
    >>>security for the US, Canada, UK, and many countries in Europe. This
    >>>is so that any user can be located within about 10 meters.

    > When previously you (philo) wrote;
    >
    > "I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    > but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    > which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    > !!!!"
    >
    > So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
    > never knows.

    I think they are both right?!? Philo can look at *his own* location.
    Only law enforcement, 911 etc. can look at some else's location.

    FML, Jun 18, 2005
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > TJ wrote:
    >> philo <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"JANA" <> wrote in message

    >>>there is an option to turn off the GPS
    >>>but it's password protected...so i won't fool with it.
    >>>anyway...my company does not care how many hours i work...
    >>>be it 30 hours a week or 50...
    >>>just as long as i get the job done!
    >>>and for 30 years now...the job has always gotten done!

    >> I noticed you failed to address this part;
    >>

    >> So who's full of it? You, or JANA? My money's on the JANAtard, but one
    >> never knows.
    >>

    > I think they are both right?!? Philo can look at *his own* location. Only
    > law enforcement, 911 etc. can look at some else's location.

    But my boss can locate me on GPS...
    that is if he knew how to work the program on our corporate computers.

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  15. philo

    Vanguard Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> Never heard of a power button and actually turning an electronic
    >> device OFF? You can't reach his cell phone unless it is on or in
    >> standby mode. The GPS feature probably doesn't work unless the cell
    >> phone is actually full on; otherwise, the constant power consumed to
    >> detect position and then report it would drain the battery. You do
    >> know that just having a cell phone doesn't mean you will get calls
    >> unless you have it on or ready, right?

    > Of course.
    > But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.

    No, you don't get ANYTHING when the cell phone is off. When you power
    it on, THEN it goes out to check for voicemail that is sitting on the
    telco's *server* where you then download it.

    > The real kicker of course was that no one in the office even thought
    > to try the GPS...and even if they did, I don't think they'd know how
    > to use it anyway.

    Could be. Some cell phones are not very intuitive regarding how to use
    them, and way too many seem to think we humans want to regress back to
    hierglyphics instead of actually putting words on the buttons (templates
    would allow for languages, or buy a model imprinted with your desired
    language).

    > I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...
    > but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    > which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service
    > calls !!!!

    Strange. I though *consumer* grade GPS would get you within 10 feet of
    your real position.

    > Here is the deal with the people in the office anyway:
    >
    > I leave a box on our office manager's desk with a note:
    > These boards to go to ABC company for repair.
    >
    > Later I get a call from my office manager:
    >
    > Say, there's this box on my desk with control boards in it...
    > and your note says they are to go to ABC company for repair.
    > What do you want me to do with it????

    Your boss has problems cogitating more than 2 brain cells to resolve a
    problem. Wonder how he/she manages to wipe their ass after using the
    toilet since there are no instructions above the roll of toilet paper.

    Vanguard, Jun 18, 2005
  16. philo

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, philo mused:

    | But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.

    You do know that voice mail is not actually stored on your phone,
    right? ... which is how you can get voice mail with your phone off.

    | But my boss can locate me on GPS...
    | that is if he knew how to work the program on our corporate computers.

    What program is that? AFAIK the GPS position, as JANA stated, can
    only be obtained by emergency/law enforcement personnel.

    mhicaoidh, Jun 18, 2005
  17. philo

    philo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote in message

    <portions snipped>

    > >> I did try it out and it gives latitude and longitude...

    >> but it does not seem to be precise enough for them to know
    >> which coffee shop I'm hanging out at when I don't have any service calls
    >> !!!!

    > Strange. I though *consumer* grade GPS would get you within 10 feet of
    > your real position.

    may be true...
    but at least they'll never know which table i'm sitting at !!!!

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailS­PäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, philo mused:
    > |
    > | But even if the phone is off...we still get voice mail.
    >
    > You do know that voice mail is not actually stored on your phone,
    > right? ... which is how you can get voice mail with your phone off.

    No foolin' sherlock.

    > | But my boss can locate me on GPS...
    > | that is if he knew how to work the program on our corporate computers.
    >
    > What program is that? AFAIK the GPS position, as JANA stated, can
    > only be obtained by emergency/law enforcement personnel.

    or, as i stated...my boss...
    but as stated somewhere in this thread...
    i doubt if he can wipe his own butt.

    philo, Jun 18, 2005
  19. philo

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, philo mused:

    || You do know that voice mail is not actually stored on your phone,
    || right? ... which is how you can get voice mail with your phone off.
    |
    | No foolin' sherlock.

    Riiight. So, that's why you said: "But even if the phone is
    off...we still get voice mail."

    ||| But my boss can locate me on GPS...
    ||| that is if he knew how to work the program on our corporate
    ||| computers.
    || What program is that? AFAIK the GPS position, as JANA stated, can
    || only be obtained by emergency/law enforcement personnel.
    | or, as i stated...my boss...
    | but as stated somewhere in this thread...
    | i doubt if he can wipe his own butt.

    So, are you saying your "boss" works for 911 or some law enforcement
    agency? You refer to your company as "corporate" ... so, I doubt it.
    Therefore, I ask again, what "program on [your] corporate computers"
    would your boss use to locate the GPS coordinates from your telephone?

    mhicaoidh, Jun 19, 2005
  20. philo

    > Taking a moment's reflection, philo mused:

    <snip>

    > .
    > || What program is that? AFAIK the GPS position, as JANA stated, can
    > || only be obtained by emergency/law enforcement personnel.
    > | or, as i stated...my boss...
    > | but as stated somewhere in this thread...
    > | i doubt if he can wipe his own butt.
    >
    > So, are you saying your "boss" works for 911 or some law enforcement
    > agency? You refer to your company as "corporate" ... so, I doubt it.
    > Therefore, I ask again, what "program on [your] corporate computers"
    > would your boss use to locate the GPS coordinates from your telephone?

    i don't have the foggiest idea what program they use...
    but will check on it.
    the comany i work for is a manufacturer and no government or law enforcement
    connection.
    the phone is a Nextel (FWIW)

    here is some further reading:

    http://www.gpsnorthamerica.com/