    survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

    Thanks in advance

    fred, Mar 5, 2009

  2. fred

    Alan Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    news:gonsk6$ah5$...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very
    > informal survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you,
    > or a close relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has
    > such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Yep.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 5, 2009

  3. fred

    EMB Guest

    fred wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

    yes - me
    yes - step-son-in-law
    yes - 5 at work

    EMB, Mar 5, 2009
  4. fred

    Guest

    On Mar 5, 7:49 pm, fred <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand.  As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?

    A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 5, 2009
  5. fred

    oneofus Guest

    fred wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    yes N95

    oneofus, Mar 5, 2009
  6. fred

    JohnO Guest

    fred wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Yep.

    Becoming quite common now. Blackberries nowdays seem to have 'em as
    standard.

    JohnO, Mar 5, 2009
  7. fred

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 5, 9:14 pm, wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 7:49 pm, fred <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all

    > > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > > cellphones in New Zealand.  As such I am conducting this very informal
    > > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

    > > Thanks in advance

    > Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?
    >
    > A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    The blackberry gps does work, but is less accurate than a garmin eTrex
    and takes longer to acquire a lock.

    JohnO, Mar 5, 2009
  8. fred

    PeeCee Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    No for me and the Mrs.

    P.

    PeeCee, Mar 6, 2009
  9. fred

    Sam Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?
    >
    > A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76

    I'm running Garmin Mobile with the open source NZ maps on my Nokia N82

    Sam, Mar 6, 2009
  10. fred

    Keith Guest

    In article <gonsk6$ah5$>, says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    If the phone is sold into the USA it almost certainly has GPS. Whether
    the user can use it is another matter.

    After 911 the FCC made rules that eventually all cell phone should be
    locatable by the emergency services. Most manufacturers are chosing GPS.

    Keith, Mar 6, 2009
  11. fred

    Guest

    On Mar 6, 4:37 pm, Sam <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?

    > > A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76

    > I'm running Garmin Mobile with the open source NZ maps on my Nokia N82

    ah I have the open source maps as well

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 6, 2009

  12. > I'm running Garmin Mobile with the open source NZ maps on my Nokia N82

    Hi, were do you source these open source maps?
    cheers

    John in Wembley, Mar 6, 2009
  13. fred

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 2009-03-07 08:29, John in Wembley wrote:

    >> I'm running Garmin Mobile with the open source NZ maps on my Nokia N82

    > Hi, were do you source these open source maps?
    > cheers

    http://nzopengps.org/

    The maps are for the Garmin platform.

    Ralph Fox, Mar 6, 2009
  14. fred

    Rob S Guest

    fred wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
    > cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
    > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
    > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Yes

    --
    Rob
    Photons have mass!? I didn't even know they were Catholic...

    Rob S, Mar 8, 2009