  1. every time i open group policy management console, then try to edit my policy
    from there, i get an error "cannot find gpedit.msc", but when i type gpedit
    in my run bar, it opens no problem. how do i go about fixing this problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Hello,
    This is 64-bit correct? So you would have both a 32-bit and 64-bit MMC.
    A MMC Console can host both 32-bit and 64-bit snap-ins and each console can
    contain other MMC console.
    So depending on what is happening, you can be opening the 64-bit console
    and failing when a 32-bit snap-in is called or vice-versa.
    So search the system for gpedit.msc and report back where each instance is
    located. ( full path of you system)
    How are you starting the group policy management console the first time?

    I think the default is 64-bit, so you may want to try running the
    gpedit.msc from the syswow64 folder and see if you have the same issue.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <Subject: gpmc and gpedit
    <Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:22:03 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 20, 2006

  3. i run gpmc from admin tools after i install it. ill look and see what the
    path is when i get back in the office on monday. after opening it, i attempt
    to edit a policy and everytime i get the error message that it cant find
    gpedit.msc. i can run gpedit all day long from a prompt, just cant launch
    from another app. i dont know where it is trying to look for the file, but i
    will also make sure it is in both syswow64 and the 32 bit folder.

    if you can think of where gpmc gets its file locations from where i can edit
    them, id like that, just in case this doesnt do it. i was hoping for a
    registry tweak or something.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Hello Bryan,
    It's not that easy. Since a console can host other consoles, you could be
    picking up *.msc files from different locations. This could be a
    combination of 32-bit msc files and 64-bit MSC files. These should be at
    different locations. Depending on which platform is being requested, from
    which embedded msc file.
    Look at where the shortcuts from admin tools are pointing for a start.
    Where is the shortcut for gpedit pointing for example.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative
    Tools
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <Subject: RE: gpmc and gpedit
    <Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:41:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello,
    <> This is 64-bit correct? So you would have both a 32-bit and 64-bit MMC.
    <> A MMC Console can host both 32-bit and 64-bit snap-ins and each console
    can
    <> contain other MMC console.
    <> So depending on what is happening, you can be opening the 64-bit console
    <> and failing when a 32-bit snap-in is called or vice-versa.
    <> So search the system for gpedit.msc and report back where each instance
    is
    <> located. ( full path of you system)
    <> How are you starting the group policy management console the first time?
    <>
    <> I think the default is 64-bit, so you may want to try running the
    <> gpedit.msc from the syswow64 folder and see if you have the same issue.
    <>
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <> <Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:22:03 -0800
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 22, 2006
  5. Darrell-

    Thx, your responses helped me tremendously. I found there was only one
    gpedit.msc on the box, in system32. i copied this to wow64 and gpmc was then
    able to open the mmc when i clicked edit. however, i now get an error: the
    "parameter is incorrect" with a gpedit console with an x'ed out policy
    object. I have the same error whether i open in 64 bit or 32 bit editions.
    I can go directly to the gpedit console and edit the policies with no
    problem. I can work like this, but if you have any more suggestions, i would
    appreciate them.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=, Jan 23, 2006
  6. Hello Bryan,
    I found it in this article:
    304718 How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer
    computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;304718

    Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools issues on x64-based versions of
    Windows Server 2003
    When you try to modify a Group Policy on an x64-based version of Windows
    Server 2003 from the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, the
    Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in, or the Group Policy Management
    Console snap-in, you receive the following error message:
    Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly
    and then try again.
    To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search
    When you try to modify a GPO from any one of the snap-ins that is listed
    earlier, a call is made to start the Gpedit.msc file. Currently, the
    snap-ins that call the Gpedit.msc file are 32-bit tools. However, on
    x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003, Gpedit.msc is a 64-bit snap-in.
    This problem will be corrected in a future release of a 64-bit Adminpak.msi
    package. To work around this problem, use either of the following methods.

    There are some workarounds in the article
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:25:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Darrell-
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
[...]
    <> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <> <Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:41:02 -0800
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
[...]
    <> <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <> <
    <> <> Hello,
    <> <> This is 64-bit correct? So you would have both a 32-bit and 64-bit
    MMC.
    <> <> A MMC Console can host both 32-bit and 64-bit snap-ins and each
    console
    <> can
    <> <> contain other MMC console.
    <> <> So depending on what is happening, you can be opening the 64-bit
    console
    <> <> and failing when a 32-bit snap-in is called or vice-versa.
    <> <> So search the system for gpedit.msc and report back where each
    instance
    <> is
    <> <> located. ( full path of you system)
    <> <> How are you starting the group policy management console the first
    time?
    <> <>
    <> <> I think the default is 64-bit, so you may want to try running the
    <> <> gpedit.msc from the syswow64 folder and see if you have the same
    issue.
    <> <>
    <> <> Thanks,
    <> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <>
    <> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <> rights
    <> <> --------------------
    <> <> <Thread-Topic: gpmc and gpedit
    <> <> <thread-index: AcYd3aXcfexjH1zrRzeu/y5ym/dH/A==
    <> <> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 65.173.2.156
    <> <> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=" <>
    <> <> <Subject: gpmc and gpedit
    <> <> <Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:22:03 -0800
    <> <> <Lines: 3
    <> <> <Message-ID: <>
    <> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <> <Content-Type: text/plain;
    <> <> < charset="Utf-8"
    <> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    <> <> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    <> <> <Importance: normal
    <> <> <Priority: normal
    <> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
    <> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
    <> <> <Path:
    TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl
    <> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:27856
    <> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 24, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ5YW4=?=

    prozacm Guest

    hey the vista service pack automatically deletes Group Policy Management
    Console.

    I dont know why but that is the reason u cant find it.

    prozacm, May 19, 2008