govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by harry, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. harry

    harry Guest

    http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ would be a good place to start.
    harry, Feb 22, 2004

  2. harry

    L33T Guest

    all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.

    "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
    account of disabilities. "

    great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    another **two** years time.

    so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.
    L33T, Feb 22, 2004

  3. L33T wrote:
    > all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    > "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    > connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
    > account of disabilities. "
    > great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    > another **two** years time.

    Maybe they want them to work for Cellphone connections?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  4. harry

    L33T Guest

    i hadn't considered that, primarily because of mallards comments about the
    need for govt websites to be loadable at 9.6 for those who can't afford the
    latest technology. they also may live in the wrong place - i read that as
    rural or isolated.

    L33T, Feb 22, 2004
  5. harry

    steve Guest

    L33T wrote:

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    >
    > all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    >
    > "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    > connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and
    > take account of disabilities. "
    >
    > great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6
    > in another **two** years time.
    >
    > so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

    A fair number of people in NZ live in aplces where the electric fence clicks
    make 9.6 seem like an impossible dream.

    I believe the government is doing the right thing in ensuring what they
    provide can be accessed by everyone who can keep a connection going long
    enough to be usable.
    steve, Feb 22, 2004
  6. harry

    harry Guest

    L33T wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    >
    > all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    >
    > "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    > connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
    > account of disabilities. "
    >
    > great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    > another **two** years time.
    >
    > so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

    Excellent news
    Well done Mark Harris !
    Text information needs to be made available in plain html for the blind
    using text to speech
    Listen to the web designers whine !
    Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
    do with universal access to information.
    harry, Feb 22, 2004
  7. harry

    steve Guest

    harry wrote:

    > Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
    > do with universal access to information.

    At risk of repeating myself - I agree. :)
    steve, Feb 22, 2004
  8. L33T wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    > all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    > "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    > connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
    > account of disabilities. "
    > great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    > another **two** years time.
    > so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

    If they started making webpages that took 15 mins to load on dialup,
    would that be supportive of unbundling?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2004
  9. harry

    JedMeister Guest

    This is good...like yahoo main page loads really quickly while it looks and
    functions OK too.

    JedMeister, Feb 22, 2004
  10. harry

    Chris Guest

    "L33T" <> wrote in

    > i hadn't considered that, primarily because of mallards comments about
    > the need for govt websites to be loadable at 9.6 for those who can't
    > afford the latest technology. they also may live in the wrong place -
    > i read that as rural or isolated.
    >
    >> Maybe they want them to work for Cellphone connections?

    I'm glad you have raised the issue of mallard's. Mallard's are ducks, have
    no understanding of IT and tend to CRAP everywhere. I don't think there is
    any cause for alarm.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 22, 2004
  11. harry

    Chris Guest

    harry <> wrote in

    > L33T wrote:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    >>
    >> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    >>
    >> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    >> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently
    >> and take account of disabilities. "
    >>
    >> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of
    >> 9.6 in another **two** years time.
    >>
    >> so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.
    >>

    > Excellent news
    > Well done Mark Harris !
    > Text information needs to be made available in plain html for the
    > blind using text to speech
    > Listen to the web designers whine !
    > Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
    > do with universal access to information.

    Bingo !

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 22, 2004
  12. harry

    Max Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:36 +1300, "L33T"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    >
    >all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    >
    >"The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    >connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
    >account of disabilities. "
    >
    >great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    >another **two** years time.
    >
    >so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

    The fact is, if people are going to connect to the internet using very
    old computers and old unpatched versions of windows, then there is
    going to be big issues with security and viruses.
    Certainly that article shows that the government doesn't have much
    faith in NZs ability to grow affordable broadband throughout the
    country in the near future.
    Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
    hardware to use them.
    Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
    computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
    the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
    haven't thought of that)
    Max, Feb 23, 2004
  13. harry

    L33T Guest

    L33T, Feb 23, 2004
  14. harry

    Chris Guest

    "L33T" <> wrote in

    > ??? are you serious ???
    >
    > a computer is simply a consumer item. some people know how to use
    > them, some don't. some ppl know how to use them really well, some ppl
    > know how to use it really well, badly.
    >
    > who decides what the site + matching computer hardware standards
    > should be ? ibm ? dell ? telecom ? ihug ? peaches and cream ? indira
    > patel at the dairy ? school kids ? woger ? (see a pattern emerging).
    >

    >> Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
    >> hardware to use them.
    >> Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
    >> computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
    >> the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
    >> haven't thought of that)

    Yeah, I saw a pattern "peaches and cream" "indira patel at the dairy"
    "school kids" "woger" but wait, "indira patel at the dairy" ? No, no, no,
    take out indira.... and then you have a pattern..."peaches and cream",
    "school kids", "woger"..

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 23, 2004
  15. harry

    Max Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:04:04 +1300, "L33T"
    <> wrote:

    >??? are you serious ???
    >
    >a computer is simply a consumer item. some people know how to use them, some
    >don't. some ppl know how to use them really well, some ppl know how to use
    >it really well, badly.
    >
    >who decides what the site + matching computer hardware standards should be ?
    >ibm ? dell ? telecom ? ihug ? peaches and cream ? indira patel at the dairy
    >? school kids ? woger ? (see a pattern emerging).
    >

    >> Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
    >> hardware to use them.
    >> Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
    >> computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
    >> the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
    >> haven't thought of that)

    The goverenments decision is just so backward, that I though I would
    throw in a suggestion. I am sure MS would love my idea of having
    computers only using software and hardware of a certain newness
    connected to the interent :)
    Max, Feb 23, 2004
  16. harry

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "L33T" <> wrote in

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
    >
    > all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
    >
    > "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
    > connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently
    > and take account of disabilities. "

    Good, because as a dial-up user I prefer web sites to load up text before
    the rest of the fluff like pics, and I like my pics to be progressive, so
    that they just get sharper as they download. Good move IMHO, and I hope
    that every important page has a printer friendly version available too.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 23, 2004
  17. harry

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:36 +1300, L33T wrote:

    > great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
    > another **two** years time.

    It is indeed good to see that the Government is wanting all it's websites
    to be FAST websites.

    Good news indeed - good design principle - fast-loading.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our
    Lennier, Feb 23, 2004
  18. harry

    L33T Guest

    lol , forgot to add stranded whalke at 90 mile beach after school kids.

    L33T, Feb 23, 2004
  19. harry

    L33T Guest

    good to have fast web sites, what concerned me was the expectation that
    nothing will change technology wise or political wise to set a speed
    standard so **low** for another 2 years.

    L33T, Feb 23, 2004
  20. harry

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:49:24 +1300, L33T wrote:

    > good to have fast web sites, what concerned me was the expectation that
    > nothing will change technology wise or political wise to set a speed
    > standard so **low** for another 2 years.

    It's nothing to do with that - the egovt unit and the commerce commission
    are very separate parts of the govt, and the egovt unit has been
    refining and working on slowly phasing these guidelines in for years.

    Lets face it, there is bugger all reason to bloat out government websites.
    Just give people the content they went looking for without the extra crap.
    You want the audience for this info to be as wide and as inclusive as
    possible - it isn't there to entertain people while they look up the stuff
    the need. You also can't predict where and when and on what device people
    will be needing this stuff - requiring it to be kept light is the only
    rational option.

    It also means wasting less taxpayer money on bandwidth, server capacity
    and expensive 'deziners'.

    I'm all for it.

    Cheers
    Anton