    that we could do to rectify the problem?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Phill

    SCL, Oct 22, 2008

  2. We need more information to help. What does the GPO do? Is local policy or
    domain policy?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Oct 22, 2008

  3. SCL

    SCL Guest

    Sorry for the long reply but below is the contents of the policies that we
    are using. These policies are enforced on all machines and it is only a
    small handful of machines that are having the problem. One day they are
    working and the next they are not.

    We are using two policies for the wireless and I believe all are domain
    policies.

    The first GPO we have called Wi-Fi3 WPA2. The settings for this are as
    follows:

    Computer Configuration (Enabled) > Windows Settings > Wireless Network >
    General >
    Name Wi-Fi 3 WPA2
    Description Third POLICY
    Check for policy changes every 180 minutes
    Networks to access Access point (infrastructure) networks only
    Use Windows to configure wireless network settings for clients
    Enabled
    Automatically connect to non-preferred networks Disabled

    The following settings have been made using Vista to amend the WiFi 3 WPA2
    policy as XP doesn't have a policy for WPA2.

    Global Settings >
    Use Windows wireless LAN network services for clients Enabled
    Allow user to view denied networks Enabled
    Allow everyone to create all user profiles Enabled

    Network Filters >
    Use Windows wireless LAN network services for clients Enabled
    Allow user to view denied networks Enabled
    Allow everyone to create all user profiles Enabled

    Preferred Network Profiles > OUR NETWORK NAME
    Use Windows wireless LAN network services for clients Enabled
    Allow user to view denied networks Enabled
    Allow everyone to create all user profiles Enabled

    Security Settings >
    Authentication WPA2
    Encryption AES
    Use 802.1X Enabled
    Pairwise Master Key (PMK) Caching Enabled
    PMK Time-to-Live (minutes) 720
    Number of Entries in PMK Cache 128
    Use Network Pre-authentication Disabled

    IEEE 802.1X Settings >
    Computer Authentication User re-authentication
    Maximum EAPOL-Start Messages Sent 3
    Held Period (seconds) 1
    Start Period (seconds) 5
    Authentication Period (seconds) 18

    The PKI Policy is as follows:

    Computer Configuration (Enabled) > Windows Settings > Security Settings >
    Public Key Policies/Autoenrollment Settings >
    Enroll certificates automatically Enabled
    Renew expired certificates, update pending certificates, and remove
    revoked certificates Disabled
    Update certificates that use certificate templates Disabled

    Public Key Policies/Encrypting File System
    Allow users to encrypt files using Encrypting File System (EFS)
    Enabled

    Public Key Policies/Trusted Root Certification Authorities
    Allow users to select new root certification authorities (CAs) to
    trust Enabled
    Client computers can trust the following certificate stores
    Third-Party Root Certification Authorities and Enterprise Root Certification
    Authorities
    To perform certificate-based authentication of users and computers,
    CAs must meet the following criteria Registered in Active Directory only

    Certificates
    This lists the trusted certificates that each client must have to connect to
    the network

    I hope this is enough information as I couldn't extract anymore out of the
    GPO's. If you need anymore information please let me know.

    Phill

    SCL, Oct 22, 2008
  4. Can the problematic computers connect to the wireless? If not, any errors in
    the IAS event viewer?

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Oct 22, 2008
  5. SCL

    SCL Guest

    The problematic computers can connect when they have the GPO's, the problem
    happens when the GPO's themselves seem to be removed from the machines for no
    reason.

    The stupidity of it is, the computers have been working for
    days/weeks/months without problem and then the user logs onto their machine
    and for whatever reason the machine doesn't receive/keep the GPO's that have
    been applied for the wireless.

    We know the machines have kept other GPO's for example we GPO the Windows
    Firewall and these machines still have the correct settings.

    Phill

    SCL, Oct 23, 2008
  6. SCL

    SCL Guest

    Forgot to mention there are no entries in the IAS logs when these computers
    fail to connect due to no wireless settings.

    SCL, Oct 23, 2008
  7. SCL

    rafter

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi ya, We had a very similar issue. But after looking into it, we found that it was to do with the date/time for the wireless. It was an hour out after the Daylight saving change, and even though some were authenicating and working correctly, some weren't. Its worth checking that your time stamps are correct and synced together.

    rafter, Nov 13, 2008