    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 31, 2009

  2. Alan

    Damos Guest

    Damos, Mar 31, 2009

  3. Alan

    Naphov Guest

    On Mar 31, 11:51 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > Damos wrote:
    > > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:31:18 +1300, Alan <> wrote:

    > >> "The Government has unveiled plans for a new Crown-owned investment
    > >> company that will spend up to $1.5 billion on high speed broadband
    > >> infrastructure"

    > >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/small-business/news/print.cfm?c_id=85&objec....

    > >    But isn't over the next 10 years. So nothing will change then.

    > That may be your idea, but at least we are seeing some thought, maybe it
    > will get traction and that will be good

    ..
    Hard to argue that this will push NZ up any broadband ladder though.
    Here's an example of announcements now being made elsewhere:

    "Zon to offer 100 Mbps broadband
    From Branislav Pekic in Rome
    Portugal’s Zon Multimédia plans to upgrade its broadband network by
    the end of this year, in order to reach 2.9 million homes with access
    speeds of 100 Mbps.

    Speaking during the conference "Portugal in Fibre Optic", Zon CEO,
    Luis Lopes, said that nearly one million homes currently have speeds
    of 100 Mbps and that they plan to make this service available to 60%
    of Portuguese households during 2009. He anticipated that in three
    years time average broadband consumption in Portugal will "more than
    quadruple", with Zon likely to offer speeds of up to 400 Mbps.

    According to Lopes, Zon is prepared for the arrival of the Next
    Generation Networks (NGN), adding that it will increase eigthfold the
    network capacity in data terms during this year".

    I'm thinking that if there's a race going on, we're gonna have to ramp
    up our strategies to become competitive.
    Naphov, Apr 1, 2009
  4. In message <6e455ec9-ed0e-40b6-b8ad-
    >, Naphov wrote:

    > I'm thinking that if there's a race going on, we're gonna have to ramp
    > up our strategies to become competitive.

    Mr Prime Minister, we cannot allow a Bandwidth Gap!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2009
  5. Alan

    Your Name Guest

    > In message <6e455ec9-ed0e-40b6-b8ad-
    > >, Naphov wrote:
    >
    > > I'm thinking that if there's a race going on, we're gonna have to ramp
    > > up our strategies to become competitive.

    > Mr Prime Minister, we cannot allow a Bandwidth Gap!

    Of course, by the time they install all the cabling and equipment, and get
    it all working, we will still be ten years behind whatever everwhere else is
    using by then. ;-) Not to mention that there's still only really one
    connection to the outside world.
    Your Name, Apr 2, 2009