GP: So where's the Stigma SD11?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ~Darrell Larose~, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Well George/Georgette/Stev or what ever the nom de plume you have this
    week... Where is Sigma's SD11????

    ~Darrell Larose~, Sep 30, 2004

  2. ~Darrell Larose~

    Fi Nishing Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "~Darrell Larose~" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well George/Georgette/Stev or what ever the nom de plume you have this
    > week... Where is Sigma's SD11????

    LOL, they couldn't manage to improve on abysmal.
    Polaroid has brought out a toy containing a toy Foveon thing though.

    Fi Nishing, Oct 1, 2004

  3. ~Darrell Larose~

    Linda_N Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Fi Nishing" <> wrote in message

    > "~Darrell Larose~" <> wrote in message
    >> Well George/Georgette/Stev or what ever the nom de plume you have this
    >> week... Where is Sigma's SD11????
    >>

    > LOL, they couldn't manage to improve on abysmal.
    > Polaroid has brought out a toy containing a toy Foveon thing though.

    You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it was
    closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and instead
    was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one of
    the top contenders in the market.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    In article <x3l7d.3004$>, Linda_N
    <> wrote:

    > You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it was
    > closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and instead
    > was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one of
    > the top contenders in the market.

    Can't compete because their cameras are junk.

    As for lenses - top contenders for what...the crappiest construction or
    just mediocre overall quality?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 2, 2004
  5. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Fi Nishing" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "~Darrell Larose~" <> wrote in message
    > > Well George/Georgette/Stev or what ever the nom de plume you have this
    > > week... Where is Sigma's SD11????
    > >

    > LOL, they couldn't manage to improve on abysmal.

    The SD10 was announces on Oct 27. Does that sound like a show?

    > Polaroid has brought out a toy containing a toy Foveon thing though.

    With the best 3 layer video ever fielded.

    Georgette Preddy, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    > > "~Darrell Larose~" <> wrote in message
    > > > Well George/Georgette/Stev or what ever the nom de plume you have this
    > > > week... Where is Sigma's SD11????
    > > >

    > > LOL, they couldn't manage to improve on abysmal.

    > The SD10 was announces on Oct 27. Does that sound like a show?

    About a year ago, no SD11 at Photokina like GP claimed. Bankrupt Polaroid
    was the only Foveon appearance...

    ~Darrell Larose~, Oct 2, 2004
  7. ~Darrell Larose~

    Linda_N Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <x3l7d.3004$>, Linda_N
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it was
    >> closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and
    >> instead
    >> was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one of
    >> the top contenders in the market.

    > Can't compete because their cameras are junk.
    >
    > As for lenses - top contenders for what...the crappiest construction or
    > just mediocre overall quality?

    It's a shame that you had poor experiences with Sigma lenses, but millions
    have not had those problems. Some Sigma glass is a very good buy and perfect
    for the intended user, just like some Canon glass is perfectly overpriced
    for what you get. It works both ways. Every company has something that will
    please you, and each has something that will make you feel you paid way too
    much for what you got in return. The best option (and considering personal
    biases to brand) do a search on google for lens reviews. Read user reviews
    as well from several sources to get averages before purchasing.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 2, 2004
  8. ~Darrell Larose~

    Fi Nishing Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message

    > You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it was
    > closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and instead
    > was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one of
    > the top contenders in the market.

    Of course it can't compete, it has no idea about digital photograph quality.

    You'd better let the poor buggers over at the Sigma forum on dpreview know
    they've given up then. Last time I needed a laugh and looked in their
    rather sad forum there was speculation there about the next Sigma
    SD-something. If you're correct then it looks as though they are stuck with
    their 3-something megapixel heaps of crap.

    Fi

    Fi Nishing, Oct 2, 2004
  9. ~Darrell Larose~

    > > Polaroid has brought out a toy containing a toy Foveon thing though.

    > With the best 3 layer video ever fielded.

    Noted: Preddy did not attempt to deny it's a toy.

    Fi Nishing, Oct 2, 2004
  10. ~Darrell Larose~

    Linda_N Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Fi Nishing" <> wrote in message

    > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it was
    >> closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and
    >> instead
    >> was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one of
    >> the top contenders in the market.
    >>

    > Of course it can't compete, it has no idea about digital photograph
    > quality.
    >
    > You'd better let the poor buggers over at the Sigma forum on dpreview know
    > they've given up then. Last time I needed a laugh and looked in their
    > rather sad forum there was speculation there about the next Sigma
    > SD-something. If you're correct then it looks as though they are stuck
    > with
    > their 3-something megapixel heaps of crap.
    >
    > Fi

    Here is 4 of Sigma's newly announced lenses:
    http://www.photokina-show.com/

    Lens life is looking good for Sigma.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 2, 2004
  11. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message

    > "Fi Nishing" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> You two are so far behind the times. Sigma announced ages ago that it

    was
    > >> closing its dSLR doors with the SD10 because it can't compete, and
    > >> instead
    > >> was expanding its lens development departments where it has become one

    of
    > >> the top contenders in the market.
    > >>

    > > Of course it can't compete, it has no idea about digital photograph
    > > quality.
    > >
    > > You'd better let the poor buggers over at the Sigma forum on dpreview

    know
    > > they've given up then. Last time I needed a laugh and looked in their
    > > rather sad forum there was speculation there about the next Sigma
    > > SD-something. If you're correct then it looks as though they are stuck
    > > with
    > > their 3-something megapixel heaps of crap.
    > >
    > > Fi
    > >

    > Here is 4 of Sigma's newly announced lenses:
    > http://www.photokina-show.com/
    >
    > Lens life is looking good for Sigma.
    >
    > Linda

    Don't forget the SD7.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 2, 2004
  12. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    In article <E3C7d.25230$>, Peter A.
    Stavrakoglou <> wrote:

    > Don't forget the SD7.

