Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heard it here first!!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006.

  1. woohoo!!
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006

  2. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > woohoo!!

    Ironic, on the day that Telecom cut news groups, the government bares it's
    teeth (after 7 years of being butt-f***d by telecom)
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006

  3. TyphoonTycoon, May 3, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    XPD Guest

    "TyphoonTycoon" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 17:30:56 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> woohoo!!

    > Link to government announcement
    > http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=25636

    Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing one fact
    in that..... WHEN ?
    Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs later
    something happens... :-/
    XPD, May 3, 2006
  5. On Wed, 3 May 2006 17:30:56 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > woohoo!!

    w00p w00p

    - posted from an ISP who still knows about Usenet
    wogers nemesis, May 3, 2006
  6. "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "TyphoonTycoon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 03 May 2006 17:30:56 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> woohoo!!

    >> Link to government announcement
    >> http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=25636
    >>

    > Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing one
    > fact in that..... WHEN ?
    > Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs later
    > something happens... :-/

    500 years from now. Buck Rogers can then visit Auckland, and surf using
    telstra clear equipment.
    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    TakeME Brett Guest

    radion nz has interview now
    TakeME Brett, May 3, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    RayC Guest

    10 years to late. but good to hear.

    RayC, May 3, 2006
  9. "RayC" <> wrote in message
    > 10 years to late. but good to hear.
    >
    > "TakeME Brett" <> wrote in message
    > > radion nz has interview now

    I'd have a beer, but then I'd have to go see my dentist twice in the same
    day.

    It'll prorably take a long time for the economics of putting gear in in
    smaller rural town like mine. Never the less, the clock is ticking that much
    closer.
    Gavin & Sandy, May 3, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > woohoo!!

    About time
    Nik Coughlin, May 3, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Re: Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heardit here first!!!!

    What did the Telecom share price do between 10am and 5pm today?
    Stu Fleming, May 3, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > What did the Telecom share price do between 10am and 5pm today?

    The announcement was after the close of the NZ stock exchange, but on
    the Aus exchange the price dropped 7% immediately.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 3, 2006
  13. Re: Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heardit here first!!!!

    Gavin & Sandy wrote:
    > "RayC" <> wrote in message
    >> 10 years to late. but good to hear.
    >>
    >> "TakeME Brett" <> wrote in message
    >>> radion nz has interview now
    >>>

    > I'd have a beer, but then I'd have to go see my dentist twice in the same
    > day.
    >
    > It'll prorably take a long time for the economics of putting gear in in
    > smaller rural town like mine. Never the less, the clock is ticking that much
    > closer.

    Congratulations Gavin and Sandy. It appears your post was the last one
    in nz.comp to make it out of the Xtra news server.

    Wonder if you'll get to see this.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 3, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Bruce Knox Guest

    wrote:

    >woohoo!!
    >
    >Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heard it here first!!!!

    Well... Actually I heard it last friday (or rumour of it anyway).

    Better than good news though. Think I will have wine to celebrate!

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, May 3, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > woohoo!!

    Round 1 to the .govt
    Ive yet to see Telecom lie down and take it easy, so the battles only really
    begun IMO
    Its a pity there has to be so much of a fight, over something that at one
    point nobody wanted, so the then Telecom picked up as a community service

    http://www.wlug.org.nz/NewZealandInternetHistory
    Between 1995/1996 and 2001.

    * Waikato no longer main connectivity. Rex Croft not looking after .nz.
    Telecom/Netway got it because nobody else wanted it.

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 3, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    Ever start writing about something in your blog/diary and suddenly think,
    shit.. Telecom still own the Southern Cross Cable, they will simply create
    a bottle neck there? To slow the other ISP's down
    (Please someone tell me Im way off and they cant do that)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 3, 2006
  17. Re: Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heardit here first!!!!

    Shane wrote:
    > Ever start writing about something in your blog/diary and suddenly think,
    > shit.. Telecom still own the Southern Cross Cable, they will simply create
    > a bottle neck there? To slow the other ISP's down
    > (Please someone tell me Im way off and they cant do that)

    The Southern Cross Cable has multiple owners. Telecom may well have the
    others tied up contractually however.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 3, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    thingy Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > woohoo!!

    :D

    Of course I expect Telecom will try legal options to forstall this?

    Hopefully they will lose.

    :D

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 3, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    bob Guest

    Eeexcelent.
    bob, May 3, 2006
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    Evans Guest

    I smell a rat - perhaps Labour will unbundle Telecom after the next
    election...

    the battle only just begun...

    Evans, May 3, 2006