Government Determined To Control For Monitoring The Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by tightwad, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. tightwad

    tightwad Guest

    tightwad, Nov 15, 2005

  2. tightwad

    Winged Guest

    tightwad wrote:

    >>> Government showdown could break up Internet, experts warn

    >>> <http://www.physorg.com/news8159.html>

    >>> Also see: EU says Internet control plan gains support

    >>> <http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10050081/>

    I have worked with the Europeans on various Standard boards.

    I remember a situation on the ANSI X-12 standard committee when we were
    trying to move the ANSI X-12 standard to the ISO standards board. The
    insisted that the European Edifact standard was far more robust, even
    robust enough to encompass everything that the X-12 standard was capable
    of, or it would with modification when they published the Edifact2000M
    standard. This irrespective of the fact that ANSI X12 EDI standard met
    the EDI set requirements they had previously agreed to. They insisted
    they would block attempts to move ANSI X-12 to an ISO standard even
    though they had nothing that would meet the requirement. To make a long
    story short, we agreed to let the European consortium would modify the
    Edifact standard to meet the EDI requirements. That was 20 years ago.
    Edifact 2000M never met the data interchange requirements, something
    most of the ANSI X-12 participants knew from the beginning, who were
    familiar with the Edifact standard. Why did the European consortium
    make this stand, very simple, money and lots of it was involved.

    Money is also the driver here. After my exp of working with the Euro
    consortium I honestly could give a damn if they choose to break what
    ICANN has managed fairly successfully for a number of years. Let the
    Euro group break their communications and split from the Internet.

    This can be done and be managed. They can use their choice of odd
    controls, but it should be at their own peril and that of their people.
    This can be accomplished and the Internet can be zoned off. But I
    have seen nothing in my humble experience that shows that an multitude
    group could accomplish better and cheaper than ICANN. The only
    motivation I see here is dynamics at play that don't make much sense
    from an operational perspective. I feel if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    I am obviously missing something here. (Actually once again major money
    is involved) At this juncture while major efforts are to move the net to
    IPV6 are underway worldwide I am a bit hesitant to throw the baby out
    with the wash water.

    It might work out just fine to have an international consortium, but I
    suspect it would drive costs up, create more fractualization of the net
    and impede finally getting IPV6 implemented which again IMHO is terribly
    important to move to the next generation web. We do not need more tiers
    added before the IPV6 migration is complete.

    Perhaps we should agree when the consortium fully moves to the Euro...naw..

    Winged
    Winged, Nov 16, 2005