    another. Which of these 2 programs would be the better and easiest to use?
    Or is there a better program? Does each computer have to have the same
    program installed to do this?

    Shirley Azvedo, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Jammer Guest

    Shirley Azvedo wrote:
    > Want to be able to access my computer in one state, while at my
    > sister's in another. Which of these 2 programs would be the better
    > and easiest to use? Or is there a better program? Does each computer
    > have to have the same program installed to do this?

    PC Anywhere is a good program .
    --
    Jammer

    Jammer, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    Richard Guest

    Shirley Azvedo wrote:

    > Want to be able to access my computer in one state, while at my
    > sister's in
    > another. Which of these 2 programs would be the better and easiest to
    > use?
    > Or is there a better program? Does each computer have to have the
    > same
    > program installed to do this?

    The problem with either is, you have to leave your main computer on all the
    time, online.
    Which makes it susceptible to attacks.
    If you run a firewall, how ya gonna get past it?
    Oh and then, is it on dialup, cable or dsl?
    Does your ISP allow 24x7 online hooks?
    If you're on dialup, what happens when the phone line goes dead? Then what?

    Yes both machines must have the same software installed.

    Richard, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    -Lone_Wolf- Guest

    Shirley Azvedo wrote:
    > Want to be able to access my computer in one state, while at my
    > sister's in another. Which of these 2 programs would be the better
    > and easiest to use? Or is there a better program? Does each computer
    > have to have the same program installed to do this?

    www.realvnc.com

    I am using the beta Ver 4.0 (I prefer it to the other version offered) and
    it is great... I have it set up on all my PC's on the LAN and any of the
    PC's of frequent whiners who call me when they screw something up.

    Just make sure you set up a very good password and fully prepare any
    firewalls before trying to gain access remotely.

    Setting up TCP on ports 5900 and 5800 on the firewall's NAT seems to do the
    trick on routers and hardware firewalls and getting thru Sygate and Zone
    alarm firewalls is a breeze.

    Even allows you to send a 3 finger salute to the remote PC. It works better
    than XP's Remote assistance program especially when the remote PC has a
    louse upload bandwidth.

    Best of all its free!

    John

    -Lone_Wolf-, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Shirley Azvedo

    roach Guest

    if your after simple file transfers then fileshare is excellent and it only
    needs installing on one pc

    roach

    roach, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Shirley Azvedo

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:56:28 GMT, "Shirley Azvedo"
    <> wrote:

    >Want to be able to access my computer in one state, while at my sister's in
    >another. Which of these 2 programs would be the better and easiest to use?
    >Or is there a better program? Does each computer have to have the same
    >program installed to do this?

    Here's soome information I collected when my boss asked me about that.
    Some is an email from a friend who used it.

    Hi Bill,

    Yes, I used "gotomypc" but its not software that we bought.
    It's an internet service.
    We paid $ 200 for a one year contract for 3 separate users.
    What we had to do, after Mike signed up, set up a user password for
    all three computers, then Each of us had to go to our own computer at
    the office, and log-in for the first time, assigning ourselves our own
    log-in and password.
    Now, if we intend to use this service, we can NOT turn off the
    computer when we leave work This is OK with us because we never do in
    the first place. We only turn off our monitors if anything.
    Advantage is that not only can I then turn my computer at home into my
    computer at work, but I can go ANYWHERE on ANYONE'S computer ( Jawwad
    did this while on vacation in India recently) and as long as that
    computer has Internet access, viola'.
    You can also tell it to print, and it will print something ready and
    waiting for you in the office when you return, or, you can tell it to
    print to the one that that particular computer is hooked up to.
    Another advantage is that of course you can access EVERYTHING as if
    you were right there in the office.
    The only problem is that it is slower, and, if you lose your network
    connection at the office, then you are stuck. But, how often does
    that happen?

    PC Anywhere, we also have here in the office that is Software that you
    need to purchase, and there is no other fee. We use that software to
    work with our clients for supporting them, as this allows us to turn
    our computer into theirs and access and or view their files / work at
    the same time.
    Disadvantages: Uses the telephone lines instead of the internet
    (phone usage and fees). But, the worst thing is that you can only
    turn other computers into your personal office one IF the computer you
    are on, also has PC Anywhere software. Jawwad could not accomplish
    that in India, nor on a cruise ship. ha-ha.

