    MCSE, MCT, CCNA, MCSA, A+, N+ CTT+ Security+ (etc)
    MCP 442293
    Independent Trainer/Consultant
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 5, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Will Harper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
    > equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.
    > --
    > Will Harper,
    > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, MCSA, A+, N+ CTT+ Security+ (etc)
    > MCP 442293
    > Independent Trainer/Consultant

    May I suggest running a search under google or possibly a
    the microsoft website. I managed to find the W2k3 Resource
    kit which might have what you are looking for

    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Oct 5, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=" <>
    said in news::

    > I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
    > equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.

    gpedit.chm

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Windows 2003 Reskit ONLY has rktools.chm (or at least the copies which I have
    from both Technet and MSDN).

    I know about google. Did you find a listing for gp.chm?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 5, 2004
  5. gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few examples. For
    instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative Templates |
    system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that, except for a
    few items that are included in the system help file, will give the full path
    to every group policy setting.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 5, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    > Windows 2003 Reskit ONLY has rktools.chm (or at least the copies which I

    have
    > from both Technet and MSDN).
    >
    > I know about google. Did you find a listing for gp.chm?

    <snip>

    What is it exactly you are trying to do? Manage group policy?
    The reason I ask is it looks like they have added a specialized
    group policy management tool to the feature packs for W2k3 server.

    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Please note the signature line.... I made my request VERY CLEAR. I'm
    looking for a .chm with the same functionality of the gp.chm in the Windows
    2000 resource kit. It's main benefit is as a line-by-line lookup tool. If
    you haven't used gp.msc, you won't know what I'm talking about - and if you
    have, you'll know what functions I'm looking for.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 5, 2004
  8. If that's all you're looking for, do a search on "policysettings.xls". It's
    a common, well known spreadsheet used by engineers and instructors.

    Wayne

    > gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few examples.

    For
    > instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative Templates

    > system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that, except

    for a
    > few items that are included in the system help file, will give the full

    path
    > to every group policy setting.
    >
    > "Neil" wrote:
    >
    > > incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?="

    <>

    Wayne McGlinn, Oct 6, 2004
  9. That still isn't a replacement for gp.chm. Policysettings.xls (unless you
    know of one I haven't found) ONLY lists ADM templates. There is so much more
    than that.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    > Please note the signature line.... I made my request VERY CLEAR. I'm
    > looking for a .chm with the same functionality of the gp.chm in the

    Windows
    > 2000 resource kit. It's main benefit is as a line-by-line lookup tool.

    If
    > you haven't used gp.msc, you won't know what I'm talking about - and if

    you
    > have, you'll know what functions I'm looking for.

    <snip>

    First off please calm down, I am doing my best to help you.
    Since I cannot read minds and don't know what you are
    trying to do or your exact needs, I was doing what I could to
    assist you in your endeavor (yes, I did read the original post
    and its follow ups, but as we both know there is usually more
    to the story than what could be put into a simple newsgroup
    post). As I haven't had an opportunity to use the tool you
    mention, I have only your description of it to work with, thereby
    limiting my knowledge of what it is you are trying to achieve.

    From the looks of things there is no GP.CHM or anything like it
    currently available for the W2k3 system so I was simply offering
    possible alternatives. I fully realize your frustration, since I
    have been there in other circumstances, so again, please don't
    shoot the messenger.

    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Oct 6, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Consultant Guest

    i shee there is no pleazing you

    Consultant, Oct 6, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Consultant" <> said in

    > i shee there is no pleazing you

    a flapjack und a shigarette?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 6, 2004
  13. I didn't appreciate your Off-Topic comment. I hope the monitor picks up on
    this -

    My question was very simple, and it appears that Microsoft has not replaced
    the windows 2000 gp.chm functionality, for Windows 2003.

    I have appreciated most of the other people's efforts, but yours just uses
    up bandwidth.

    If anyone else has something CONSTRUCTIVE to add, I'll still monitor and
    follow-up on any help you can offer.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Thanks, I had already arrived at the conclusion that Microsoft had left the
    gp.msc for Windows 2000 an orphan, when they put out Windows 2003. I only
    posted because there is always a chance that I haven't looked in the right
    place.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Lets please stop the off-topic bandwidth.... I follow up on every reply.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2004
  16. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    > That still isn't a replacement for gp.chm. Policysettings.xls (unless
    > you know of one I haven't found) ONLY lists ADM templates. There is
    > so much more than that.
    >
    > "Wayne McGlinn" wrote:
    >
    >> If that's all you're looking for, do a search on
    >> "policysettings.xls". It's a common, well known spreadsheet used by
    >> engineers and instructors.
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>
    >> "Will Harper" <> wrote in message
    >> > gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few
    >> > examples.

    >> For
    >> > instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative
    >> > Templates

    >> > system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that,
    >> > except

    >> for a
    >> > few items that are included in the system help file, will give the
    >> > full

    >> path
    >> > to every group policy setting.

    >> <>

    why not start with everything you know in 2000 or read teh definative
    2000 GP Guide:

    http://cc.realtimepublishers.com/publicationhome.asp?pid=25

    then you can read something like:

    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/39987/39987.html

    for teh changes in 2003

    _OR_

    you could just open up the group policy editor and many of the policies
    have help info directly associated with them. or heck read this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/dep
    loyguide/en-us/Default.asp?
    url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/deployguide/en-
    us/dmebb_gpu_oylk.asp
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/667kl

    now if that's too much work for ya...bite me
    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 6, 2004
  17. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    > I'm
    > looking for a .chm with the same functionality of the gp.chm in the
    > Windows 2000 resource kit

    well, it's not there is it? Besides the gp.chm was part of the reskit not
    the standard install. use the one from 2000 and explain to the stundents
    that there are additional policy settings in 2k3. I would also tell them
    that if it's not covered in the MOC and it's not in another resource, there
    is always the web for a seach on that specific setting. I do not know of
    spreadsheet that would cover everything you want but if you are an MCT, why
    not try asking in the private NG? If you need help finding the Private NG
    email me at

    neilmcse at gmail dot com

    I have posted on for you in the 2k3 NG there...

    furrfu...have me teach your class next why doncha?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 6, 2004
  18. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Dragon Guest

    The only place I see a reference to this is at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...logies/directory/activedirectory/bpadprn.mspx

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/6oyq3

    Notes: For more information about these policies, see the Explain tab for
    each policy or the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Group Policy Reference
    (Gp.chm).

    But I was unable to find it anywhere.

    Dragon, Oct 6, 2004
  19. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?="
    <> said in news:69DB7422-DD8D-4B2D-BFCD-
    :

    > Lets please stop the off-topic bandwidth.... I follow up on every

    reply.

    > "Neil" wrote:
    >
    >> incase you missed it "Consultant" <> said in
    >>
    >> > i shee there is no pleazing you

    >> a flapjack und a shigarette?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil MCNGP #30
    >> the "curious" hair on the soap of society

    please start by asking MCT questions in the correct forum...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 6, 2004
  20. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Dragon" <> said in

    > But I was unable to find it anywhere.

    actually not part of teh 2k3 reskit...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30