    More Mattel cameras?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 2, 2004
  13. ~Darrell Larose~

    Linda_N Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    >> Here is 4 of Sigma's newly announced lenses:
    >> http://www.photokina-show.com/
    >>
    >> Lens life is looking good for Sigma.
    >>
    >> Linda

    > Don't forget the SD7.

    That must be before my time as I've only read of the SD9 and SD10, but those
    are dSLR cameras not lenses.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 3, 2004
  14. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > >> Here is 4 of Sigma's newly announced lenses:
    > >> http://www.photokina-show.com/
    > >>
    > >> Lens life is looking good for Sigma.
    > >>
    > >> Linda

    > > Don't forget the SD7.
    > >

    > That must be before my time as I've only read of the SD9 and SD10, but

    those
    > are dSLR cameras not lenses.
    >
    > Linda

    Not before your time but rather don't forget to consider it as it is rumored
    to be released in the coming months. You didn't miss anything yet.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 3, 2004
  15. ~Darrell Larose~

    > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    >> That must be before my time as I've only read of the SD9 and SD10, but

    > those
    >> are dSLR cameras not lenses.
    >>
    >> Linda

    > Not before your time but rather don't forget to consider it as it is
    > rumored
    > to be released in the coming months. You didn't miss anything yet.

    Thanks, Peter. Is the SD7 a camera or a lens? I wish companies would stop
    using letter number combinations for product models as it is getting
    confusing! Look at Canon dSLR, it used to be D# (like D60) and now it is #D
    (like 20D), but Nikon has to complicate matters by using D# (D70). Panasonic
    and Konica Minolta have something similar going on. Arrrghhh

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 3, 2004
  16. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks, Peter. Is the SD7 a camera or a lens? I wish companies would stop
    > using letter number combinations for product models as it is getting
    > confusing! Look at Canon dSLR, it used to be D# (like D60) and now it is

    #D
    > (like 20D), but Nikon has to complicate matters by using D# (D70).

    Panasonic
    > and Konica Minolta have something similar going on. Arrrghhh
    >
    > Linda

    The rumored SD7 is a digital SLR from Sigma aimed at the sub US $ 1,000.00
    buyer.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 4, 2004
  17. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    In article <Tv%7d.29129$>, Peter A.
    Stavrakoglou <> wrote:

    > The rumored SD7 is a digital SLR from Sigma aimed at the sub US $ 1,000.00
    > buyer.

    Bet that'll be a dandy...

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 4, 2004
  18. Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    > In article <Tv%7d.29129$>, Peter A.
    > Stavrakoglou <> wrote:
    >
    > > The rumored SD7 is a digital SLR from Sigma aimed at the sub US $

    1,000.00
    > > buyer.

    > Bet that'll be a dandy...

    No one wants to play with little Randall today?

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 4, 2004
  19. ~Darrell Larose~

    > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks, Peter. Is the SD7 a camera or a lens? I wish companies would stop
    >> using letter number combinations for product models as it is getting
    >> confusing! Look at Canon dSLR, it used to be D# (like D60) and now it is

    > #D
    >> (like 20D), but Nikon has to complicate matters by using D# (D70).

    > Panasonic
    >> and Konica Minolta have something similar going on. Arrrghhh
    >>
    >> Linda

    > The rumored SD7 is a digital SLR from Sigma aimed at the sub US $ 1,000.00
    > buyer.

    It will be interesting to see if Sigma is actually developing it or if one
    of their partners are. I had read just after the release of the SD10 an
    interview from one of the CEOs who mentioned that the SD10 would be the last
    dSLR from them, and that instead they were going to put full focus into lens
    development. I think (can't recall 100% though so take it with a grain of
    salt) that it was he who said they were teaming up with Phillips and Sony to
    combine efforts with working on the first liquid lens. The prototype is the
    size of the tip of an average sized man's pointer finger, and the shape of
    the lens is controlled by a wire which is controlled by a very small
    electronic circuit board. The lens can do close-up (I think that was when it
    was pressed/flattened by the wire) and telephoto (no wire pressure, full
    sized and original shape). If it wall works out it will revolutionalize
    photography and lenses as we know it. In theory a dSLR could be smaller than
    the smallest compact available today.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 4, 2004
  20. ~Darrell Larose~

    Fi Nishing Guest

    Re: So where's the Stigma SD11?

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > salt) that it was he who said they were teaming up with Phillips and Sony

    > combine efforts with working on the first liquid lens. The prototype is

    the
    > size of the tip of an average sized man's pointer finger, and the shape of
    > the lens is controlled by a wire which is controlled by a very small
    > electronic circuit board. The lens can do close-up (I think that was when

    it
    > was pressed/flattened by the wire) and telephoto (no wire pressure, full
    > sized and original shape). If it wall works out it will revolutionalize
    > photography and lenses as we know it. In theory a dSLR could be smaller

    than
    > the smallest compact available today.
    >
    > Linda

    Will you have to wear a pointy hat made of tinfoil when you use this
    revolutionary liquid lens?

    Fi Nishing, Oct 4, 2004