    Hopes this helps...Oh, they allow you to try it for free for 30
    minutes or something. Mike tried it first here in the office, then he
    was at my house accessing his computer first before we actually bought
    into their service.

    ---------------
    Copied from several newsgroups and may be dated. I have no record of
    the original source(s)
    ---------------

    I'd like a less expensive solution that will allow me to temporary
    access a computer over the web to control a computer. The problem
    lies in the fact that I would have to change host PC every day. Is
    there any product that will do what I want for 20-50$ a month?

    No, but there's a pretty darn good one for free -
    http://www.tightvnc.com. It's not quite as fast as the commercial
    alternatives, but it's pretty fast, and it's not as intrusive into the
    machine's operating system fuctions as the commercial programs (i.e.,
    it won't make your client's machine unbootable like PC Anywhere has
    been known to do).

    And you could put a half dozens copies of the client software program
    on a floppy disk.

    I have used VNC (normal and Tight), PcAnyWhere, LapLink and GoToMyPc.
    But, at a recommendation of another consultant, I started to try
    Remote Administrator for Windows (Radmin)... www.radmin.com
    <http://www.radmin.com>.

    The client side fits on a floppy disk, and can be installed via a copy
    command. The server needs is slightly more intrusive, but much leaner
    than PcAnyWhere. Several conclusions about Radmin.

    (1) I will be registering for this product ($35 for two PCs).

    (2) Radmin is much faster than VNC in remote access. The interface
    takes seconds to learn. Very lean client. But I was not pleased when
    scrolling Excel sheets (e.g. scroll a column off the screen and the
    full screen needs to be repainted).
    (3) PcAnyWhere had quicker remote access, especially in the 2 or 4
    color mode. Over and internal LAN, the differenses between Radmin and
    PcAnyWhere were small. Over my ADSL from Verizon (at the slowest rate
    because of the distance from the switching station), the difference is
    larger, especially in Excel (see above).

    (4) Radmin has four modes: remote access, remote access for viewing
    only, file transfer (very fast, seems like it only transfers the parts
    that have changed like LapLink and PcAnyWhere), and a telnet (e.g.
    limited DOS windows for NT/2000 only). VNC does not have file
    transfer.

    (5) Radmin has limited security options. One password per server.

    (6) It is easy to configure the port for Radmin, as is VNC, for
    operating in NAT environments. PcAnyWhere needs registry tweaking.
    GotoMyPC has the edge here, since it does not require the IP/Port
    mappings in a NAT environment. If you are operating the server
    station in NAT environment, and are not able to configure your router,
    GotoMyPc is the only answer with these remote access programs.

    (7) Only VNC supports Linux. Radmin is pure Windows.
    (8) VNC can operate with no client software using a browser that
    supports Java. But for this, if you are operating behind a router
    using NAT, the router needs additional port / IP addressing.

    I like the licensing of VNC, the security and remote access speed of
    PcAnyWhere, but the price/performance/ease of installation of Radmin
    is the best.

    Peek Into Your PC From Anywhere Stephanie Bruzzese From the May 2001
    issue of PC World magazine Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2001 On the
    road--and missing an important file left behind on your office system?
    With remote PC-access software, you can quickly save the day. New
    entrants in this category include the Web-based *GoToMyPC* from
    Expertcity and an updated version of the long-standing *PCAnywhere*
    from Symantec. *GoToMyPC's* simplicity makes a better fit for newbies
    who need to access less-sensitive data, while
    *PCAnywhere* 10's complex user interface and features speak to tech
    buffs and IT managers.

    In my tests, remote file and application transfers worked well with
    both programs but didn't execute as quickly as if I were working on
    the remote PCs themselves. Both are supposed to be compatible with
    Windows 9x, NT, 2000, and Millennium.

    Using a beta of *GoToMyPC*, I quickly established an account at
    Expertcity's Web site, filled a blank window with a nickname for the
    computer I wanted to access, and clicked the Add Computer button.
    After a few more clicks, that nickname appeared in my account window.
    To gain remote access to the first PC, I went to another system with
    Web access, logged in to my *GoToMyPC* account, and clicked the
    Connect button next to my desired PC's nickname. That system's
    desktop popped up moments later.

    I also easily installed a shipping copy of *PCAnywhere* on my remote
    system, clicked the Remote button, and right-clicked the icon to
    indicate the type of connection I used. Multiple tabs then appeared,
    through which I could set connection information, security options,
    item protection, and more. I also made additional choices, including
    the Internet protocol address of the host and automatic shutdown after
    my session. I then repeated the same process on the host computer,
    creating a successful connection.

