    Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.

    dj

    Sts4Heffer, May 20, 2006

  2. Sts4Heffer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 08:45:18 +0100, Sts4Heffer wrote:

    > I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600
    > mAh NiMh.
    >
    > The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has
    > been very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which
    > most seem to be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    > 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.

    You won't know until you try it. If your old charger doesn't have
    a timer shutoff the charger should work well. Based on the numbers
    you've provided, it seems that your charger takes about 7 hours to
    charge the 1600 mAh batteries. If it was designed with a timer,
    specifically for those 1600 mAh batteries, it might cut off at
    somewhere at the 8 or 9 hour point. If so, it might be best to get
    an inexpensive "smart" charger. Some also charge at slow rates, but
    usually not as long as 11 or 12 hours. I have one that takes about
    4 hours and another takes about 8 hours (I may be slightly off). If
    you do get one, whether slow or fast, the most important/useful
    feature would be that it charges all 4 cells independently. If it
    has to charge in pairs, or doesn't have an LED or LCD display for
    each cell, you'd be better off choosing another.

    ASAAR, May 20, 2006

  3. Sts4Heffer

    Sts4Heffer Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 May 2006 08:45:18 +0100, Sts4Heffer wrote:
    >
    >> I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600
    >> mAh NiMh.
    >>
    >> The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has
    >> been very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which
    >> most seem to be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >>
    >> Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    >> 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.

    > You won't know until you try it. If your old charger doesn't have
    > a timer shutoff the charger should work well. Based on the numbers
    > you've provided, it seems that your charger takes about 7 hours to
    > charge the 1600 mAh batteries. If it was designed with a timer,
    > specifically for those 1600 mAh batteries, it might cut off at
    > somewhere at the 8 or 9 hour point. If so, it might be best to get
    > an inexpensive "smart" charger. Some also charge at slow rates, but
    > usually not as long as 11 or 12 hours. I have one that takes about
    > 4 hours and another takes about 8 hours (I may be slightly off). If
    > you do get one, whether slow or fast, the most important/useful
    > feature would be that it charges all 4 cells independently. If it
    > has to charge in pairs, or doesn't have an LED or LCD display for
    > each cell, you'd be better off choosing another.

    many thanks,

    As far as I know it does not have a cut off but one never knows. It only has
    one LED per pair of cells so as you suggest I will look out one with
    independent cell charging.

    dj

    Sts4Heffer, May 20, 2006
  4. Sts4Heffer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sts4Heffer wrote:
    > I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600 mAh
    > NiMh.
    >
    > The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has been
    > very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which most seem to
    > be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    > 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.
    >
    > dj

    Figure a bit more than twice the charge time. BTW, a good, smart
    charger that charges each battery (Maha 401) would be a good investment.
    Moderate speed charger that tops off with slow charge, and will give
    each battery maximum charge.

    Ron Hunter, May 20, 2006
  5. Sts4Heffer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 09:51:13 +0100, Sts4Heffer wrote:

    >> . . .
    >> has to charge in pairs, or doesn't have an LED or LCD display for
    >> each cell, you'd be better off choosing another.

    > many thanks,

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, May 20, 2006
  6. Sts4Heffer wrote:

    > As far as I know it does not have a cut off but one never knows. It
    > only has one LED per pair of cells so as you suggest I will look out
    > one with independent cell charging.
    >
    > dj

    I suggest you replace it with a new charger that charges each cell
    independently as needed, not one that uses a time charge or charges groups
    of cells all the same.

    Modern chargers that charge each cell as needed are far better that what
    you have.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, May 20, 2006
  7. Sts4Heffer

    Sts4Heffer Guest

    "Sts4Heffer" <> wrote in message
    >I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600 mAh
    >NiMh.
    >
    > The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has been
    > very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which most seem
    > to be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    > 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.
    >
    > dj

    ah well that's sorted that 7 hours and its indicated charged so I assume the
    charger is timed and only good for say 1600/1700 batts.

    dj

    Sts4Heffer, May 20, 2006
  8. Sts4Heffer wrote:

    > ah well that's sorted that 7 hours and its indicated charged so I
    > assume the charger is timed and only good for say 1600/1700 batts.
    >
    > dj

    I would not automatically make that assumption. It could be designed
    to handle larger capacity batteries and taper the charge down as they become
    fully charged and cycle off at the end of the charge. I just don't think we
    have the information to really know.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, May 20, 2006
  9. Sts4Heffer

    Sts4Heffer Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Sts4Heffer wrote:
    >

    >> ah well that's sorted that 7 hours and its indicated charged so I
    >> assume the charger is timed and only good for say 1600/1700 batts.
    >>
    >> dj

    > I would not automatically make that assumption. It could be designed
    > to handle larger capacity batteries and taper the charge down as they
    > become fully charged and cycle off at the end of the charge. I just don't
    > think we have the information to really know.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    If the charger is putting out a constant 250mA, after 7 hours, the max it
    could have input is 1750mA less a certain %.........I thought it was just
    maths but then again I aint no electronics boffin either (wish I was
    mind)..............

    I have ordered a 2500mA charger with LCD.

    dj

    Sts4Heffer, May 20, 2006
  10. Sts4Heffer

    SMS Guest

    Sts4Heffer wrote:
    > I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600 mAh
    > NiMh.
    >
    > The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has been
    > very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which most seem to
    > be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    > 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.

    Forget it. Get the Sanyo charger at Costco. It's $20, includes six
    2500mAH AA and two 900 mAH AAA batteries. It charges individually
    (despite what the packaging says--the actual data sheet from Sanyo says
    that it does charge individually), and it has fast and regular charge
    capability (two cells can be charged at a high rate, four are charged at
    a lower rate).

    SMS, May 20, 2006
  11. Sts4Heffer

    Sts4Heffer Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Sts4Heffer wrote:
    >> I have used 1600 mAh GP's since 2000 and decided to upgrade to 2600 mAh
    >> NiMh.
    >>
    >> The 1600's came with a 3v/250mA 1.5VA 4 bank wall charger which has been
    >> very good. I do not want to buy a new mega fast charger (which most seem
    >> to be) as I believe slow charging to be better for batteries.
    >>
    >> Am I correct in assuming my old charger will suffice but will take approx
    >> 11/12 hours to charge the higher spec ones.

    > Forget it. Get the Sanyo charger at Costco. It's $20, includes six 2500mAH
    > AA and two 900 mAH AAA batteries. It charges individually (despite what
    > the packaging says--the actual data sheet from Sanyo says that it does
    > charge individually), and it has fast and regular charge capability (two
    > cells can be charged at a high rate, four are charged at a lower rate).

    I might have looked at that one but the flight cost is beyond my pocket at
    the moment...:)

    Sts4Heffer, May 20, 2006