  1. Noname

    Noname Guest

    What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?

    Noname, May 12, 2006

  2. FCC as far as I know

    Jonathan Roberts, May 13, 2006

  3. Noname

    Noname Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > FCC as far as I know
    >
    > "Noname" <> wrote in message
    > > What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?

    I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

    I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is no
    regulation.

    Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?

    Noname, May 13, 2006
  4. Noname

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Noname wrote:
    > "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>FCC as far as I know
    >>
    >>"Noname" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?
    >>>

    > I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
    >
    > I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is no
    > regulation.
    >
    > Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?

    There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)

    Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

    Rick Merrill, May 13, 2006
  5. "Noname" <> wrote:
    >I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

    search for Vonage at the FCC WWWebsite, you'll see that the FCC is the
    one forcing them into some semblance of compliance with E911, for
    instance.

    William P.N. Smith, May 13, 2006
  6. Noname

    Rick Merrill Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > "Noname" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

    > search for Vonage at the FCC WWWebsite, you'll see that the FCC is the
    > one forcing them into some semblance of compliance with E911, for
    > instance.

    Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
    ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
    has NOT moved!

    Rick Merrill, May 13, 2006
  7. Noname

    Noname Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Noname wrote:
    > > "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>FCC as far as I know
    > >>
    > >>"Noname" <> wrote in message

    > > I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
    > >
    > > I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is

    no
    > > regulation.
    > >
    > > Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?
    > >

    > There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)
    >
    > Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

    I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
    The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
    bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
    company.

    My intent was to find a government agency that could persuade the VOiP
    provider to acknowledge my cancellation.

    As to government regulation, wiretapping ... my purpose is not to play the
    political game - I have my beliefs but that is separate from this problem.

    Noname, May 14, 2006
  8. Noname

    Bill Kearney Guest

    > Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
    > ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
    > has NOT moved!

    Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

    Bill Kearney, May 14, 2006
  9. "Noname" <> wrote:
    >I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
    >The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
    >bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
    >company.

    That should be all you need to do, your credit card company will
    reverse the charges if you dispute them in writing, and have done all
    the right things to cancel your account.

    The FCC regulates the technical details of VOIP, not the financial
    (mis)dealings of the companies involved.

    William P.N. Smith, May 14, 2006
  10. "Bill Kearney" <> wrote:
    >> Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
    >> ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
    >> has NOT moved!

    >Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

    I'd imagine it calls you when you power it back up.

    William P.N. Smith, May 14, 2006
  11. Noname

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Noname wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Noname wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote in message

    >>>I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.
    >>>
    >>>I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is

    > no
    >
    >>>regulation.
    >>>
    >>>Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?
    >>>

    >>There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)
    >>
    >>Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

    > I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers.
    > The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to
    > bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card
    > company.

    Ok, I had that same thing happen to me! Here is what I did: I called
    the NEW company and THEY created a conference call to the OLD company
    and between the three of us we straightened it out! This way there is
    a third party witness and we can assure one another that the facts are
    the facts. BEWARE! The old company might just cancel your NUMBER as
    well as your account! That is a really mean thing to have happen.

    Rick Merrill, May 14, 2006
  12. Noname

    Rick Merrill Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > "Bill Kearney" <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your
    >>>ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA
    >>>has NOT moved!

    >>Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

    > I'd imagine it calls you when you power it back up.

    eggzatally

    Rick Merrill, May 14, 2006
  13. Noname

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Bill Kearney" <> wrote in message
    > > Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if
    > > you power off your ATA you then get an automated call
    > > asking you to verify that your ATA has NOT moved!

    > Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

    Voicemail..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2006
  14. Noname

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Bill Kearney" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if
    >>>you power off your ATA you then get an automated call
    >>>asking you to verify that your ATA has NOT moved!

    >>Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

    > Voicemail..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Nope, all normal calls DO go to voicemail, but that call from ATT
    only goes to the real phone, whereever it may be! It's up to the
    user to certify that the ATA is in the location where they setup
    the emergency / 911 so that Expanded 911 works ok.

    Rick Merrill, May 19, 2006