    This version of *PCAnywhere* boasts a number of new features. Among
    them are security enhancements, such as a remote-access perimeter
    scanner that scans network and telephone lines for unprotected
    systems; a Packager tool that enables more-flexible installs; and
    file-transfer enhancements, including a list of directories accessed
    previously.

    The simple *GoToMyPC* Web interface will charm new users, but its
    security may make IT managers uneasy. The *GoToMyPC* desktop app
    handles firewalls by periodically checking with *GoToMyPC's* servers
    to see if a user is trying to log in. But while providing 128-bit
    encryption of data streams and SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption,
    *GoToMyPC* lacks *PCAnywhere's* extra security features, such as the
    ability to limit log-in attempts and restart the remote system. Of
    course, both programs require that the remote PC be left on, and both
    help protect against intruders--*GoToMyPC* by locking the host's
    keyboard, *PCAnywhere*
    with passwords.

    Individuals should find *GoToMyPC* a handy way to retrieve forgotten
    files; the beta version is free until May 1. Enterprises may feel
    more comfortable using hyper-security-sensitive *PCAnywhere* 10, which
    costs $180 (discounts for multiple units).

    Anybody have pro/con comments on www.gotomypc.com? I actually
    installed it on my desktop and was amazed how easy (and fast) it
    performed. I am accessing my work computer from my home. My home is
    a dynamic cable modem, my work is a dynamic dsl connection.

    For those of you who do not have experience with gotomypc, it acts
    like PCAnywhere but you are accessing the remote computer with your
    browser. Now, I save long distance charges compared to my dial-up
    PCAnywhere. Also, this is fater than my PCAnywhere (dial-up)
    connection.

    Catch? About $19.95 a month charge ($14 something if you pay year in
    advance).

    When I did a groups.google.com search for gotomypc, there were some
    comments about security. There was a posting to indicate that there
    are alternatives that are cheaper or free, I have not explored these.
    Besides, I don't know if these other alternatives can handle the
    dynamic IP of my connection(s) plus the fact that I am behind a
    Linksys router on both ends.

    That one works via the web. However, you can also use AT&T's free
    VNC.

    It can be found at:

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ However, there is even a better
    version at:

    http://www.tightvnc.com/ The client software for vnc can fit on a
    floppy disk, and does NOT even need to be installed. You can thus get
    to your desk top from any web enabled pc.
    (you just carry the floppy disk!).

    It will not work at those internet kiosks as the air port, as many
    don't have a floppy disk, or allow software to be run from a floppy
    disk (if they do!, then you can use vnc). However, if you just need
    to access your pc remotely, and are looking for a 100% free solution,
    then VNC should be check out.

    Vnc has been around for years..and I use it for many of my clients
    (several times a week in fact). As mentioned, I suggest that you use
    tightVnc.

    Of course, if you are running win2000 server edition, or window XP,
    then remote support is built in. You don't need any software on the
    host side.
    This is based on windows terminal server (that was bough from the
    Citrix folks). This is a *true* api over the net. Thus, it runs
    absolute circles around stuff like vnc, or pc-anywhere, or GoToMyPc.
    Those programs send graphics down the wire...where as Terminal Server
    sends only api *commands*.

    It certainly makes sense that all computers can be accessed anywhere
    and anytime. As mentioned, XP now this feature built in.

    If you have a choice, you want to use the windows TS stuff, as is many
    times better than the other solutions. However, if you don't have
    win2000, or XP, then the tightVNC is a great way to go (it is a free
    open source program).

    Bill, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Shirley Azvedo

    mhill Guest

    Yes, PC Anywhere is good, so is RemotePC and Gotomypc.
    We use RemotePC ((http://www.ibackup.com/remote_access/) in our office
    and we are pretty impressed with the speed and security that they
    provide. You will be able to remotely access different remote resources
    through an Internet connection and across several Windows platforms. It
    also works behind most firewalls without any special port settings
    making remote access simpler.

    Cheers
    Marcie Hill

    mhill, Dec 24, 2004
  8. Shirley Azvedo

    billheaven

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Both are good. Another alternative which you may try out is GoSupportNow. It is easy to use and works flawlessly on MAC and Windows computers.

    billheaven, Dec 19, 2013